1. Tapfer

Tapfer New Member

Name of Antagonist Group

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Tapfer, Jun 2, 2013.

I've recently begun writing a post-apocalyptic narrative, and have been racking my brain for something original to call the mutated sub-humans that make the antagonists of the story. They were 'mutated' by chemical warfare and thermonuclear explosions, but I don't want to call them 'zombies' or 'mutants'. I'd like to have something more original, but I can't think of anything to call them! Help!

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Morgan's Mutts.

Really, it doesn't matter. Maybe someone calls them Reekazoids because they stink to high heaven, and the name sticks. GET CREATIVE!

3. PyrZern

PyrZern Member

It depends... Tapfer, how do these mutants think of themselves ?
    Do they think it's a misfortune that befallen them ? Maybe other ppl call them 'the Cursed', or 'the Abomination', or 'the Fallen'.
    Or, do they think it's a blessing that they have gotten this genetic-enhancement? If so, maybe 'the Zealots', 'the Chosen', or 'the Hives'

4. Tapfer

Tapfer New Member

PyrZern, I've had this idea in my head that the mutants don't have any sort of cognitive thought. They have become hostile towards anyone/anything that isn't like them, but they don't consciously make that choice. The are, in essence, zombies. My dilemma here is to convey this without actually calling them zombies.

5. The Peanut Monster

The Peanut Monster New Member

I think this is a good idea. Like focus on how your "mutants" are treated in this new world. What would they call themselves? What would normal people call them? And which of those two names would stick, and why? I think once you figure out the place of the people in the story then it can help to identify a name, and help the reader understand what their place is too. You could also look at other languages words for these sorts of things. While you may not use the word as such, sometimes it can trigger some cool sounding names - latin, greek, good places to start.

6. Garball

Garball Banned Contributor

Make it more military. CHEM's (Chemically Enhanced Mutations). This term reaches the civilian population and they start calling them chemo's or something.

7. Tapfer

Tapfer New Member

Thanks Garball, something like that could definitely work for what I'm aiming for.

8. archerfenris

archerfenris Active Member

I had a similar issue you do. My antagonist group was a league of radical mages which sought the expansion of magic throughout the world. These mages also practiced the dark art of stealing human souls. Since they mostly came from the same country I used my created language of that country to name them "soul stealers" in their language. That way I don't have the corny title of "soul stealers" for the group, but instead they're called "Sonomynali". Hope this helps.

9. TerraIncognita

TerraIncognita Aggressively Nice Person Contributor

Draw inspiration from other stories. In The Walking Dead the zombies are referred to as walkers and biters. In The Hunger Games mutant animals made by the government are referred to as muttations, mutts for short. Names for things like that are usually derived from some action around the creatures or how they came to be.

Think about your characters, their vernacular, the time period, and the place. All of these things play a role in what people will call something.

10. timwilson

timwilson New Member

What about mutts (mutated), scabs (referring to characteristics scabs on the body), C1s (reffering to the cell they originally came from). If you're going to spend time on it, make it part of your story.