1. jwatson

jwatson Active Member

Do you ever feel discouraged?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by jwatson, Jun 16, 2010.

I've been working on the same novel for about a year now. Not to sound vain, but I think that the construction of the novel is pretty good. I think I release just the right amount of interesting information at the right time to make the reader want to continue.

It's no secret that one way to become a good writer is to read what other good writers have written. I've heard a lot of good things about A Song of Ice and Fire, so I've started reading A Game of Thrones. I feel like Martin's novel is so good, mainly his description, that mine seems like a young child wrote it. Do you ever feel this discouragement when reading other authors' work? Should we feel discouraged? Do we have to match their skill to be successful?

2. That Secret Ninja

That Secret Ninja Member

I don't feel discouraged when I read a writer who is obviously better than me. I just use what I learn from their writing to improve on my own.

The only time I feel discouraged is when I first attempt a narrative style or element I've read and want to emulate. It usually doesn't work out on the first try and I wonder if I'm cut out for this. But then as I read and write more, it slowly goes away through the progression of my skills over time.

3. Wreybies

Wreybies The Ops Pops Operations Manager Staff Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

No, not really.

Read a favorite author's work in the chronological order he/she wrote them. You will see that everyone progresses with time and effort.

4. izanobu

izanobu Senior Member

George RR Martin has been writing for over 30 years, so comparing your first novel effort to him is silly :)

I get a little discouraged sometimes when I get near-miss rejections, but in the end being successful is 90% effort and persistence, so I just shrug it off and keep going.

5. Manav

Manav Contributing Member

Good writing should inspire you and not discourage you. Whenever I got stuck writing, I try to remember how good writers I have read do it. They always provide inspirations.

Also, to be able to appreciate good writing is one step closer to be able to write good yourself. So, hang in there... you'll surely get there :D

6. writingchick8

writingchick8 Member

Don't get discouraged! Many of the writers you're reading have been writing for years and years and years!

If you're happy with what you're writing, then keep writing it, and then at the end, if you really feel that it pales in comparison to other people's work, you can always go back and edit! Good luck! :)

7. Shinn

Shinn Banned

I don't feel discouraged when I read another author's work; it helps me grow and learn as a writer.

8. jwatson

jwatson Active Member

I didn't want my question to sound as silly as it did. Obviously Martin is 100000000 X better than me haha
    Thanks for your input guys

9. Show

Show Contributing Member Contributor

I get discouraged all the time. But hey, a lot of people hate a lot of stuff that's published so maybe not everything in print is really that good, and maybe there is hope for me. MAYBE! lol

10. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

...nope...

...not a useful emotion, if you want to accomplish anything...

...you tell me... take a look at all the awful writers out there who've made tons of money on their junk... dan brown, the eragon and twilight kids, james redfield, etc., ad infinitum, ad nauseam!

11. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Never when I read another work, it always encourages me.

I do get depressed when reading my own writing though. But that's different, and it quickly goes.

12. Corbyn

Corbyn Lost in my own head Contributor

I think as a writer we all want to write something that people are going to want to read. That is my biggest fear. That what ever I do write will not be good enough and nobody will want to read it.

I don't read to gauge my writing against another writers. I read because the story is good and I want more.

With that said I write something and put it away. A few weeks later I come back.. pick it up.. and reread it... If I like it at that point and it makes me say wow.. I wrote that? Then I keep going with it.

I think if your writing can do that for you, then why worry so much?

13. DvnMrtn

DvnMrtn Contributing Member

I know exactly what you're talking about! I'm currently reading some works from Neil Gaiman and believe me it's intimidating. But I think it's a good thing to always have something to strive for. Writing isn't easy and the thought that there is no limit to how good we can eventually become if we REALLY dedicate ourselves to it, well that's enough to shake those feelings of doubt for me.

14. Mila

Mila Member

I might allow myself a few minutes' sulk when something I wrote that I loved gets pulled apart by people, but it doesn't last. As for other people's work, if you understand what it is they're doing then it's inspiring, not discouraging.
    I do get disgruntled however, when I know my first novel's likely to be flung back in my face accompanied by derisive laughter, and I see crap like Twilight selling millions.....

15. themistoclea

themistoclea Member

I think that comparing ourselves to others in general can have VERY discouraging results... a friend's job, a sibling's relationship...

And then there is writing: such a personal endeavour, something that you put so much of your soul/blood/sweat/tears/hopes into that I think it becomes unhealthy, and unhelpful, to weigh up comparisons.

Don't apologise for having faith in your work so far. :)
    It sounds like there is a quality to your writing that you are proud of. Remember what makes you different from the writers that you admire, it'll be your strength in the marketplace one day.