1. Spherical Time

Spherical Time New Member

Discuss the Interview with Steven Brust

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Spherical Time, Nov 25, 2006.

Hey all, I took some initiative and did this interview with one of my favorite writers, Steven Brust. Check it out and comment if you want.

2. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

Firstly, Spherical Time, thanks for taking the initiative! It's appreciated by me, and I'm sure by the members as well.

Anyway, as for the interview, I enjoyed his outlined final comments, particularly the bit about not telling very many people about your book until you get published.

3. Spherical Time

His writing style came out in the interview. There were a few things that were quintessential Brust, I think.

My other favorite writers though, haven't really responded, and I'm afraid that I offended or upset one of them.

You're right, the suggestions about not telling anyone your a writer are good/funny.

Too bad though, that Devera doesn't appear.

4. Slickriptide

Slickriptide New Member

Good job with the interview. Those were some interesting questions that managed to avoid the old "Where do you get your ideas" stuff. Despite the answers being typical Steve, it looks like he took a genuine interest in the topics. There was a lot of stuff there I hadn't seen from him before when answering typical interview-style questions.

Interesting interview.

5. Spherical Time

I loved the seventeen part answer. I don't get to see many people with my broken neck and all, so I think I've mentioned that to every single person I've seen in the last three or four days.

6. Max Vantage

Max Vantage Banned

He's just contradicted every piece of advice he gave in that interview :rolleyes: :D :D

7. Spherical Time

That's one of the things that makes this interview sound so much like him.

But he's right, in some ways, too.

8. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Good questions, interesting answers. Good job!

Terry

9. zerobytes

zerobytes New Member

Great interview Spherical Time.

I heard another writer (NY Times best seller) say that this is the biggest no no. He said that people hardly ever finish something that they are constantly trying to edit - and then if they do finish and try to publish they'll have to go back and re-edit everything anyway. I think this is some great advice.
    I've thought the same thing a bunch of times. Even thought about PMing people here to start one. I really like his advice on this one though. It's important that you are producing stuff and reviewing it before joining a group.
    HAHA I say that all the time and NO ONE knows it. Good to see someone else out there has a passion for Westerns :D
    I think this is also some really great advice. Believing in your abilities is KEY to successfully producing
    I come from an acting background and the same is true there. Don't let people sell you into publishing.
    great suggestion. I've gotten tons of ideas from history classes and books.

Thanks again for an informative and helpful interview Spherical Time. Let's just hope we all create the opportunities to use the advice :)

zb

10. snuffyb

snuffyb New Member

Beginner

Being critiqued for the first time makes me the happiest :) writer I know. The advise SB gives will be taken to heart as I move forward in my endeavor. Thanks.

11. wordwizard

wordwizard New Member

That was great! It made me want to go write and write and write. This interview is very appreciated Speherical time!

12. Pook

Pook New Member

The pointers at the end are inspirational and should be visible to all who come to the site.

Very enjoyable