1. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

Disgusting low act!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Speedy, Oct 31, 2008.

Short story In Australia, a 17 and 19 year old decided it would be okay to go into a zoo and beat-up and 78 year old, half blind Pink Flamingo!

I really was sad when i saw this, and hope they get jail time, mother####ers!

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,24574238-5006301,00.html

First article, explaining situation

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,24580748-421,00.html

Day after report (recovery news etc)

[​IMG]
    By speedyjjj at 2008-10-30

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Words truly fail me. That kind of senseless cruelty is unfathomable.

It is sickening. And appalling. And abomidable. But if there is a word that really expresses it, I have yet to find it.

3. Speedy

I just couldnt believe it, no word really can express it. Just not (or shouldnt) be human.

I dont know how bad it is everywhere else, but the news over here is becoming flooded with animals crimes. Kid running over baby kittens with their bikes, kids cutting off a dogs head and hanging the torso from a tree, killing off endangered birds by the dozen, Burning animals...sad, sad world.

Try reading this one (some what recent)

At first it made me laugh, but more of it, god lord, what the 0.o

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=641204

4. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

Maybe we should blind and beat them up ..

eh

just imagine, if this is what we do to animals, then what of others and ourselves?

5. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Sadly, this is what humankind is like... what it has become like anyway.

If punishments were harsher, crime rates may just decrease. But it is highly unlikely that either will happen. When teens start doing violent acts like this... it makes you wonder what violent acts they will be committing is 6 months to 6 years time. Their punishment, what ever it is, will not be sufficient for the crime they have comitted to a defenceless animal that has never done a thing wrong by anyone.

Isn't it such a lovely and beautious world we live in? Oh we should all be so proud to be here, to be a disease, destroying our habitat and the habitat of millions of other species!

6. Little Miss Edi

Little Miss Edi New Member

I can't believe this...
    I just can't. Why? Where's the sense in it? How can these people think that's acceptable or get pleasure from it!?! It's absolutely sickening.

WTF.

I'll have to agree with previous posters - words fail me.

7. Raven

Raven Banned

I'm speechless. I love animals and this well It saddens me.

There really are sych cruel thugs and evil human beings out there its just... sad.

8. lessa

lessa New Member

It has been proven time and time again.
    start with small animals like cats and move on to
    bigger and better things.
    What when they get older will they go after.
    little old ladies trying to get groceries home?
    old men sitting in the park?
    Put them into a locked cage full of wild Canada Geese
    and let them try to come out with all their skin.
    There are no checks and balances for what people see
    as petty crimes anymore.
    Punishment should fit the crime and if they start with the
    small things maybe it would stop the escalation to bigger
    and worse crimes.
    Where parents fail then society has to take over but that
    is not being done.

9. Christoph

Christoph New Member

The stupid flamingo probably had it coming. Only not. -.-

That said, I don't like where the article was going in regards to repealing laws that protect the identities of people under 18, especially before there is a conviction. It bugs me that people are already using this for political purposes.

10. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

I just want to know...how did they arrive at that plan for the evening?

"What do you wanna do?"
    "I don't know..."
    "I'm feeling a little violent and reckless."
    "Yeah, me too."
    "Wanna break into the zoo and beat up a flamingo?"
    "Sounds great! I'm in."

A flamingo, though? I mean, as far as birds go, I would think they would have picked an ostrich or an emu. They would be a greater challenge.

If I was going to break into a zoo, I would at least do something interesting. Like ride a giraffe. Or have a squirt gun fight with the elephants.

11. lessa

lessa New Member

that's just it.
    ostrich or emus would be a challenge.
    they could hurt back.
    bullies pick on the weak.
    as for how they came up with the game,
    some lawyer will come up with a story that
    they were traumatized at one time by a pink flamingo
    stuffed animal and get them off with visits to a psychiatrist
    for 3 visits.

