Do you draw?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Wreybies, Nov 5, 2009.

?

Do you draw?

Poll closed Nov 15, 2009.
  1. I draw well enough to have considered it as a profession.

7 vote(s)
    17.1%
  2. I draw well enough for my personal entertainment.

14 vote(s)
    34.1%
  3. I don't think I draw terribly.

5 vote(s)
    12.2%
  4. I'm not very good at drawing.

7 vote(s)
    17.1%
  5. I draw so poorly, pencils run away from me in fear.

8 vote(s)
    19.5%
  1. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

I chose the first option since I went to art college and later used to supplement my income doing portraits.
    All my father's family are gifted at art, I just thought it was normal. When I was little, my uncles used to tell great stories, illustrating as they went along--I still remember the shock I got when I was about five at school, and I saw my teacher's stick pics on the board.
    Luckily my daughters are all great at art, one's a fashion designer, the middle one wants to do graphic effects and the youngest is a student at the Fine Arts Lycee. I can't imagine this dimension missing from life--but did I mention that we're all LOUSY at Math?

2. Little Miss Edi

Little Miss Edi New Member

Wow!! I'm totally in awe! DragonGrim that's beautiful!! HorusEye - when I was younger I would have given a limb to work for Disney!! - [monstrous envy] XD and madhoca sounds like your little'ns are a chip off the old block!!

I am sadly the least talented in a family of particularly arty people. My aunt does ceramics, the other textiles, my cousin was a fashion designer then changed her mind and became an illustrator (<-- tough life aye :p) while my other cousin is a silversmith. My grandfather used to paint water colour, our house is filled was paintings. Me... pen and ink and rough scribbles - they're not big or particularly exciting but they make me happy so I'm in the 'drawing for entertainment' tick box. I recently got asked to design all the stationary and a pair of shoes for my friends wedding, which was the most fun ever! (But then what girl doesn't like designing shoes ;) )

3. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

Every once in a while, if I draw something very carefully and edit it a lot, it looks almost good. But for the most part, I can't draw at all.

I envy those who draw well. I've always wished I were more artistically inclined.

4. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.

That's amazing! :eek: You must be pretty good though, Saulty. However, I can understand - it's the same reason I chose to study literature instead of art. I enjoy it immensely as a hobbie, but not enough to dedicate so much importance to it, not at degree level anyway. Too much of a risk and I don't think I'm good enough to live from my efforts in art.

You should show some of your work off, if you have any pics of them saved. :)

I love to look at people's artwork, whatever their standard is.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i did, in my youth... not much since... got straight A's in art throughout my school years, but was also better than most with words... words won out...

6. Mulgan

Mulgan Active Member

Yea I draw. Mostly on microsoft paint ( see my lil thumnail there for a small part of a drawing of my girlfriend). I take pride in it..

7. jonathan hernandez13

jonathan hernandez13 Contributor Contributor

Yes, I have a BFA, but I have gone down a different career path to say the least:rolleyes:

8. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

I chose I draw well enough for my personal entertainment. Purely because I do draw very badly, but I don't care and draw anyway. (Pencils have learned not to fear me, they now look at me quite sternly and just say "No!" like Victoria Stilwell in that show "It's Me Or the Dog" - which is quite easy enough to ignore).

1 person likes this.
  9. M9A8E6S4TO

M9A8E6S4TO New Member

I love to color pencil.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. LibraLass

LibraLass New Member

I doodle in the margins a lot, but there's no artistic talent attached. I was always disappointed as a kid that the image I had in my head never came to life like I wanted it to.

Then again, most of the artistic kids couldn't write their way out of a paper bag, so I guess we're even!

11. Brandon P.

Brandon P. Active Member

I do draw, mostly for the purpose of posting my work on the Internet. Here's a small sampling of the drawings I've uploaded so far; you be the judge with regards to their quality:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

Yay, dinosaurs
    = 3

13. DownUnder

DownUnder New Member

I used to draw a lot when I was a kid, but it's sort of faded away as I've gotten older.

14. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    ^ I love that last one. The Triceratops looks all cute with its tongue on show :3

15. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

M9, thanks for sharing--those images are really impressive.
    There's some real talent displayed here!

16. DragonGrim

DragonGrim New Member

@M9: it must have taken a lot of color pencil to do that, depending on how large the drawings are. I like the primitives (my interpretation) standing under a black sun. Reminds me of “Black Hole Sun.” And the dude with the stitched on his mouth and eyes – cool, looking real evil. Though I think more attention to the clock would have made the picture better.

@ Brandon: I really like the clean lines you make. It takes patience and a deft hand to do that. And the dinosaurs are great. Now if you could give it more texture, light, and shadow you’d really have some great art.

17. Taylor Nicole

Taylor Nicole New Member

Brandon P: wow, those are really good.
    my friend can draw Manga and stuff like that, i am horrible, but pencils dont run away! :]

18. Rimuel

Rimuel New Member

I wonder....perhaps in the azure blue sky.
    I wished my talents have been artistic instead of mathematical instead. I began learning only this year, which is a bit late. But I love it, about as much as I like writing, so, I guess, I'll give it a try.

My preferences are anatomical art, floral art and foliar art. Especially foliar.

As of now, I'm pretty horrible, but I treat my pencils well =).

19. Eoz Eanj

Eoz Eanj Contributor Contributor

[​IMG]

My first coloured pencil drawing of my boyfriends elder sister. It's deliberately multicoloured and a tad cartoony.

20. deadlycookies

deadlycookies New Member

I was that kid who drew on everyting in school. Since kidergarten I'd been obsessed drawing more than actual work. The only subject I always had supperb marks in was art.
    right behind was science, which I actually didn't like to well (although science itself intrests me, the school subject does not.)

21. Carmina

Carmina Contributor Contributor

Here is an attempt I made at drawing. I to supposed to be me, but doesn't really look like it. Oh well.
    [​IMG]

22. jonathan hernandez13

jonathan hernandez13 Contributor Contributor

Look, it's Mina!

Good drawing:)

23. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Oh no. I wish I could, but I can't.

24. Goldie

Goldie New Member

I do draw! I draw manga/anime style and have seriously since 7th grade. I doodle on cardboard with Sharpies at work, or a scrap of paper with a pen at my second job. At home, I have actual drawing books! I've done a 20-page comic, but I never let anyone see it. I started out with the intent to get better by tracing, copying, then doing my own thing. It all started with Sailor Moon... ah, memories.

Anymore, I can draw pretty much anything as long as it's vaguely human. I mostly sketch, but sometimes I'll ink and color with colored pencils, watercolor, sharpies or crayon. Sometimes I'll do the whole crafty thing and cover it with makeup and scraps of fabric like I did with a maiko for my sister a long time ago.

I don't have anything recent scanned, so you're out of luck until I doodle something worth showing off.

25. SilverWolf0101

SilverWolf0101 Active Member

I'm guilty of being a draw kid.

I was always the "geek" sitting in the back of the classroom sketching away on anything that I could. Homework included.

Mostly though, I just create weird animals and sketch stuff from stories. Otherwise, my severe drawing days are over.