1. The Byzantine Bandit

The Byzantine Bandit Member

Do I need a citation here?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by The Byzantine Bandit, May 5, 2013.

Okay, so I want to write a blog post striking out from something a teacher said in high school. It does not seem that it was his original idea, but he was the first person I remember saying it. Do I need to include a citation, and if so how would I do that? Thanks!

2. Mithrandir

Mithrandir Contributing Member

In the general vicinity of the Atlantic Ocean
    It's a blog. You can say anything you want, in whatever way. If you feel a citation is needed, put one in.

There are nearly no rules.

3. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributing Member Contributor

Well, copyright still applies. I realize that that may not be relevant here, but if the blogger were presenting a long quote from the teacher that the teacher took from somewhere else, or perhaps a smaller chunk of something like song lyrics (Why would a teacher be teaching on song lyrics? I don't know; it's a hypothetical example), there could be an issue.

Edited to add: And if copyright is an issue, a citation will probably be insufficient; copyright is about using the material at all, not about who gets credit.

4. madhoca

madhoca Contributing Member Contributor

Under "fair use" you can probably quote a little of what your teacher said on a blog. It depends if you are doing it for profit or quoting more than a very small percentage of the work (e.g. a poem or song lyrics). I've bolded some things here because this issue really is not black and white.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

if the teacher only said it and did not write it down anywhere, then copyright has nothing to do with it... quoting what someone said does not need to be attributed to that particular person, if used in a written work...

that said, if you claim that a specific [named] person said what you quote and they did not say it and it is harmful to their reputation, you can be sued for libel and whatever other civil torts their attorney can throw at you...

6. The Byzantine Bandit

The Byzantine Bandit Member

Well, since I would just be mentioning "so and so said this thing which I understand not to be his own private opinion," I think I might skip the citation altogether. Thanks!

7. mammamaia

that would actually make better sense than telling who said it...

8. Michael O

Michael O Contributing Member

Bloggish my boy, bloggish!

Of course you need a citation! You're a teenager for Christ's Sake!

Now pull over......I'll need to see your driver's license and proof of insurance.

9. Michael O

Got it.....Your aviator.

"When da rock's a-moving so fast,
    Ends-a all life with a mighty blast.
    That's amore."

Now they're a-gone and life canna bite,
    Tough-a-shit reptiles you couldn't write.
    That's amore.

Mammamaia! That's a spicy meatball! :)

10. Michael O

And the children on the playground sing......Chicken-Freak's a Writing Nazi. Chicken-Freak's a Writing Nazi. :)

On a more serious and related note.....The "poor-man's copyright" doesn't hold up in court. The post-marked date of the package? A myth. It will be beaten by the argument the package could have been mailed empty and unsealed and the contents placed inside after the fact.

And that's a fact. I wrote it and you read it.

11. mammamaia

this really has nothing to do with 'fair use'... the op only wants to use something the teacher said [that MAY have come from some other source] as the basis for a blog... and unless the teacher's words were captured on tape and will be used verbatim, it'll be paraphrased, so won't even be a quote...

besides which, spoken words can't be copyrighted... even a speech someone gives must exist in written form to qualify for copyright protection...

fair use applies to actual copyrighted quoted material that is used for academic study or reviewing purposes... this issue involves nothing of that nature...

all who want to be writers need to study up on the actual laws and what they do and do not cover... you can do it here:
    www.copyright.gov