Do You Dress To Write?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by cutecat22, Aug 19, 2014.

1. LeighAnn

LeighAnn Member

Well, now I'm feeling all awkward since I'm wearing nothing...

cutecat22 likes this.
  2. elynne

elynne Active Member

I've never noticed a difference in my writing quantity or quality based on what I was wearing. in hot summer weather, I'll strip down to nothing, if that's what it takes to be comfortable. in cold winter weather, I usually start with jeans, a sweater, and socks, and add layers from there.

3. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Here is a picture of me during my latest writing session.

[​IMG]

KaTrian likes this.
  4. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I have a beard, and mine feels like LIONS crawling all over my face! You must have a little wussy tweezy kiddy little beard, if it only feels like ants. BE A MAN! GROW A LION BEARD!

:p:whistle::crazy::rofl:

5. Jack Asher

Jack Asher Banned Contributor

All I see is little squirrel whiskers on your face. That's not much of a beard.

6. BFGuru

BFGuru Active Member

Half the time I undress to write. I'm in scrubs or uncomfortable clothes to work all day. I come home and strip my pants off to a tee shirt and maybe shorts (if I expects someone may knock on the door, but a lot of times I just keep a pair of pants near by LOL). Comfort is key for me. I can't think if I'm focused on tight clothing.

I turn on pandora to either Goodnight My Angle lullaby, Billy Joel station or Piano Guys and I just go. Once I had to write a sexual assault and I turned on something a little angrier to write, but I forget the station. I'm not sure my assault scene flows, but at least I finally wrote it after 3 years of hemming and hawing around it.

7. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

So many ladies who undress to write! How do you get any peace from your significant others -- especially if they are men -- so that you can concentrate on writing? o_O

T.Trian likes this.
  8. BFGuru

BFGuru Active Member

My husband had a midlife crisis, traded me in for a younger model and got HER pregnant. I don't have anyone pestering me except the children who demand to be fed when I already fed them last week.

9. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Salinger wrote in overalls, apparently, during his bunker years.

Me, whatever. But usually I take my shoes off. When I can I have Whiskey in a teacup. I have two cats so need some cat distractions, or the heater on so they sleep in front of it, but then the room gets too hot.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  10. KaTrian

I hope you are joking! :eek:

11. BFGuru

BFGuru Active Member

First part not joking. Second part yes. I doubt children and youth would appreciate me feeding them merely weekly. LOL.

12. KaTrian

Holy crap, what an asshole :mad:. Sorry to hear that.

Probably not, especially if school lunches aren't free...

13. T.Trian

T.Trian Overly Pompous Bastard Supporter Contributor

Damn, I gotta echo @KaTrian: that was a douche move. In my experience, though, when a relationship ends, it means something better is looming ahead.

Anyhoo, also like Kat said, we wear whatever's comfy, depending on the time of year (the temperature in our student apartment hovers around 88F/31C during summer, which means underwear, and 66F/19C during winter, keeping us in slacks, hoodies, and woolen socks etc) but we do always wear something 'cause otherwise... well, after one attempted writing session a few years back, we "suffered" three interruptions and then figured it just doesn't work for us to write au naturel. Besides, as a guy, it's actually more comfortable for me to wear something than nothing.

BFGuru likes this.
  14. cynthia_1968

cynthia_1968 Active Member

Not really, I write when it suits me... but I always turns the music on. Currently listening to Blue Öyster Cult BTW....

15. DromedaryLights

DromedaryLights Active Member

It's not something I've ever consciously done or not done, but I'm sure it does make a difference, as it will certainly effect your mood / self-perception and whatnot.

16. Joe_

Joe_ Member

I write mornings now for the most part. I have 6 days off middle of next month. I plan on living in my home office and not come out until I finish my first draft. Not going to shower, shave, or brush my teeth. I will only open the door for food, drink and restroom breaks...

17. BFGuru

BFGuru Active Member

It was rough the first year. I sort of shut down, but the reality is he was toxic and I'm finally at a point where I can breathe. It's still tight financially...REAL tight, but the angst, the emotions, the hurt and confusion...Well, I just threw that into a writing class and ended up with excellent conflict scenes LOL. I'm living again. I'm breathing again. I'm back in school and there is nothing he can do to stop me this time. I'm actually pretty happy, and I've made more progress with my stories in this year than I ever did in 17 years of marriage combined so yay!

T.Trian likes this.