Do they work with writers?

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by ojduffelworth, Jul 10, 2009.

1. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i didn't have any 'problem' with that word, nor did i 'make a mistake,' though i did decide after you noted your confusion over it, that the meaning of that line could be made a bit clearer by using a different word than the one i had originally chosen...

but that's certainly no proof that i'd ever have benefitted from paying someone to suggest i change it... as it was, the line worked fine for all other readers and only you had found it problematical... in any event, poetry is not equal to prose, when it comes to word choices, grammar and other technical issues, so you're comparing apples to oranges here, imo...

2. ojduffelworth

ojduffelworth New Member

“ i didn't have any 'problem' with that word, nor did i 'make a mistake,' though i did decide after you noted your confusion over it, that the meaning of that line could be made a bit clearer by using a different word than the one i had originally chosen...”

- A wonderful example of how having others read ones work can help one decide to choose a different word to make the writing a little clearer, even when one is happy with their original copy!
    I too may not have a problem with some aspect of my writing, but if the audience does, then I too may decide to alter something, if I feel that their suggestion has merit. Isn’t that part of the point of putting work forward to be critiqued?

“but that's certainly no proof that i'd ever have benefitted from paying someone to suggest i change it...”
    Good for you! Does the same apply to me and my writing?
    I have found much success in life by peppering damn hard solitary work with the occasional sprinkling of professional training/coaching/advice (some of it free, some of it paid for) I don’t see why writing should be any different to other endeavours for me in this regard. Do you disagree?
    You may have always gone about your writing another way. If so, it would interest me to hear about it.

For me, in the end, it is the result that counts – is the work improved or not (debatable perhaps!). The improvement is primary. Wether or not money exchanged hands would be secondary to that, for me – just so long as I considerd it to be fair value.
    But of course I’ll take free over paid any day! Thus if you can provide me with some suitable contacts who would be happy to assist in adding their professional advice and proofing skills to my entire manuscript for free, please do so!

I feel no shame in admitting that I am not as proficient a writer as many on this forum, and I feel no shame in seeking assistance. It is good if you have reached the point in your writing skills that you do not feel the professional advice and critique of others would be of benefit to you. I am not at that stage yet.

“as it was, the line worked fine for all other readers and only you had found it problematical...”
    - then you may wish to revert back to your original word. Why did you act on my advice if it was not sound? A writer does not have to take on board the suggestions of someone who is trying to make a positive suggestion. One can listen to others, then decide if their suggestions warrant a change in the work. If not, don’t change it!

Take care!

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i wouldn't have changed that first half of a hyphenated word, had i not felt the change did what i wanted it to do, which was to clarify my meaning... if even one person [you] was confused and i could make sure no others would be, why wouldn't i make the change?

as to your other questions, i feel this is straying too far from the subject of the thread, so think it best if we keep the personal stuff personal... if you really want answers, feel free to email me for them, ok?

hugs, m

4. ojduffelworth

ojduffelworth New Member

Yeah, it moving off track…thanks again for your input…take care, I'll drop you a line when it's time for me to pick you knowledged for further info.