Tags:
  1. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Funny Adverts

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Banzai, Jul 31, 2010.

We've all seen them. We all laugh at them. All countries have their own ones.

So what are the funniest adverts on your TV screens at present?

No links to youtube, please. The rules still stand. What you can (and are encouraged to do) is post a name/description of the adverts sufficient that if members so desire, they can find said advertisements on their own.

I think the number one candidate in the UK right now, is the infamous "Juan Sheet" advert. It features a hispanic man, dressed as a cowboy-cum-superhero, rescuing a woman who has spilt some juice, and seducing her with a sheet of kitchen towel.

Yes, you heard me right. And that isn't even the funniest part. You need to hear it for that.

2. jacklondonsghost

jacklondonsghost New Member

I'm a big fan of the US commercial airing now that features a world full of rapping hamsters dressed in hip-hop clothes. I believe it's for a car make.

3. Pallas

Pallas Contributor Contributor

It was so ridiculously funny, I mean a slam dunking hamster on hamsterdam avenue, such craziness.

I especially laugh at those get toned in 30 days with some strange contraption ads, haha.

4. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

I just saw that commercial not to long ago(maybe 30 mins) and I still can't understnad what rapping hamsters have anything to do with cars. lol

5. FoxyMomma

FoxyMomma New Member

What, exactly, is a cowboy-cum-superhero? Does that middle word have the same meaning in the UK as in America????? Oy!

My favorites are a series of Corona commercials of a couple sitting on the beach. They show the couples reactions to others of the opposite sex walking past as their partner oogles them. They are funny!

6. Unit7

Apparently it does have a couple different meanings. From what I read it seems to be latin for With and a couple other things.

But its definitely not a word I would use because of its more understood meaning. lol

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The middle word is Latin, and means with. Used as above it means someone who is a combination cowboy/superhero.

8. FoxyMomma

FoxyMomma New Member

Thank you for setting me straight! I guess I should pull out the dictionary more often.

9. Unit7

You can always type
    into google and it will bring up the definitions and other interesting stuff. :)

10. Chudz

Chudz New Member

[cranky]Darn it! I was hoping to make it through the day without learning anything new! Oh well, maybe tomorrow. . . .[/cranky]

Seriously though, that's a pretty handy thing to know. Thanks for posting it.

The new crop of Old Spice commercials has some good ones, in my opinion.

11. Unit7

Its incredibly handy. Whenever I have a word I am unsure about I just simply type that into my google search bar and there is the definition. :D

Good luck on not learning anything new tomorrow though. :D

12. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

Tim and Eric FTW! I love those commercials. Not even kidding, one night Joel and I just sat on youtube and watched all of them...some several times.

Also, I have to agree about the Corona commercials. I giggle every time I see them.

13. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

Does anyone remember Budweiser's "Real Men of Genius" commercials? Honoring men who do pretty stupid things complete with the "Eye of the Tiger" singer, backup singers, and a professional narrator (you know the guys who narrate the movie commericials) has never been so funny.

I think my favourite was Mr Giant Taco Salad Inventor.

"Ground beef. Refried beans. Guacamole. Cheese. Sour Cream. And if there's any room left, a few shreds of lettuce. A culinary creation that baffles the human mind: A 12,000 calorie salad!"

And "Mr 80 SPF Sunblock Wearer" (hits a little close to home ;) ).

"There are 24 hours in a day. You're wearing 80 hour protection. If the sun fails to go down, you'll be ready. (Dont forget the moonlight!) You're coconut-scented forcefield blocks out all the sun's rays. And any stray rays... from another sun... in another galaxy."

14. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

Haha, I remember this advert. I can't think of any other funny adverts at the moment though. :(

15. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

One of the ones in the US is by an eyeglass outlet called FOREYES. Several of them are humorous scenes set to the slogan, "Unless the glasses can perform miracles, don't pay more than you have to."

One of my favorites is the attractive, conservatively dressed sales clerk handing a pair of glasses to the customer. When he puts them on, we see through his eyes, and she seems to be only dressed in her underwear, as she asks, "How do they feel?"

Another one has an older woman and her fussy, whiny husband, who is asking, "Can we go now?" But when she looks through the glasses, instead of her husband she sees a rugged, smiling stud.

The newest one is a rather plain, flat-chested woman. When she puts the glasses on, she suddenly has large breasts stretching her sweater out, to the obvious fascination of the young man at a pool table in the background. Ste takes the glasses off, returning to her original figure, then changes her mind and puts the glasses back on, and walks toward the exit.

16. jacklondonsghost

I haven't seen this one, maybe Buffalo doesn't get it. I'll have to look it up though. It sounds amusing.

17. hiddennovelist

I LOVED those!! Every time we have a customer in the store talking loudly on a cell phone, I say, "Today we salute you, Mr. Really Loud Cell Phone Talker Guy!"

I haven't seen that one, either! It sounds funny!

18. jacklondonsghost

I also enjoy the 1-800-Contacts commercials with the extremely dramatic conversations about contact lenses.

I have...special eyes...

19. hiddennovelist

Joel and I say the lines along with them in that one. :) "Look...look with your special eyes!"

20. FoxyMomma

FoxyMomma New Member

I LOVE the new gieco commercial where "this little pig cries WEEEEE WEEEE WEEEE all the way home." It's great.

21. Unit7

I love the Orbit Gum commercials. Particularly the ones where they are all using replacement words for what would be swear words. lol

22. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

^ The "What the French, toast?!/Who you callin' cootie queen, you LINT LICKER?!" one always gets me. :D

The remixed Slap-Chop commercial is great, I love the AutoTuned Bud Light commercial, the "vroom vroom party starter" Bud Light commercial, the Old Spice ones crack me up. The Betty White Snickers ad, of course. And the Doritos one where he throws the snowglobe through the vending machine. :D

23. Unit7

For some reason I just love the Lint Licker line. lol

24. hiddennovelist

The Snickers commercial with Betty White. :)

And the one with the woman sitting in the back of the car, complaining about how hot it is, and then they give her a Snickers and she turns back into a dude. We used to tell my assistant store manager at my old store that she was the pre-Snickers diva. She acted like it...

25. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

None of the commercials here are funny. Unless you were born Turkish. I think it's a culture thing. And also that they don't trouble about issues of sexism/ageism/racism or any other -ism. Makes you realise that PCness has its good side after all.

I liked the Cisco teleconferencing advert that played a while ago on CNN international. It was just the sight of the very serious-faced business executives suddenly bursting into 'I will survive', complete with disco ball, fireworks, etc, I guess.