1. Palimpsest

Palimpsest New Member

Shepherding and Fiefdom

Discussion in 'Research' started by Palimpsest, Aug 16, 2008.

I'm currently writing a fantasy story set, at first, in a farm in pseudo- medieval France. It gets fantastical later when the otherworld makes a breach, but I would like to contrast that by making the farm life as grounded and realistic as possible.

Problem is, my only sources so far have been other works of fiction that very loosely have to do with the world I'm trying to develop: Karen Cushman's "Catherine, Called Birdy", "The Secrets of Pistoulet" by Jana Kolpen, the Tiffany Aching series (part of Terry Pratchett's Discworld,) and "Spinners" by Donna Jo Napoli and Richard Tchen, to name... all of them. :/ Oh, and some vague recollection of middle school textbooks where we covered this.

I'm afraid that won't be enough, or if I think it's enough it's because it's inaccurate. Any books, websites, or otherwise more reliable sources to refer to will be much appreciated! (I tried wikipedia, but each bit of jargon only led to more...)

In case context would help suggest research points (hope I didn't make this too long):