1. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

A horror question

Discussion in 'Horror' started by Torana, Feb 8, 2008.

I was on Authors Den tonight looking at horror poetry. What is apparently horror poetry anyways. The thing is that it really didn't strike me as being horror poetry. Maybe my standards of horror in poetry are somewhat different to thousands of others. It must be....there is no other explanation for it in my opinion.

SO here is my question to you all:

What, in your own opinion, no one elses, do you class as horror poetry?

The poem that really struck this question is a poem by Michael Kersting - A cold Windy Night. It is actually classed as horror, but I don't see much about the poem to strike me as horror. Maybe it is just my standards.....

2. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

[I'm merging thriller and horror fiction for the time being.]

When it comes to 'standard', we need to separate the two things involved: the emotions which should be driven and the intensity of these emotions.
    Got this from Horror Writers Association - What is Horror Fiction? :
    Webster's Collegiate Dictionary gives the primary definition of horror as "a painful and intense fear, dread, or dismay." It stands to reason then that "horror fiction" is fiction that elicits those emotions in the reader.
    [Something is wrong with Google. It isn't working!!!]
    Therefore horror should produce dread, dismay and fear. These are the emotions one's horror writing should produce. However, the intensity depends on one's opinion. Some may shiver upon reading R.L. Stine. For me, it's exciting but nothing close to scary. (no offense to the writer, he did a great job otherwise. This is merely my mental issue :p) Similarly, many people were simply traumatized by watching Child's Play and The Grudge, though I was laughing all the way through the Grudge. Child's Play was quite a bit spine-chilling, compared to the other movies I've seen. But only the first three parts.
    Thus , my intensity of horror should be INHUMAN! Truly, I don't get scared that easily, at least not by films, stories and pictures. Therefore I tend to be unimpressed by the works of horror writers and sometimes my own horror works.
    However, I class any poem which manages to bring the emotions in me according to the definition, even if in a milder degree.

3. Torana

See that is the thing these poems held none of those traits what so ever. Argh it frustrated me and I feel bad for this and heck the writer I mentioned can sue me for all I care.

What they have classed as horror is NOT horror and it really does bring the quality of the horror genre for poetry down to a all time low standard! It just frustrates me so much. I am passionate about horror poetry. I write it a lot and never show much as it is quite disturbing. It does give the whole oh my gosh that is disturbing, shocking, dread feeling off. I strive for that with each one I write. But this....this stuff was childs play. Argh I should just shut up or I will end up getting sued I thnk.

Sorry to the authors but it was pitiful to see what is classed as horror on a site that I was told I should go take a look at. I was heavily disappointed in what I found :(

4. Torana

sorry double post. I'll get a mod to delete this.

5. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

There, there Torana! Be the cheery Torana you really are. :)
    Anyhow, I agree, the poem you posted is more of humor than horror. The problem with horror is that if the writer makes a bit of mistake in placing the elements, it becomes humor, and if the reader gets a bit of impression that this was classed as horror - it becomes mockery. The issue with today's writers is not only irresponsible attitude, but also the lack of scary things. We live in a world where we no longer fear many elements of human imagination and nature - it's becoming genetic in a way. Therefore, horror writers, like you said, should work towards achieving the same kind of effect. It needs a lot of work - which many might not want to put in - but it's all worth it.

6. Torana

My piece I posted wasn't intended on being horror, it was intended on dark humour. Which it is. But yes you are right. Writers DO need to work harder to achieve the whole horror poetry standards these days. Argh I wish they were more passionate about writer true horror poetry as they were every other kind of poetry.

It isn't that hard to add the element of shock and fear unto a person through the right wording and imagery. Just people are too damn lazy to even bother anymore. So they write some random piece of junk and say oooo look it is horror!!!!!! Even if it is not..........

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i've never heard of a classification such as 'horror poetry' but a lot of what people call poetry is pure horror to one used to the good stuff... ;-)

8. Torana

Maia I would have to agree with you there. Half of the stuff I have written falls into that category :p lol

I will spend some time today and find the classification of horror poetry. Though it could tke more than a day. Not sure. I will see what I can do.

Oh and maia your post made me giggle so thank you :)

hugs
    Torana

9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

glad i brightened your day and lengthened your life, sweetiepie... keep laughing and you'll live longer...

hugs, m

10. Torana

hehe well I forgot to search the defininition thingy today. I was soewhat preoccupied.
    But I'll do it. And it still annoys me about the horror poetry by the way.

And if laughing lengthens my life then I'll live forever with my two around. They constantly have me in fits of laughter to the point I have tears in my eyes and a sore stomach :p But laughter is the best medicine that is for sure.

11. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hey, then I CAN live forever!