1. cjones636

cjones636 New Member

An Anonymous New York bestselling author?

Discussion in 'Research' started by cjones636, Oct 8, 2016.

Is it possible for an author to remain anonymous?

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

It might not be quite so easy in today's world, but there is certainly precedent for this. During the early days and "Golden Age" of Science Fiction and Fantasy, female authors who found themselves bared from the old boys' club published under pseudonyms with names that were masculine in nature out of necessity. In those days, though, there was no social media to plaster one's face everywhere, so the likes of Andre Norton (Andre Alice Norton) could easily allow her readership to assume she was a man and enjoy her very enjoyable books, prejudices unmolested. I would call that a kind of anonymity. Again, I think in today's world that would be harder to pull off.

ETA: Or do you mean anonymity even from the publisher?

3. cydney

cydney Banned

I thought she was a man! I enjoyed one book by her. To be honest, I wonder if I'd read more if I'd known she was a woman. I'm not sure .... I guess I'm old fashioned. I enjoy female authors more than male. BUT, I really really like to read romance written by men. It helps me understand them.

Sorry, off topic!

:)

4. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Yes, pen names are used for this reason. It might be hard, but it's not impossible.