1. Lucy E.

Lucy E. Active Member

Am I overreacting?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Lucy E., Aug 29, 2008.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  2. CDRW

CDRW Contributor Contributor

Yup, but go ahead and punch someone anyway. It's all right, because you'd have to work pretty hard to punch me, what with the Atlantic Ocean and all. Everyone else is free game. :D

3. Lucy E.

Lucy E. Active Member

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  4. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Lucy E,

Punching a wall or someone is over reacting. Pointing out when someone makes an error is the only way to lessen the chance of them making that error again. And who knows, maybe they'll correct someone else in the future, saving you the time and effort ;)

Note that some folks, if corrected in a rude manner, will continue to make the mistake simply out of spite even though they now know better.

Terry

5. Shadow Dragon

Shadow Dragon Contributor Contributor

Well that would be over-reacting. :p I'm afraid that most people around the world see England and Britain as the same thing.

6. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

I don't think you are. I'm English, and it annoys me. If someone says they're American, you don't automatically assume that they're from New York, do you? I think more awareness of the world is needed, among the general population.

7. tarnished

tarnished Contributor Contributor

Its a bit overreacting...

*hides* Don't punch me please!!

Lol I'm just kidding. Its understandable, but the best way is to just correct them and move along.

8. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Yeah, perhaps a bit. But it’s natural. I am Hispanic from Puerto Rico. MANY people assume that I eat tacos and burritos and enchiladas all day.

I don’t.

The only tacos in Puerto Rico are from Taco Bell. All of the aforementioned food is of Mexican origin. We do not eat any of it here in P.R.

9. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

And I hate when everyone in the world imagine Mexicans as people with mustaches eating tacos and burritos, with sombreros and riding donkeys. You know, like half the Mexican population are descendants from Spaniards. I don't have a mustache, I have long, straight brown hair and I don't wear sombreros!
    But, did you knew that the meat produced in Sonora is recognized as one of the bests internationally? I love eating the tacos here in Sonora... Strangely, in most places tacos don't taste as well.

10. Wreybies

So you see, it happens to many peoples. Assumptions get made about peoples and places, cultures and, well, everything. Marcelo and I are both Hispanic, but we come from distinct cultures, and even within Marcelo’s culture assumptions are made which don’t apply to all Mexicans, but people not familiar throw all of us together into one pot.

11. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

it's overreacting to get so het up about it... you can't expect others who don't live there to understand the difference...

you wouldn't know the difference between calling someone chinese and calling them cantonese or mandarin, now would you?... or between 'indian' and a hopi or a paiute, a cree or a creek?...

so, do you think someone from china, or a tribal person from the us/canada should get that mad at you, for being uninformed?

12. EyezForYou

EyezForYou Active Member

So if I call a Brazilian a Mexican or a Puerto Rican a Mexican, everyone who is dark-skinned and mows the lawn and eats tacos and burritos Mexican, is that all right?

Think before you generalize an ethnicity.

If you don't know their race you call them hispanics or latinos, not mexicans--just as you call a Korean and Japanese--Asian--not Chinese.

13. Wreybies

This thread will self-destruct in 5....4.....3.....2..........

14. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

I didn't meant that. I exaggerated, but it was to show my point. With globalization, many cultures and ethnicity collided in many countries. You can't say all Mexicans or all the U.S. citizens are the same, because they aren't. My point was that I hate when people think of everyone in a country as the same.

15. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

How much of the stereotypical English stuff (bloody hell, mate, etc) is actually said? I'm pretty sure I'm referring just to England...

I've learned the only true way to teach geography to most people is through wars. It's a lot easier to point to a place on a map that's pointing something back at you.

16. EyezForYou

EyezForYou Active Member

It's sad once you realize how many stereotypes protray and underpin Mexicans.

They're considered "poor" "dirtbag" "wetbacks" "dirty" "illegals" "criminals" "thieves" "robbers"--not just in America, but South of the border as well. All the Nicoraguans, Guatamalans, Hondurans, and El Salvadorans hate the Mexicans--the majority of them, anyway--and it's a pity.

17. adamant

adamant Contributor Contributor

If it makes you feel any better, I'm "black".

18. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

Ouch, that was a bit harsh. Well, I'm none of those examples, showing how people can get biased. And adamant, I am not racist you know. xD

19. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

I'd say it's a bit of an overreaction to get mad when people say you're using English spelling. But keep in mind not everyone knows the difference between the words Britain and England. For the longest time, I didn't know that Wales and Scotland were on the same Island as England. People just don't know. I know everyone else is saying to go ahead and punch someone, but really, why not educate them?

20. EyezForYou

EyezForYou Active Member

Do you find the word "black" to be racist?

In your honest opinion?

What about "white?"

21. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

I knew a guy from England who actually said "Jolly good."

22. lessa

lessa New Member

I don't think I ever say someone is English, American or what ever.
    If you are human I talk to you. I don't really care what race you are.
    But I say I am Canadian and people start asking questions about Toronto.
    Now Torontonians think they are in the centre of the universe but it just
    isn't so.
    If I say someone is English it is just because they speak English.
    A Frenchman is male or female speaking french.
    So please don't punch me if you meet me.
    I will change if you want me to, just let me know in advance what I should call you.

23. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

I don't find the words to be racist, but they can be, depending on how they're used (as all words). He told me to feel better because of his ethnicity. In my opinion, that doesn't matters.

24. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Senior Member

Yes, that is overracting. What others say is not entirely false since it must branch from somewhere so just be a little bit more patient if you can.

25. lessa

lessa New Member

black is a colour.
    white is a colour.
    red is a colour.
    yellow is a colour.

they are not the people or the attitudes of people.
    what makes them racist words is the people using them.
    my husband is native red would be the colour term racists use to describe him.
    He is not red. actually his skin is whiter than mine during the summer. The only time he is a different colour totally from me is when he takes his shirt off in the sun and does become a beautiful red skin colour.

if you don't judge a book by the cover definetly don't judge the person by the skin colour which is usually not the colour associated with the race.