12. misaditas

misaditas New Member

A couple of weeks ago teens climbed the fence into our back garden (the gate is padlocked), took the rabbit hutch and passed it over the fence, took the rabbit out and strangled it. God only knows what they did to her before that. I certainly don't want to know.

Worst thing was she was left on the pavement at the front and our kids saw her on their way to school. Cue five very upset and traumatised kids.

We rang the police but it was "only a rabbit".

Since then "only" two other rabbits have met the same fate.

It's sick what some people will do to a dumb animal (that's dumb as unable to talk btw)

13. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Wow... That's every kind of F'd up. :(

But, strangely I must admit that I agree with those few who have chimed in about connecting this situation with repealing laws protecting the names of minors before a conviction is had. If the person is found guilty, heck, put those names up on bill-boards! You can have my tax dollar for that!

14. Carmina

Carmina Contributor Contributor

Sadly this is not a recent increase in violence towards animals. I have been seeing it all my life. It saddens and disgusts me. I was about 5 when the boy from down the street killed the toad that lived under my juniper with a baseball bat. It baffled me then why someone would think that was fun, and it baffles me now. I have personally called the ASPCA numerous times for people casually abusing their dogs. I have had a litter of kittens fed antifreeze. Another cat was shot with a bb-gun. We stopped lettin gout animals out. I volunteered at an animal rescue group as a foster home. Some of those animals were horribly abused. Litter of kitten tied up in plastic bags and thrown in a dumpster. Kittens less than a day old left in a cardboard box overnight in the middle of winter in a parking lot. Kitten taken away from teenager literally playing a game of catch with a four week-old kitten, tossing him back and forth over a hedge.

The meat industry is full of systematic abuse and cruelty. It generally doesn't make the news. It is accepted as the way it is. (I promise not to go off on a vegetariam rant)

The flamingo incident made the news because it was a zoo animal. It is disgusting and wrong. Worse abuse happens all the time and doesn't make the news. That is also disgusting and wrong.

I don't think that the penalties for animal cruelty are enough. I am also concerned when it is committed by a young person. Serial killers and other violent adults often start with violence against animals as youth. It shouldn't be a slap on the wrist. It should be taken seriously.

15. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

I feel there is bit of confusion in the issues because of the emotional nature of this crime.

First - Minors should have their identities protected. Many minors make mistakes that they outgrow and end up being good citizens. (When I was 14, I broke into a hardware store with two friends and stole all their guns, knives and rifles. Got caught, turned in all the weapons, paid for all the damages and never broke the law again. It was a stupid act of impulse by a few bored kids.)

Second - Criminals should be punished, and the punishment should fit the crime. These young people need to pay a stiff price for their vile actions.

Third - Mental illness underlying violent or self destructive actions should be addressed by society. Obviously, these minors have serious mental/character issues.

1) These young adults should be punished severely through the legal system. 2) Their identities should remain secret, simply due to their age. 3) And...here is the most important part...they did not just steal some clothes from a store or go joyriding in a stolen car. They engaged in a violent, premeditated attack on a defenseless animal. Such behavior is a reliable predictor of future behavior. Consequently, after the immediate punishment is completed, the system should impose mental health therapy and a very long period of close legal supervision over these two...I'm talking 10 to 20 years. If not watched closely, this behavior WILL escalate.

16. Ti Odio E Ti Amo

Ti Odio E Ti Amo New Member

That's a really good point there Sodium (couldn't help myself) because I don't think the way it is now is right.

I'm very anti-violence... I could never watch anything like that (not even in movies) let alone in real life. But for someone to partake in it, and to enjoy it... makes me wonder what is wrong with their mentality. We aren't in the period of ancient Rome, and it wasn't even acceptable then (even though it was).

I will never understand a person like that.

17. Speedy

I think deoending on the crime, there relly shoulb be a name/shame balance. I mean if were talking mrder then ok i understand why not. But if were talking about such a reckless, stupid, pointless act then it should be done. I think if your at least 16 and over then your old enough to know better.....but we live in a world of over protection, even to somer of the worst people around.

