Do you focus heavily on the first three while writing?

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Haze-world, Dec 30, 2015.

1. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

This ^
    And this ^

My beginning has changed more times than I have fingers to count.

2. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

I suspect the answer is going to depend somewhat on which route you choose - trade or indie. If you choose trade and agents and publishers, then I think you do need to do much more in terms of hooking early. That means introducing plots, antogonists, twists etc. Because as Aster says agents etc are looking to reject a work. They really want to be wowed early on because they aren't intending to read five hundred manuscripts a week. Probably just five hundred pages. So consider the opening page or two your entry form.

If you're going indie you get more flexibility - not because it's basically a free approach though that's always present - but rather because your readers aren't intending to read five hundred different manuscripts this week. They want to read one book and enjoy it. And they've already enjoyed your cover and read your blurb so they have some idea what's coming and that its up their ally. They'll mostly be more willing to give you a chance.

Cheers, Greg.

Tea@3 and Haze-world like this.
  3. Tea@3

Tea@3 Senior Member

Well said. And sensible. :)