Tags:
  1. osu45d

osu45d New Member

Changing from first person to third person.

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by osu45d, Jul 12, 2014.

Hi all.

I am writing a book where the protagonist seems to be extreamly robotic and unemotional up until a pivotal point where his life changes and i am thinking of showing this in the unorthodox way of switching from third person to first person, has this been done anywhere before and do you think that this would work?

I know it is not a common rule of writing but messing with the rules of writing is pretty common (im using an interrobang even though its not generally accepted.) I know the last book of the Divergent series is written in dual first person.

I am also thinking of making the change so that many readers wont really notice the change itself but will only detect the change in the character.

thanks

2. cutecat22

cutecat22 The Strange One Contributor

Sounds like an interesting idea but I would make sure to test the theory out on a number of readers with a few test pages and see if they follow the changes or if it totally confuses them.

You can't please all the people all the time but if the majority of your testers come back with positive comments, then go for it!

Good luck!
    x