Do I belong in America?!?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Thomas Kitchen, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

You spotted the irony. :) I was waiting for that, didn't think someone would be so fast!

2. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

I don't know. How can a girl from Texas become "Miss Universe"?

Kind of implies that we're racist to Martians.

3. Selbbin

I've wondered that too.

4. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

Begs the question. Should a Martian come to America? I mean, they might have a book they're working on, they might like New York, and obviously they are a member of their military.

Ya' know, they might be flattered to find out that our temporary work licenses are "green."

5. Selbbin

Perhaps non tourist foreigners should pay a staying tax. They have to pay a particular tax rate, which means if they are employed it's no problem, but when they can't afford to pay they can't stay. At least until they get their green card. Just thinkin'

6. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

That assumes we fix the "hole in the fence."

Let's face it, we have +13 million Mexican illegals here because Americans like cheap lawn service and nannies to take care of the children they carelessly push out. In other words, we denounce illegal aliens from one side of our mouths, but gladly hire them out of the other side.

This will not end until we prosecute the employers as hard as the coyotes. The problem is that a lot of US congressmen have illegals working for them. Clout still has privileges.

7. Selbbin

But it will curb the eurotrash ;-)

8. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

If you've never been there than you probably have a very tv/movie impression of America, which is not exactly accurate. But as someone who moved over 20 times, all over the world, I can tell you that you can make any place your home. If you are drawn to a place that is definitely a sign to at least visit and seriously consider living there at least for a while.

9. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

Okay, win/win then.

We cannot pay our bills now. Can you imagine the look on the faces of the people who hold this door open when they realize they have to pay for the short fall? The WWII generation is almost gone, and the 'boomers are retiring at the rate of 1,500 each day. Those were the biggest financial/tax engines this country ever saw.

For example, I've heard them squeak that the retirement age should be raised to 70. To them it doesn't matter that I paid in to the general fund for 46 years, not a Soc. Sec. lock-box. Once they found out that I must be paid, then suddenly the tax system was "unfair." Soak the rich!

We have 12 million legal Mexican immigrants, and 13 million illegals. Some school systems in California had to use trailors to augment school-room space.

When the boomers all draw benefits, when the illegals all need medicine from ObamaBilk and the new generation has to set down the video game controller to go to work (or get their tax deductions), their anger will far outweigh mine.

But that's not my problem. I'm retired. I already paid my taxes in life. I pay for my lawn service. And as a former credit manager, I know how debt functions in society. Yikes, no wonder colonials said, "The power to tax is the power to destroy."

10. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

Wow, I seem to have started a little debate, here. :p I know I haven't researched a lot, and I understand that people could get quite irate about that. However, unless (as some have said here) I go as a student to America, then I wouldn't even begin to consider moving for at least another two and a half years, which isn't exactly a long time, but it's not next week, either.

I would love to visit America, but I will have to save up of course. As for which state I would like to live in now that you've all said that it rains in NY (here in little old Wales, we've had enough of it), I suppose I would have to say a warmish climate. I go on holiday to different parts of France every year, and I would say a nice temperature for me would be 32-33 degrees celcius max (the highest temperature we've had this year is about 12! :D). Also, I understand that splling things differently is not a sign, and I was merely trying to be satirical. Obviously I failed.

And thanks for letting me know about the girls, JJ_Max, I forgot about that ;) If any of you have watched the British film, Love Acually, then you know what I mean.

Thanks, everyone! :)

11. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

Don't worry, you didn't start it, it's been raging for years, perhaps decades.

But Selbbin and I don't have to pay for this irresponsibility. We have a problem here called "kick the can." In other words, our leaders do not want to do anything that sounds like adult restraint. So while they talk a good game, it's just whitewash. They kick the costs down the road of time for others.

Technically we should be flying the Chinese flag here. And before you laugh, it's an age old problem. In the movie Lawrence of Arabia, Alec Quinness, playing Prince Feisal, comments on the Arabs strive for freedom, but the need for the west. He relates, "It appears that we will have an English pumping station flying a Bristish flag." That is our plightt now.

But that message never gets through. We are so busy living the "sheep on the commons" scenario that no one wants to handle the tough problems. We cannot support our own people, but we turn the other cheek to let more in. When they burden our country, we get the steady stream of excuses like, "You're being racist" or my favorite, "Think of the children!"

