1. akexodia

akexodia Member

"MARKET"!! Why call it that?

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by akexodia, Feb 6, 2012.

Doesn't the word, 'market' associated with the word 'writing' annoy you a little? (It does, to me, a lot!)
    I mean, we bluntly say 'study the market before publishing', 'the market these days prefers xyz genre' etc etc.
    I know that the times have changed and it's now all about business and stuff but still, this art deserves a little respect. The legends in this field didnt 'write for the market'. Why not pay a little homage to what we love to do!!

2. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

I'm not sure what legends you have in mind, but I'd be willing to bet that most of them wrote to the tastes of the markets in their days. Concerns for the market tend to annoy those with an overly romantic notion of "higher art" and the like. We like to look down our noses at "commercial" writers, who are in it only for "gain", and not for the higher aesthetics, etc etc. Well, if your work doesn't get read, it won't serve any higher aesthetic value (except your own personal satisfaction of having written it), so let's all make our art as saleable as we can make it and hope to nudge the public tastes in a better direction (wherever that is).

3. Show

Show Contributor Contributor

The "market" is a bit too vague a term to really worry about studying and writing for. Here's a thought, if your influenced by products of the market (ie books that are published), then maybe you'll end up unconsciously writing a marketable story without consciously trying to play to the market?

4. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Contributor Contributor

Not the market, their patrons - which is the same thing really.

Any art has to be accompanied by a vehicle to make it accessible and responsive to the multitude and profitable for the author, or else it would have stagnated a long time ago. In the modern world, the market is that vehicle. It's not new: it's just replaced noble sponsors and feudal obligation, that's all, and I for one don't mind it. If you want to write for yourself by all means go ahead, but if you're writing for the public then the market is an indispensible conduit between you, your publishers, and them.

5. Dragon Boy

Dragon Boy New Member

It's kind of a double-edged sword as if you try to much to write a story that is marketable, it might not be as good as if you wrote something in a genre you like. No matter what your write about there will be people interested in that sort of thing.

6. Seb224

Seb224 New Member

1. If you're going to write, don't consider the market. All that needs to be said.
    2. It's called a market because it is a market. It's a business for publishers, and distributors. There's no point being pedantic about it, it's how it is because people buy the end result.

7. Mark_Archibald

Mark_Archibald Active Member

Believe it or not 'romance' novels are some of the most marketable books around. You can write a great horror novel but it will be less 'MARKETABLE' than a mediocre romance.

Its all about $$$

8. Seb224

Seb224 New Member

Although correct as an analogy, perhaps something other than Horror. It's a highly commercial genre (Stephen King etc.) and horror films (created from the plots of a book) are high, highly, highly popular.

9. James Berkley

James Berkley Banned

how is market not a great word for it?
    people come together and exchange goods, plane and simple. it matches your econ classes perfectly.

10. Mark_Archibald

Mark_Archibald Active Member

Even still; you'd be surprised how much the romance genre sells. Year after year the numbers show that romance novels are the best way for a writer to go if all they care about is $$$.

11. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

You can blither about "market" all you like, and try to convince me that I should write romances because that's what sells.

But I won't. I have zero interest in romances, even if they pay me a million dollars.

I will write what I want to write, dammit, because that's why I started writing when I was six years old. It's not about the marketplace. If my stuff sells, great. If not, I'm not going to waste the remaining days of my life writing crap that I hate just to make a buck or two.

12. Martin J. Hoeck

Martin J. Hoeck New Member

The market is what allows people to write for a living. Without a market, there is no selling of stories. I think in your case, it sounds as if you should write without thinking about the market. I mean, if you write for fun and it is what you really enjoy, what the market trend is shouldn't matter at all. Write what you want; it just might not be a commercial success. :)

13. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

the 'market' in the context of writing/publishing merely refers to those who will read what you write... and any of those 'legends' you refer to were certainly writing in order that others should read what they dreamt up... which = 'the market' of their time and place...

so, if you really want to 'pay homage' to homer, the bard, poe, faulkner and their ilk, you'll do the same!

14. Snoopingaround

Snoopingaround Banned

Most people who enjoy writing usually do not even consider the market aspect of it (at first anyway). They do it because they have a passion for it. If there is a way for them to make money from it, some writers may consider writing for a market, but in most cases for most people it is a hobby or they just do it "for the love of it", as they say. It is telling about the sad state of affairs for our society that just about everything is dominated by the desire for money and the consideration of the market in just about any activity that one does or can do. The real writers do it "for the love of it", and nothing more than that is ever necessary. Not even money.

15. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

so, you're saying that none of the successful writers of today or thoughout history who made a living from writing are/were not 'real' writers...

i'm sorry, but i beg to differ, sir...

1 person likes this.
  16. TDFuhringer

TDFuhringer Contributor Contributor

Charles Dickens wasn't a real writer? Agatha Christie? Leo Tolstoy? All of them were bestselling writers during their lifetimes.

Thanks so much for your blanket judgement of writers (Most people who enjoy writing usually do not even consider the market, in most cases for most people it is a hobby) and for your implication that anyone who wishes to be paid for their writing is not a real writer. (The real writers do it "for the love of it", and nothing more than that is ever necessary)

It's comments like yours that convinced me reject my creative talents and get a real job when I was younger. I'm so glad I grew up and realized what arrogant, elitist garbage the idea is.

And in response to the OP. It's called a 'market', because it's a market. Someone will always have to pay to support artists, a market is a reality that's not going away any time soon.

17. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

I'm so glad that writers like Anthony Trollope and Louisa Allcott were so strapped for cash. They needed to churn out the stuff, they had a product and were glad to sell it--on the market.

18. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Writers write because they love to write. They have to, if they are to stick with all the hard work required.

But any job is best if you love what you are doing, That doesn't keep you from accepting a paycheck.

Knowing the market is one of the realities of the business of writing. Less because it might influence what you write, but more for understanding where and how to submit it.

And face it: most writers who "write for themselves: really do want others to read what they write. To grow your readership beyond friends and relatives, you have to understand market.

If you'd rather think of it as your audience, more power to you. But make no mistake. It's still a market.

1 person likes this.
  19. TDFuhringer

TDFuhringer Contributor Contributor

Amen.

I think of the market as an extension of my friends who want to read my stories, but they live far away so they have to pay a few bucks to get a copy.

Without the market we would have no audience. And perhaps it's just me, but one reason why I chose writing over other creative endeavors is because I need an audience. I'm delighted there's a market.

20. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    Thank you for saying this. Seriously, you're my hero.

So many people still harping on about "real writers" miss the point. If you truely love writing, then you'll be happy to accept money for your work - whatever it's classed as. Personally, I would rather make a living writing some Mills and Boon crap than work for 40 years on my little piece of introverted "gold" that will never sell. Forget your MARKET and you can forget anyone caring about your work as much as you do. Writers love to write - that's all that matters.

I also agree completely with Maia and Cogito.

1 person likes this.