1. youngmessage

youngmessage New Member

Do you feel celebrities have the right to speacial priviledges?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by youngmessage, Aug 21, 2010.

The other day my brother was in a five star resturant in Chicago and some celebrity came in to eat. My brother was already eating his meal and his bodyguards came and told them they had to move. My brother flatout told them they didn't care who he was they're not moving. In the end the celebrity (whoever he was) told them it was okay. Do you feel that the bodyguards had this right even if it was for security reasons? I do not know who the celebrity was I just knew he played in a few movies maybe even 90210.

2. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

If you are eating somewhere, the bodyguard cannt make you move. Period.

I'd tell them to piss off and hope they made a mve on me (attacked), so i could sue, or try too.

I mean seriously, whatthe hell

EDIT

If it was for a security reason, then i''d expect to hear from the staff, not a bouncer from a celeb.

3. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

No they shouldn't have special treatment. In all honesty I don't care about celebrities or their lives, who they are sleeping with, and all that. As for actors and such all I care about are the characters they play. As soon as that role is over I don't really care about them. lol

So I would have gladly said 'Screw off' to the body guard.

4. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

Special security can be necessary for a celebrity, but this wasn't handled well imo. There should have been a reservation made in advance if this was a 5 star restaurant, so that the tables were prepared beforehand. For everyone's sake, special security measures should be followed for celebrities, otherwise it'd be annoying or possibly dangerous for the person and/or their guests and the other customers.

@youngmessage--loving the idiosyncratic spelling!

5. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

Yeah....unless it's the leader of a nation or something, I wouldn't move. I don't think starring in a movie or recording a song makes you above anyone else. It's kind of frustrating that celebrities do get such preferential treatment a lot of the time...

(I would say more on the subject, but it's pretty late, and I'm very tired, and I've just been talking to a couple guys I used to work with in AZ about how horrible our company is, so I feel like anything I say right now is going to be way more b*tchy than it needs to be, so I'll just leave it at that for now. ;))

6. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

No, celebrities should not have the right to special privileges, but money talks volumes and that's just the way it is. Besides, I really do not care a damn about le people.

7. w176

w176 Contributor Contributor

No, but a private restaurant have the right to act the way they feel is best, unless it goes against discrimination laws and so on.

If the restaurant asked me to change my place I would respected that but probably not visited that restaurant again.

If a body guard asked respectfully and nicely if I could change tables for security reason I would treated it the same way if someone with an allergy asked me to switch tabled because of their special needs, or someone with small kids asked for a place in the shade.

People in some professions deal with daily death treat and it is nice to be considerate of their need, no matter if it is an entertainer, a major or an international human rights activist.

Hey, even writers and journalist are people that might have to deal with death treats.

8. Halcyon

Halcyon Contributor Contributor

It sounds like you're only guessing that the "request" was for security reasons. It may well be that there were no free tables so they simply selected someone at random and asked them to move. It may even be that this particular celeb was a regular visitor and always sat at that same table.

None of which, on the face of it, entitled them morally to demand that anybody should move. But at the end of the day, it's business and totally understandable from a commercial viewpoint. Celebrities provide publicity to establishments like this, which boosts income, so it's only natural that they want to make this celebrity happy so that he'll come again.

Nobody said life was fair.

9. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Money talks, and garbage walks.

10. Dante Dases

Dante Dases Contributor Contributor

No, they don't have rights to special privileges. Just because they happen to be on the telly or whatever doesn't make them different. If some jumped-up TV actor tried to turf me out of a restaurant because he didn't want to share, I'd sit right where I was and tell him in no uncertain terms exactly where to go.

But on the other hand, nor does it mean that newspapers and magazines should be allowed to go prying into their private live unless they incessantly court publicity.

In my experience, though, I'm unlikely to run across anyone more famous than a Newcastle player on a night out, or maybe Paul Collingwood, who is a regular in Newcastle, and someone I have seen out there. Not spoken to him, but my friends have and by all accounts he's a really top bloke (even if his batting average isn't right cracking at the moment).

11. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

The staff of a private restaurant can ask you to move if they want to. If you don't like it, don't patronize that place in the future. if it was just the bodyguards asking, then telling them to piss off was just fine. But the business owner can ask you to move, and you can move or leave (and choose to spend your money elsewhere next time).

12. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributor Contributor

The bodyguard was just trying to justify his paycheck, I bet.

And no, celebrities are just people like everyone else and if they can't handle being out among "normals", they should have considered it before becoming famous -- or just become alcoholic xenophobes like the other celebs.

13. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

no... and bravo, bro!!!

however, 'should' has no affect on reality, sad to say... it's all just a matter of the 'what is'... and might still and always will make right, as long as humans are in charge...

14. kaylynwrong

kaylynwrong New Member

Not in that situation. They could have called in advance and made reservations.

Seriously, for all that talk about celebs wanting to be treated like 'normal' people, they sure use their status when it gets them what they want.