1. nettkkr

nettkkr Member

Do you ever get sick of your own writing?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by nettkkr, Nov 26, 2010.

Hi all--

I'm in my sixth draft of a novel, and every time I review it, I find myself becoming less interested in the story. Does this happen to writers or is it only me? I know some writers have scrapped their work because they feel it is sub-par, however, I know my novel is marketable. That's not me being self-conceded, it's the market research and hours of research on the subject at hand. But I've been working on this for a year, interspersed here and there with short stories to try to get my brain away from the story for a new perspective.

Is there something else I should be doing? What are your views on the matter?

2. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributing Member Contributor

Have you taken a month or two break from it? If not do that first.

Personally I have never got bored with my stories but I do get consumed by them - it is then time to put it away for a time. With my first story I now know the story is great but I am considering maybe I could write it better.

3. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributing Member Contributor

I agree - take some time away from it. I'd arbitrarily suggest taking one break that's double to quadruple your usual breaks - if you usually only take a week off to work on a short story, take a full month off. If it's normally a month, make it a quarter.

And after that, do you have a friend who can read the book and give you some thoughts? Maybe a new point of view, combined with your being just a little bit less familiar with the work, would make it feel fresher?

ChickenFreak

4. Reggie

Reggie I Like 'Em hot "N Spicy Contributor

I get sick of my own stories, especially "Manifestation." I think that's a chaos for me, because it seems that my narration never turns out perfect, or I can't think of other words to write to avoid using repetition words. I'm not sure if I am even capable of writing a third draft, though I take a break for them before I resume proofreading it. I normally suffer analysis paralysis. Other than this, I feel that the idea of the story itself is good, I just can't deliver the story, so I normally read other people's stories to see how they write them, and use the vocabulary to understand it.

5. nettkkr

nettkkr Member

The max i've taken off from this is 2 months. And yes, I do have a friend that arbitrarily checks my work, so I have time off while they are reviewing what I have sent them. I don't know how to describe it. It's like I know the story so well, that I gets boring to me. It's like a book you pick up that you love from some bookstore and read it ten times before you look at it and say, why was I ever so involved with that book.

It could just be my bi-polar at work too.

6. Elgaisma

Maybe it is time to write your synopsis and covering letter and start trying to sell it or to move on to your next project.

However the humour in my stories, the mystery etc still draws me no matter how many times I read them

7. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributing Member Contributor

is it possible that it's time to break off and start the next novel, so that you can productively take several months off from this one? You may just need to wash this one out of your brain altogether for a while, so that when you get back to it you feel fresher.

And you may need some time just writing, rather than revising. Getting to the sixth draft represents a _lot_ of time spent revising, which, IMO, is a very different experience from first-draft writing.

(I should note that I'm not saying this from the point of view of anyone with any experience to speak of. :) I'm just suggesting it as a thought that maybe you haven't thought of.)

ChickenFreak

8. Show

Show Contributing Member Contributor

Like anything, overexposure can easily cause you to become bored.

9. Elgaisma

You are right Chicken - first draft writing is very different for me for any other stage. I try to have three or four novels at various stages from first draft through to final draft - allows me to work between them.

10. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributing Member Contributor

I don't think I could stand reading any book as many times as I read through my own drafts, without becoming utterly sick of it. That includes the greatest stories I've ever read. So yes, I become pretty sick of my own stories in the end, but I try my best to ignore that.

The biggest traps are: Editing stuff that worked fine, just to hear it differently for once; Thinking that an original idea is stale and cliche, because it's gone through my head so many times.

11. Jaybrownuk

Jaybrownuk Member

I get sick of my own work too and I absolutely agree with the posters that suggested taking a break from it. It really does help I can promise you that. :)