1. Manutebecker

Manutebecker Member

Do you ever get down about writing???

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Manutebecker, Apr 13, 2009.

Sometimes, after writing for a long time (like today). I'll just step away from writing with the feeling like I never want to do it again and I just get totally frustrated. It happens occasionally and I can't stop it, but it's almost like a depression from writing. Fortunately I'm almost always writing the very next day!

2. Tall and Weird

Tall and Weird New Member

I'm pretty sure every writer has thrown their pen or something across the room in frustration at one point or another. However, a writer writes and that can be both the greatest and the worst thing. Don't let the frustration make you do something you'll regret. If you're a writer, you have to write.

If you can recognise the catalysts for your frustration you might be able to either avoid them or build up a resistance. Maybe anyway. :)

Keep fighting the good fight! Or should that be 'keep writing the good write'? Nah, it was better the first way...

3. BillyxRansom

BillyxRansom Active Member

wat

Also, yeah, just about every day. Some days I can maybe trudge through it, for a few minutes at least.

4. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributing Member Contributor

I don't get down when I'm writing a lot...I get frustrated when I have that urge where I just need to write something, yet when I sit down with a pen and paper, nothing will come out.

I went through a horrible, horrible time a few years back, and ever since then, I've struggled a lot more with writing than I used to. It's irritating sometimes.

5. jozie

jozie Member

Sometimes, I just can't get a chapter right. I get so frustrated because all of the words are clumsy. They do not seem to fit together. I want to quit then. I suppose I have to be in my "zone" if I may use a cliche.

There are other times when I am in my "zone" and I will come back from it. There is no more for me to write, and I must return to reality. I feel so drained and depressed then. I have been in another world and it is much better than this. This world seems so mundane and boring after immersing myself within my imagination.

6. BillyxRansom

BillyxRansom Active Member

This.

7. Dalouise

Dalouise Contributing Member

No, not about writing. I might get down about other things which supresses my urge to write which is not a bad thing IMO as I can concentrate on fixing what is wrong elsewhere in my life.

8. medioxcore

medioxcore Member

i get down ON my writing. if that answers the question at all.

i'm kind of..

idk.

i guess i take that old adage about being your own worst critic to the extreme. to the point of giving up, sometimes. just because i couldn't live up to my own expectations.

lol... sorry. i didn't mean for my second post here to sound so pathetic.

i swear i'm an upbeat dude!

lol

9. OneMoreNameless

OneMoreNameless Contributing Member

Bravely adventuring beyond the fourth wall.
    Nope.

Oh sure, I'll sometimes end up stuck on a particular scene or find myself unable to finish a poem, but I don't recall ever getting more than mildly frustrated (/sad) at that particular piece, and certainly not at my ability or intent to write in general. ... Probably since my first serious writing was at least partially escapism, and struggling to find the right dialogue for character X is still better than thinking about whatever else was bothering me.

Anyway, if I feel myself becoming frustrated it's simple enough to put the writing on hold and come back when my state of mind has been jiggled a bit. I'd imagine this would change if my writing ever becomes more important, financially or if was particularly popular or whatever.

10. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

nope... to me, writing is like breathing... can't not do it...

11. seymoore999

seymoore999 Member

The hard time for me comes when I am struggling with a scene or a long stream of dialogue and after hours of typing I still have nothing. Then I wonder why I waste my time with any of it. After all, who is ever going to read it? But then the next evening comes after a long day at the office and clacking away on the laptop seems like a good idea.

12. Manutebecker

Manutebecker Member

Wow, you basically nailed it :p

13. Brightsmiles

Brightsmiles Senior Member

Somewhere between the rabbit hole and wonderland.
    i get crabby when i'm taken away from my work sooner than i'd like to. its worse when the piece isn't sitting right, cause i don't want to leave it that way.

the only time i've ever got upset over the actual writing process of a piece was when part of a needed plot ran a close grain to some personal things going on. it was really hard trying not to put my perspectives and emotional byasts onto characters that needed to react in a different manner, whilst staying in 'the zone'

but i think writing is just like anything else in life. it will have its highs and lows its joys and frustrations. take the good with the bad and know it'll get better!

14. lynneandlynn

lynneandlynn Contributing Member

I've never felt like I wanted to give up writing. Do I get frustrated? Yeah. Do I sometimes give up on certain stories? Yes. Do I ever feel like giving up writing in its entirety? Never. Writing has been a defining part of my life since I was 8 years old...I could never give up something like that--just like I couldn't give up my family or my faith.

~Lynn

15. seymoore999

seymoore999 Member

I agree. Writing has been my closest friend since my third grade teacher gave the class an assignment to write a poem. I could never give up on writing.