1. Vince524

Vince524 New Member

Dirty, stinky, filthy job needed

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Vince524, Jan 21, 2011.

I have a new idea I'm working on. But I need a stinky kind of job for it.

The MC is a teen, young adult. Somewhere between HS & college, I haven't decided yet. He gets involved in a supternatral job, but the company gives him a cover.

I want it to be a job that may call him out at odd hours, may require some travel so he needs a car, and would explain why he often returns filthy, smelly and digusting. Preferably a job no one would want, either.

He'll live in a city suburb area, so I don't think septic tanks will work. It's ok if it's not a real job either.

Any thoughts?

2. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

1. Farm -- dealing with manure and sweat (not sure how rural the suburb is, but maybe there's a farm that's 30 mins driving distance?)
    2. Cleaning someone's disgusting basement or house
    3. Doing a gross job at a fast food restaurant. One of my former roommates worked at Burger King and always smelled like fast food, but if you put your MC in charge of something like scrubbing plates, it could get gross.
    4. Trash pickup
    5. Pollution cleanup
    6. Maintenance of a pond at a park that always smells like pond scum
    7. Cleaning fish or something for a butcher

That's all I can think of now, hope I helped.

3. PurpleCandle

PurpleCandle New Member

Rat exterminator

Toilet overflow cleaner (when sewers clog or rain backs up the system, basement toilets overflow spilling sewage all over basements)

Sewer inspector

Stump remover/anything to do with landscaping

Mosquito control

Chimney sweeper

looking for scrap metal

hot tar roofer

4. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Those are all great ideas.

Another one....cockroach exterminator (SHUDDER)

5. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

Boy do I have a show for you! There is a show called Dirtiest Jobs hosted by Mike Rowe. Basicly what he did was go around the country and would learn about the dirtiest jobs out there. Not only would he learn about them, but he is actually trained and he performs these jobs that most people would stay avoid doing.

You should check it out. :p

6. FrankABlissett

FrankABlissett Active Member

He cleans up after people have died. No special training needed - just be a good housekeeper (really good) and have a strong stomach.

Such people get called by the family/landlord when someone has died *ahem* a number of weeks ago. First, the authorities are called and the body removed. Then someone has to clean up the various slimy stains, maggots, etc.

Such people may be called as an emergency if someone really, really wants the clean-up done NOW, or might work odd hours to fit around a full-time job.

On the other hand, so unusual a job may draw questions "that's interesting - tell me about it."

-Frank

1 person likes this.
  7. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

Cleaning out apartments where mentally ill / mentally disabled people have lived.

8. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Scraping fat off the sewer walls :)

9. evelon

evelon Active Member

Yuk! This bacon and mushroom omlette doesn't look quite so inviting now.

10. Elgaisma

LOL sorry was listening to Radio 2 and remembered the fuss over who from the One Show was going to do it for Children in Need :)

11. Islander

Islander Contributor Contributor

When I saw the title, I immediately thought, "Telemarketing!" Then I realised you meant physically dirty, stinky and filthy...

12. Elgaisma

Maybe Telemarketing in a farm yard - a local farmer has set up a new call centre but you have to go through the farm to get there lol OOH a job for my male beauty contestant me thinks :)

13. Allegro Van Kiddo

Allegro Van Kiddo New Member

A plumber is a great idea.

14. zaphod

zaphod Member

You'd need some creative license to make the all-hours schedule thing work, but what about something that is related to meat processing, rendering plants, garbage collection, etc. Also there are no septic tanks in the city but there are grease traps and places where the grease ends up going.

This is also definitely a workplace "nobody" wants, however when you say "nobody", this means immigrants illegal or otherwise. That is something to account for.

15. lolcatluvr

lolcatluvr New Member

Mwb

What about a medical waste burner for the hospital? you know, at midnight he might get called to burn a bucket of infected stuff, and it might get on him a little? :p

16. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Working for FEMA or other disaster-relief agencies. Whether it is sewage redeposited over a flood zone, petroleum spills, fires and explosions spreading toxic materials, or human and animal corpses from nearly any catastrophe, it will be dirty, smelly, and exhausting.

17. Vince524

Vince524 New Member

Thank you all. I'm still rolling it around in my head.

Narrowed it down to where he is just out of high school. Like I said, the job is something that explains why he comes home really stinky a lot.

I was thinking of a job that they clean any mess, from crime scenes to sewers? Is there a sewer cleaners?