1. hanger_boy89

hanger_boy89 Member

Do I need to worry about copyrighting?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by hanger_boy89, Nov 2, 2015.

I've written 7 chapters of my book now and am well on the way to writing more. I've been reading different articles, some saying that under UK law copyrighting isn't a big deal, and others saying that you should do it by posting a sealed copy to yourself (even though others have rubbished this idea).

All I want is a straightforward answer, which I can't seem to find ANYWHERE. Do I need to copyright my book at any point before sending it to a Publishing House, and if so, how do I do it?

Thank you :)

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Supporter Contributor

Copyright comes into existence automatically upon creation of the work in tangible form (e.g. a writing). Posting a sealed copy to yourself isn't really worth a whole lot, at least not in the States. Probably not in the UK, either, for similar reasons. A publisher will generally take care of registering the copyright for you, so there is no need to go through that process prior to submission.

3. hanger_boy89

hanger_boy89 Member

Thank you! So when you send it to a Publisher, there's no chance of them suddenly keeping it, claiming it was never mine etc? I literally just need to write the story, send it to them and they'll deal with the rest?

4. Steerpike

A reputable publisher isn't going to do that. They're not in the business of stealing works and ruining their reputations. If you're submitting to an unknown agent or publisher, it's worth doing some research to find out just who you are dealing with. You can look, for example, on pred-ed.com and see what it says about them there.

5. hanger_boy89

hanger_boy89 Member

Thank you, an actual straight answer! Why is that so hard to find?

6. AASmith

AASmith Contributing Member

You could always email yourself an attached copy of the word document. I think the reason for this is, if someone comes out claiming they wrote your book, you can use the emailed copy as proof that you wrote it before they did since it will be time stamped when it was sent. Now a days its really hard for people to get away with plagiarism since you work is time stamped on the computer (when it was created)

7. Steerpike

All someone has to do is change the time and date on the clock on their computer. At least with email you should have the server's time stamp.