1. fantasy girl

fantasy girl New Member

Discription

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by fantasy girl, Dec 7, 2009.

Hi. I'm having a problem. My english teacher is always saying I have great discriptive ability, but to me, it all sounds really cliche (SP?).

Has anyone got any tips or techniques to improve on discription?

Fantasy Girl xx

2. hszmv

hszmv New Member

Hey, if other people like it, what's the problem? I always felt my over reliance on action and dialog and under alliance on physical discription was a crutch, but what I have shared with people, they thoroughly enjoyed.

I guess I would need a better description of why you think it's cliche. For my above "issues" with my writing, I always felt I left out distinguising freatures of the character out, and when I don't, I focus on one too much (i.e. I tend to identify people w/o names by hair color and/or style).

3. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

1) It would be hard to really answer your question without some more definite example of what you mean.

2) I have to agree with hszmv here in that writers use different things in different ways. Like hszmv I tend to be very dialogue heavy with no too much in the way of exposition. Does that make my writing poor? No, not in and of itself. It just means that that is my personal style.

4. DragonGrim

DragonGrim New Member

Most people can be very descriptive. I think choosing what to describe and what not to lies the real art. And it’s about being artistic and not flowery. Small details add up in the readers mind. One can’t paint a masterwork in a single paragraph.

1 person likes this.
  5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

read the best works of the best writers and compare what you find there to what you write... that will answer your questions...

and, btw, it's 'description'... ;-)