Do men value young girls and protect them from dangers?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by The Codex, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Nee

Nee Member

:D Falls off chair...

1 person likes this.
  2. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

As a writer, it's important to know the definition of the words that one uses. I would like to suggest a dictionary here.

3. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

Exactly. I assume mean have sex with girls without their consent? How do you rape someone with their consent? Could you rob someone with their consent? Could you steal from them with their consent?

4. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

Okay, Conan doesn't rape girls, I messed that up. If a girl likes him, he might make love to her.

5. Nee

Nee Member

"You made me love you
    ...I didn't want to do it
    And all the time you knew it..."

*everybody sing...!

6. MilesTro

MilesTro Senior Member

Crom! There's a hooker in my bedroom. Might as well do it although my girl friend is waiting for me at her castle-Conan.

7. TerraIncognita

TerraIncognita Aggressively Nice Person Contributor

This.

I'm most disturbed by the fact there are two people here who are not clear on what rape or consent mean. That is just something you ought to know regardless of being a writer. Consent means "yes I want to engage in this with you". Rape is a lack of consent, period. End of line.

8. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

That's completely irrelevant. It was the improper use of a word, not the improper use of an idea.

9. TerraIncognita

TerraIncognita Aggressively Nice Person Contributor

Improper use of the word and idea is essentially the same thing.

The importance of understanding consent is always relevant. Especially in light of what happened in Steubenville (and the fact it has happened before and will happen again). There were spectators and they said they didn't know it was rape. It's important in whatever context you look at this whether it be from a vocabulary standpoint or a societal standpoint.

Edit- I'm not arguing this further. I don't want to derail this thread. Pm me if you feel the need.

10. Nee

Nee Member

Word confusion is idea confusion: for the best guess of what idea we are trying to express, is found within the words we use.

11. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

I've only skimmed this thread, but to get back to the op's question - Do men value young girls and protect them from dangers?

Being that human beings are all individuals - some men would and some men wouldn't. It is up to you as the author to decide on whether your character would or would not protect young girls.

12. Atari

Atari Active Member

Well, yes they can, but the question is, "Should they?"

13. JDawg

JDawg New Member

I think that some men might do this. It depends on the man though. In a world like the one you described, and based on your description of your character, I'd say probably not. Unless you're trying to show the good/human side of the character protecting the child. Either that, or maybe he's not so good, and really has malicious motives?

14. timwilson

timwilson New Member

The answer to this question could be the defining mystery of the story. Yes, I think a man, no matter how hardened, would possibly protect a weak and helpless girl. But actually don't go for something as simple as that there is so much traction here. For the whole story keep the mystery alive, all the while knowing that the real answer is something magnificent. For example:

- He had a daughter around her age and she died/ran away
    - She reminds him of a teenage girlfriend who left him/died
    - He actually promised to protect her and has been secretly guiding her his whole life
    - He isn't as noble as was thought. Women were less likely to survive in this brutal world. They are a valuable commodity. He plans to sell her.
    - For some reason he needs her. There is some task that he can't do that she could do. What could that be?

Keep asking those questions! The art of good story writing is these kind of questions. It takes your story from a clichéd you've-heard-it-a-million-times-before-athon and something that blows peoples minds.

Happy writing
    Tim