1. aimi_aiko

aimi_aiko Contributing Member

Distracted Ideas

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by aimi_aiko, Apr 19, 2012.

So, I have this story I'm working on - and as of current - I am working on the background information and research for the story's plot, setting, etc. This is the only story that I have actually taken time on and hadn't jumped inside it yet. I came up with the idea about one and a half week ago and I'm still working on the plot. I spent a decent amount of days on the research itself, and I still feel like it's a little underdeveloped. Well, here is my issue, every time I spark an idea and grab my notebook to write it down, I'm always being distracted by someone or something. For example, I'll be sitting in my room writing and my father will holler for me from in the living room and he will tell me to sit down with him (usually to just spend time with him) or it's usually over something completely pointless (like, to fetch the remote); and as soon as I return to my bedroom, the inspiration for the story is gone. I'll either lose the will to write or lose the idea I had. It really irritates me to no end because the little free time I do find (aside from working 5 days a week and attending school on my days off) I'm always distracted and basically not given the time to write. Have any of you gone through this? And if so, can you please provide me with some helpful tips on how to escape the distractions and have time to write? I already go to one place every once in a while (the local library) but I'm usually distracted while I'm there too, due to my father wanting me to get him something from the store (he has me do this because I'm already in town).

Sincerely,
    aimi_aiko

ps. It has, once again, been much too long since my last thread post. Lol.

2. MissRis

MissRis Contributing Member

I think this is one of those things that plague most writers. We all have things going on in our life that often fight directly against what we want to achieve. I think most people who consider themselves writers also do something else to pay the bills, as you indicated you work 5 days a week and go to school. That's a whole lot of stuff going on at once. I think you just have to set some time aside to just write and maybe go somewhere else? Have you considered talking to your father about it? (I know that might be daunting, depending on your relationship). Saying that sometimes you need some time to yourself? These are tricky things that most writers deal with, I think.

3. thecoopertempleclause

thecoopertempleclause Contributing Member

I know many many people who have taken years to write novels. All I can advise is get a notepad with you at all times, disown your family and murder a rich relative (probably better to do those last two the other way around). Only then will you have total freedom to write.

Besides that you could set blocks of time for yourself, insist on not being disturbed. Even 30 minute blocks every day would help you out a lot. Turn your phone off, lock the door and write.

4. aimi_aiko

aimi_aiko Contributing Member

Thanks for the tips.

5. Leia

Leia Member

I take my laptop outside. Aside from it being too far for my family to yell at me, it also has the benefit of being too far for my wireless router, and keeps me from going off on Youtube/Facebook/Pinterest/Writing Forum tangents (which I am notorious for). I have 3 kids, a husband, a full-time job, and part-time college courses...I feel ya, but you gotta find something that works for you. Talk to your dad, or put headphones on and at least pretend to have music up so loud you can't hear him, or "accidentally" leave your cell behind when you go to the library. You owe it to yourself to get those good ideas outta that head! :)