1. Katita

Katita New Member

Do any of you writers feel this way while writing?

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Katita, Apr 27, 2011.

When I write I sometimes all these emotions happen and sometimes I cry.
    Is that normal or am I too emotional ? :D

Do you have emotions come out when you write?

2. Norule

Norule New Member

Not really I just write :) I dont fell so much while I write maybe before or after. Ive never cried beacuse of it though

3. aimi_aiko

aimi_aiko New Member

Yes. I do.

4. Pea

Pea super pea!

Oh yeah. Sometimes I've cried while writing and other times I've got so angry (about something happening in the story) that I had to get up and walk around. Other times I've burst into laughter at my own prose. Maybe that's weird but it's 'normal' for me.

5. w176

w176 Contributor Contributor

Yes.

Reading and writing is suppose to make you feel and think. If you can't even make you self feel, u r doing it wrong.

6. VanillaFrosting

VanillaFrosting New Member

I don't cry when I write. Generally I don't write things that are sad. Bad things happen all the time, but I write them as very matter-of-fact rather than dramatic. That tends to make me react either by laughing or squirming (my stuff gets rather nasty). I guess the emotions I feel are the emotions someone might experience watching a Grindhouse flick. =P

7. Katita

Katita New Member

Thank you everyone for your replies.

I thought I was the only one who gets all emotional when writing a sad or a dramatic part of the story. :D

8. Evilyn

Evilyn New Member

I have yet to cry but I have laughed out loud. Mostly I feel happy when I write especially when I have just written a scene I am really proud of, but maybe when I get to kill off a few characters I might feel different :p

9. Jonp

Jonp New Member

Well, I'm a man so sometimes when I write I feel emotions such as hunger, or fight.

In all honesty though, if I wrote a line I'm particularly proud of I'll feel smug and grin to myself. Killing off characters is something I have not done a lot of yet, but it does make me sad.

10. katica

katica New Member

I get very emotional when I write. Usually they are tears of pride at something my characters did or excitement over how the plot is moving. I don't really cry out of sadness and yet the novel I am writing right now, almost all my characters die by the end of the story.

And sometimes, I also laugh at stuff my characters do and wonder if other people would laugh at the same parts I do.

11. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

I've never cried or anything, but it's normal. You're supposed to care about your characters and they're supposed to be real to you. Writing is art, and it's supposed to make you feel...if it doesn't, something's wrong.

12. SeverinR

SeverinR New Member

Not actually cried, but have gotten emotional when the scene is emotional.

I agree with others, if you don't feel it, I don't think the reader will feel it.

13. Jessica_312

Jessica_312 New Member

I've never actually cried but I do think it's fine to get wrapped up in your characters - if I write a scene that's supposed to be emotional but doesn't evoke any emotion from me whatsoever, then I feel like I'm doing something wrong LOL.

14. Sundae

Sundae New Member

I often cry through all my hard/rough scenes but I find that the ones I do cry in, my readers also feel a higher level of emotion than in the ones I don't cry in.

I cry while the ideas come to me too... (if they are sad) Usually, my ideas come to me in flashes of scenes where I can picture my character moving about like a movie and when I get those and they're sad scenes, I cry because I can literally see and feel it.

I've never cried whenever my characters achieve something... i'm happy for them, but it doesn't bring tears of joy.

I also find that when I'm laughing while writing a particular funny scene, the material is often hilarous to other people.

So, yes. I act like my characters because I'm always in their shoes.

15. Lord Malum

Lord Malum New Member

I remember when I was younger that I wrote a villain that kept dashing the hopes of the protaganist. It was a case of the characters taking over the story and I was genuinely angry at the villain. I haven't had any emotions come out since in any major way.

16. Youniquee

Youniquee (◡‿◡✿) Contributor

I've never cried or got emotional during writing. Maybe felt a bit bad when 'throwing rocks' at my characters.
    But I know if I ever had to kill any of them off, I would feel depressed...exactly like I avoid doing it unless I really have to.

17. Velox

Velox Member

I don't think I've actually ever cried, but I have gotten very caught up in the emotions of a story.

But I definitely think it's a good thing to. After all, if you're not moved by your story, why would someone else be? And emotional stories are some of my favorites.