Disney movie anyone?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by freeflow, Aug 28, 2009.

1. yellowm&M

yellowm&M Contributor Contributor

those songs are fantastic!
    "I'll make a man out of you" is one of my all time favorites
    though "I won't say I'm in love" from Hercules wins it for me :)

2. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

Have any of you ever seen the recording session of A Whole New World from Aladdin? I just love their voices together, but especially Lea Salonga's voice. She's also the one who sings the song Reflection in Mulan.

3. gslack

gslack New Member

I have to agree, Aladdin was one of the best disney animated films.

4. Where Lunatics Prosper

Where Lunatics Prosper New Member

Ah, Disney. I grew up in the glorious, glorious days of the Renaissance and I still have a soft spot for those wonderful films. Beauty and The Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Mulan, Tarzan...*Nostalgic sigh.*

I love them for their sheer depth, their awe-inspiring soundtracks, the musical numbers, their characters, their villains, but perhaps most of all for their themes - the underlying sense of the macabre, the sinisterness, the exploration of ideas that they seem very reluctant to retread in this age of suffocting political correctness: power, greed, envy, lust, politics, persecution, intolerance, conspiracy, religious zeal, racism, sexism, nature versus nuture, true evil, amongst others. All were meaningful and affecting to me, and still are. And then there are all the jokes and one-liners they couldn't get away with now.

There are a great many things, particularly from the first four titles, that still haunt me, perhaps most of all in their adaption of Hunchback: Frollo giving chase to Quasimodo's mother, the public humiliation at the Festival, the Hellfire song (now more than ever, fully understanding its meaning, it makes me shiver), the conflagration of the windmill (still horrifying), the Court of Miracles, and the brilliant finale with its powerful, if obvious, imagery of those raging fires of hell and their demons.

The Renaissance will always be dear to me, because Disney experimented and emerged from the other side with their best material for that decade. Is it any wonder a lot of people's most memorable and favourite villains are from this most wonderful era? Do we all remember when they actually killed their antagonists, because they were from such a hive of scum, so utterly vile in nature, that they deserved to die? All of these deaths were effective, and memorable by themselves: Frollo plunging into those fires of hell he talked about so much; Scar getting his comeuppance from the hyenas; Shan Yu being blown to smithereens; Clayton being hung by his own hand.

Unfortunately, it's unlikely Disney would dare stray back into old territory in this day and age - though I hold out hope - and a great deal of the sequels were indeed utterly abysmal in comparison to their forebears, though count me in as one who liked Lion King 2. It wasn't bad, for what it was, and it had some good musical numbers in its own right.

In conclusion: yeah, Disney is great. :cool:

5. arron89

arron89 Banned

^ They're taking a step back towards their 90's renaissance with their next film, a kinda fairy tale musical set in New Orleans. But if the trailer is anything to go by, they're still a long ways off...more Lilo and Stitch than The Lion King if you know what I mean...

6. x_raichelle_x

x_raichelle_x New Member

I can't believe nobody has said Dumbo?! I cry every single time, its so sad.
    But I also love Aladdin & The Little Mermaid :) We went to see a pantomime of Aladdin a couple of years ago, it had so many sexual innuendos it was hilarious. Especially as it was full of four year olds and their parents haha.

7. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I heard the first 5 minutes or so of Up is really sad, but I didn't go see it. *mental slap* I should have. But it takes something really sad to make me cry in movies. Usually it's the music that puts me over the edge. Whatever's happening in the movie is sad, but the music just ties it all together and makes me sob.

(I saw HP6 three times and cried every single time at the end. Is that bad? :p)

8. yellowm&M

The beginning is so sad! It is one of about 3 movies that has made me cry and I still cried during, and it's hard to get me to cry sooo

but it was amazing!! such a good movie
    you know what else was good, Wall-E, loved that movie it was utterly adorable with a very powerful message
    perfect combination

9. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

The newer animation styles give me major headaches. :( I havent seen many of the later Disney / Pixar productions. I loved Wall-E and Finding Nemo, but man, I was paying for it later.

10. yellowm&M

:( awww headaches are no fun

11. Operaghost

Operaghost New Member

Beauty and the Beast, not only the best disney movie, but one of the best movies period, and the only anmation to ever be nominated for a best picture oscar.

12. bethany123

bethany123 New Member

Can't believe no-one has said Tarzan! It is my favourite Disney film by a mile. It is so sad for a childrens' film. Also love Aladdin, Little Mermaid, Finding Nemo and Toy Story. As for non-Disney (and also non-animated) childrens' films, has to be The Little Rascals, which is my all-time favourite film, and also My Girl.

13. Gigi_GNR

I love all the D/P computer-animation movies. Every single one. D/P can do no wrong. I just wish I had gone to see Up in theaters.....but it's a guarantee I'm getting it on DVD. :D

14. Davylove21

Davylove21 Member

Toy Story is the best Disney Pixar movie for me but my favourite kid movie was Homeward Bound. Talking dogs!

15. mistressoftheflies

mistressoftheflies New Member

I love The Lion King and Aladdin! They're my two favourites.
    In fact, rewatching them in my teens made me appreciate them even more. :)

16. Gigi_GNR

Toy Story 3 looks and sounds like it's going to be amazing.