1. Top Cat

Top Cat Senior Member

Disciple's Discipline and Motivational Strategies

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Top Cat, Nov 23, 2010.

I'm curious like the cat - what are your disciplinary tactics. How the hell do you all keep focused, and eager? Motivated, and disciplined.

I suffer from bouts of laziness. Each flat I've lived in, I've had to hide the TV (if we had one at all) and murder my house mates. But sadly, the interwebs is probably the biggest enemy of all! Checking one's emails about 15000 times a day. (Internet Anonymous, anyone?)

So yesh, how do you get into the zone? And stay there? :D

2. Jaybrownuk

Jaybrownuk Member

I tend to write in a room other than my own. Say the spare room where there is no TV to draw my attention away. If I have no research to do I will turn off the net connection and just knuckle down. I also set time limits say three hour blocks then go and do something else for an hour or two and come back to it (when I have the time) :cool:

3. Klogg

Klogg Member

The best way I found is to disconnect the internet. Like you, it is way too much of a distraction for me to get anything done. I get on the internet to find the answer to a little question or do a little research and I am gone. It'll take me the better part of an hour to get back to writing. Having other people in the house is a similar distraction.

I have a short attention span so I find it helpful to take my laptop to a nice cozy place outside the house. Not public but in public if you get my meaning. For example tucked away into a corner of a public gathering place. For those of us with short attention spans, there is enough going on around you to allow you to drift away from your work for a minute or two at a time to watch people but not enough to keep you away from it for much longer than that.

4. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributing Member Contributor

To be honest I don't know it is not like me to stick at something like this. I just love the story and want to know what happens next most of the time. My current character is misbehaving lol And it is so much fun.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

...don't need/have any...

...don't have to work at it, i just am...

...don't know what you mean by 'the zone' but if you mean wanting to write, it's just my natural state... seem to have been born with it...

6. Top Cat

Top Cat Senior Member

I wish that would work for my dissertation :rolleyes:

7. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributing Member Contributor

oh I do have a zone makes me sound a bit like a nut job - but I have a pen name - Anya kind of writes my books for me. For me she is as much a character as Socrates or Angus from my books. I meditate and place myself as her. She dresses a bit different etc

8. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

Internet is sometimes a distraction, but more often I duck on to it while writing for research purposes. The TV is never a distraction. If it were up to me and me alone, I wouldn't even have one. Other than the odd sporting event, I can't remember the last time I HAD to watch something on TV.

9. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Supporter Contributor

I don't have a whole lot.

I try to have a consistent time to write every day, though I don't always meet that goal.

When I am writing, I use a full-screen text editor like WriteMonkey or FocusWriter, where I can't click over into my web browser and mess around very easily :)

10. mikeinseattle

mikeinseattle Member

good thread. :)