We never openly criticize the leaders of Mexico to clean up their own country and provide for their own citizens. It's fashionable to criticize anyone here who won't give into their temper tantrums.

Okay, fine. Do it your way. The next generations will be some of the first to live with less than their parents. Smaller homes, bigger mortgages, smaller incomes, higher medical insurance costs and ever more unfunded issues on aliens. My time on the stage is over. You created it, you fix it.

You get the government you deserve.

12. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

@ Minstrel- Wait, it's warm and sunny all year around in SoCalifornia? That does it! I'm packing my bags now and moving over there!

@ Lunatia- Yeah, we're pretty much like every other nation on Earth. :p Warts and all. Some bigger than others and oozing, but we've got warts. Behold! Our magnificent warts!!

@ captain kate- I agree with her, OP. You should do what you feel is best. If coming to the US will make you happy on the inside, then do so. If not, then it's not.

@ Selbbin- Big talk coming from a guy/gal living in a former prison colony. :D (I'm just kidding around with ya, friend! Just kidding around! We're cool.)

Sorry for not multi-quoting instead. The function isn't working for me for some reason...

13. Selbbin

Former? :p

14. itiswhatitis

itiswhatitis New Member

i do not belong in America.

15. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Well, relatively speaking. I'm from Canada, remember? :)

16. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Not at all. Martians are welcome to join the competition, but they have snubbed us every time.

17. minstrel

Texas is, at least in some senses, part of the universe.

The winner of the Super Bowl gets to call themselves World Champions of American football because, I guess, there are no other major American football leagues outside the NFL.

I wonder how the World Series gets to be called a World Series, when all the teams allowed in it are American (with the exception of the Blue Jays). Major-league baseball is played all over the world. Want to know who earns the "World Series" title? The Little League World Series. They actually have teams from around the world competing - whoever wins that can actually, reasonably, call themselves world champs.

18. Shadywood

Shadywood New Member

Thomas, I would definitely recommend a visit first. Moving to a new country is a very big deal. If you have never visited, your vision of what "America" is really like is rather jaded. You will soon realize that America is just as boring as your little old Wales... just in a different accent!

Funny thing is, I have, all my life, dreamed of living in the UK. I have traveled there many times and spent a summer living there, and it always seemed like I belonged there. But the reality is, it's too far from my family and even when I visited, I longed for my real home.

19. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

But you'd think after all of these years a nice girl (?) from Mars or Jupiter would have been Miss Runner-Up or Miss Congeniality.

I don't think it's fair to our tentacled Americans.

20. minstrel

You live in Victoria! I lived there for nearly six years in the early and mid nineties. (I moved there from Toronto, partly because my mother needed help in her old age, and she lived on Salt Spring Island.) Victoria is without question the best place I've ever lived! I've been in California for almost seventeen years now, and all I can think of is getting back to Victoria.

How could you possibly want to move?

:)

21. minstrel

You know something? I bet a nice "girl" from Mars (and others from various other planets) actually HAVE been Miss Universe and Miss Congeniality, as well as Miss Invertebrate, Miss Muscular Hydrostat, and Miss Endoplasmic Reticulum. It's not that we exclude them, it's that they exclude us.

22. Pheonix

Pheonix A Singer of Space Operas and The Fourth Mod of RP Contributor

America has it's problems, just like the rest of the world... except that we seem to feel the need to share them with everyone else... just saying, might not be the best place to come. :p

If you do come here though, avoid the midwest in winter! You have no idea how confusing it is to wake up one day with it in the 50s, then have it snow 12 inches overnight and drop down to -4 the next day :/

23. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

Minstrel, I think you have your next book.

It's the tell-all book compiled by a chiseled featured, heroic gay guy in California, while he dodges agents from Area 51 and sews the clothes and soothes the hearts of alien beauty queens on the run!

If we could toss in a strong female lead who's an archer and an action packed clash with zombie vampires I think we have a page turner!

24. minstrel

Jeez, Tourist, it almost writes itself, doesn't it? What a title: Alien Beauty Queens vs. Zombie Vampires from Area 51! How could it NOT be a bestseller?

25. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

Think of it, Minstrel! We represent the first bi-regional, mixed genre, quality-but-for-hire, collaborative team of the forum!

I want to write the portions where the hero dissects a zombie vampire. I can get the cutlery right. You're out in California, you can interview the actors and find a screenplay guy.

(Don't laugh. Box office hits have been successful with less talent then we two have!)