1. Flying Geese

Flying Geese Senior Member

Do publishers like writers who also illustrate?

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Flying Geese, Mar 21, 2016.

I was actually against sending out queries until a friend of mine brought up an interesting point:

I've already finished the book.

When I send out these query letters, it seems like they want a very specific format. No more, no less. Would publishers be more likely to pick me up as a fantasy author if I tell them I can do illustrations as well?

2. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

Sorry but I doubt it. Not for a normal book. They're looking for story tellers and they can hire all the cover designers they want. So unless you're Salvadore Dali I don't think you skills as an illustrator are going to help.

Of course if you intend to writea picture book / graphic novel, things would be different.

Cheers, Greg.

Flying Geese and Mike Kobernus like this.
  3. Mike Kobernus

Mike Kobernus Senior Member

I concur with Greg, above. I have actively discouraged writers from giving me their drawings. This is for several reasons. One, is consistency with previous books. If a publishing house as a 'style' they are going to want to stick to it. That is part of their branding.

Flying Geese likes this.
  4. Flying Geese

Flying Geese Senior Member

Right, that makes total sense. Thanks guys!