1. Gholin

Gholin Member

Hate triangle plot too complicated?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Gholin, Aug 27, 2014.

Hey everyone.

So I am running into a potential problem with my plot that I'm not use to. A lot of the heart and theme of my story involves my protagonist's membership in one faction and conflict with the opposite faction. That's kind of my overarching plotline, but in the novel (and series plotline if there is one) he is also trying to solve the mystery of how his predecessor was murdered 200 years ago.

This leads both factions into conflict with a supernatural entity while they are fighting each other. So basically, there seems to be two antagonists for my protagonist to deal with. Kind of an antagonist/hate triangle. It means I have to devote time to two linked storylines, kind of. The faction war is kind of the background one that keeps getting in the way, and the main conflict of this story is the mystery.

Is this too complicated? I've never heard of something like this before. Thanks for any help. I just am not sure if this is the right direction.

2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

It won't be if you write it well.

3. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

It would certainly work if the two plotlines are linked in some way. I don't know how far along you are with the actual writing, but if what happened 200 years ago somehow affects (or even caused) the present 'war,' this would work a treat.

If they are not linked, and your protagonist is busy solving a mystery and trying to fight an unrelated war at the same time, the focus of the story might get confused. I'd work hard to link them in some way, if it were me.

However, it isn't me. This is your story. Don't rely on feedback from us while you're still constructing it; just get it written and see what you end up with. You might be worrying about something that isn't going to be a problem after all. You won't know till it's finished. That's the fun of writing, so get it written! And good luck.

Okon likes this.
  4. Gholin

Gholin Member

Yes, the story is linked. the antagonist's faction is responsible for the mystery and state of the supernatural forces in that area. So it sounds like it's not as badly complicated as I thought. Thank you!

So the protagonist will have to stave off the supernatural entity while solving the mystery, and at the same time stopping the antagonist from continuing his factions work in the area and succeeding. I guess it's not so bad after all! I'll work with this. tTanks again for the advice.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  5. daemon

daemon Contributor Contributor

"Protagonist deals with two antagonists" is one of the least complicated types of plot imaginable. Do not worry about it.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  6. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

You want to have two plots that are related, exploring the themes of the novel from both micro and macro perspectives. Lots of stories are written like that.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  7. Empty Bird

Empty Bird New Member

As someone else has said, if you write it well, you'll be fine. As long as everything is mapped out clearly in your head, and can be explained coherently and clearly, there should be no problem with it!

Go for it, I say! And good luck!