Sorry to hear this.

I've had like 5 cats so gfar and only one died of old age, 4 went missing. Now cats are adventurous, and some did find news homes, but im sure at least one of them got taken... also had my dogs baited once, one got baited, the other was inside. Was lucky enough to have go his stomach pumped before he got to sick.

This is true, but so many people refuse to recognise this, so a good taste of hat happens out there (even if it is a zoo) isnt such a bad idea. I mean everything we see in the new is not new.......my grandfather is always saying "oh, the worlds getting wirse" and maybe in numbers it is, BUT i mean everything is reported these days, the media is everywhere, unlike 60 years ago, if something happens we know about it.

18. Emerald

Emerald New Member

Name and shame? Have you even been reading this thread? The initial response by several people was that they'd like to see the perpetrators get mutilated by geese :p

I agree with Salty. Youths are idiots, not criminals.

Not to mention that alcohol or even drugs can seriously impair your judgment and sense of right and wrong...

19. Mercury

Mercury Active Member

Wait a minute - a 78 year old Flamingo? Really?

Anyway, it's known that the area of the brain that's responsible for things like social consience isn't well developed in kids and even teenagers. That's why they can seem particularly reckless with the feelings of others, particularly as they hit their teenage years and hormones start to take over, resulting in frustration and aggression.

Now that wasn't really a problem in my day. Parents took the job of keeping their kids in line and teaching them as seriously as the job of providing for them. Nowadays many people seem to abrogate responsibility of all but the latter (and sometimes even that) to society - education etc. The problem is that society at large doesn't want that job either, so we now have a generation of youngsters that have no strong and effective role-models except those that they see in the media.

20. Speedy

Killing and injuring is a crime, doing just an act is beyond being an idiot.

And yes, many peoples are idiots, i was and most likely at some times still am one, but i know the difference.

Stealing, damaging property, tagging is one thing that doesnt need much action, but to go out of your way and do an action that can lead to such actions is wrong and there should be onsequences. Also if you knew their name what would you do, sure you can say stuff, but do something, meh, no way.

21. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

People are just ass-ho-les to be honest

the dudes who did this, they're not mentally ill, they're not overly violent or aggressive... they're BORED

and a bored teenager is just plain dangerous

22. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Bored and stupid, Eoz. Don't forget the stupid.

23. Ennui

Ennui New Member

An inhumane act indeed,people would feel enraged of their aggravating and needless assault,ostensibly a minimal act but a acute act of the law.

We should tell all humanity to read the Bible anew and under oath that they will inevitably be obedient of what God cited.

24. Forkfoot

Forkfoot Caitlin's ex is a lying, abusive rapist. Contributor

Wow, flamingos live a long time!

25. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Parents fail their children in regards to discipline because we as parents are now able to be taken to court by our children for punishing them. Only a few months ago someone was telling me how her 13 year old sister is going to try and take her parents to court for disciplining her. Parents are losing their rights, the law doesn't care. They say "Oh you naughty child. This is all your parents fault. Go home and don't do it again." WHy should they be worried about punishment???

Youths are criminals. THey rod, the assualt, they rape, they murder and they KNOW EXACTLY WHAT THEY ARE DOING! Hell I know a guy who was bashing old ladies in a gang just for the fun of it because they were bored of stealing cars. THankfully he was charged for his crimes, but he was let off too damn easily. He said it is nothing but a joke!

Drugs and alcohol is just an excuse. You do the crime, you should suffer the consequences no matter what you are under the influence of. You still did it!

I think that they need to make some serious changes to the way the legal system works. Criminals never do the time that they should! NEVER! Whether the crime is fraud or animal cruelty, they all get away with it lightly. I would say the only reason these two may not is because it has been made public and if they don;t do anything serious about it, there will be a public uproar about it.