1. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh Girl #21 Contributor

A new form of movie making?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Duchess-Yukine-Suoh, Nov 21, 2013.

Would this be interesting?

I come up with a story idea. I tape dialogue and sound effects into a tape recorder and then I start to draw a picture for each little scene (not like a comic.) I combine the two together and I have a little movie.

However, would you go see a movie or TV show that didn't show everything? Would it interest you?

2. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

Well, as much as you say it's not like a comic, it is a little bit like one. There is a single panel that shows two characters talking to one another, and so many multiple gestures are impossible in a single frame. But the same goes for anime; only a single frame of a town scene, for example, but plenty of sound effects. People can imagine and "fill-in" the gaps where there is no movement, and so for this reason, I would say the idea is doable. However, I personally would go into a film or whatever expecting at least some movement, so a single frame for a single short scene would not be enough for me. In my opinion, you might as well read a book or listen to a radio play, where you can imagine everything. Having something between the two seems jarring.

Just my two cents. :)

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

if it doesn't 'move' then it's not a 'movie'...

you seem to be describing what could be called an 'illustrated audio book/story'... which may or may not go over with folks who buy e-fiction... depends on how good an artist you are and how well the stories are written...

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

All movies are a sequence of still images in succession. The distinction is only a matter of degree. It's not really a new idea the OP is proposing. There was a cost-cutting period in cartoon production, in which still images were maintained for increasing duration (some but not all would make it seem more fluid by moving the still images across a fixed background).

5. Aled James Taylor

Aled James Taylor Contributor Contributor

I remember many children's shows that were make with cut-out images that were moved around in real time to give the impression of animation. Also Aardman animation did some shorts where they used 'documentary' type audio as a basis for their work.

6. Burlbird

Burlbird Contributor Contributor

@Duchess-Yukine-Suoh it sounds like a sort of minimalistic animation - and frankly, many old school lower budget tv anime I remember used to look little different. They used stock animations for mouth and eye movement, that's it :)

And if you can do this sort of work, do it! You can achieve that neurotic feeling of quasi movement if you, for example, draw by hand, and draw the same scene multiple times... Do a little zoom in/zoom out here and there and you got yourself a movie!

Andrae Smith likes this.
  7. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

if it makes you happy and improves your creative then go for it, just don't expect to make a fortune ;(

Andrae Smith likes this.
  8. Aled James Taylor

If you just did the dialogue and sound effects part, you'd have a radio play. You could choose to stop there.

9. Thomas Kitchen

Yes, but then it would have to be adapted for radio. Novels, short stories, movies, and radio plays have to be written differently from each other.

10. Aled James Taylor

It wouldn't need to be adapted if it was written for radio in the first place. What is being proposed is the generation of new material not the use of existing works. It's just an option to consider.

11. Thomas Kitchen

Yes, sorry, I forgot it wasn't to do with current pieces of work. Carry on!

12. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

A lot of teens and young adults make interesting movie shorts with their cell phones and/or computers. Youtube launched a new medium and kids ran with it, some of it very artistic.

13. MLM

MLM Banned for trolling

What you have described is called an animatic. It is a part of the process for making animation. They are made as a guide for the animators.

Here is an example: