1. ellebell16

ellebell16 Member

Do you get bored of your own ideas?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by ellebell16, Dec 26, 2010.

I keep running into this problem. I'll get an idea, be super psyched about it for weeks and weeks while I plan it and research it and day dream about it. After awhile, I'll lose interest in it and be almost desperate to find another idea...but once I do, I forget the first one and become consumed in the new one. Then the process happens again.

Does this ever happen to you? Why does it happen?

I feel like I'll never commit to a story. It's such a bad feeling.

2. Mallory

Mallory Mallegory. Contributor

For me, I'll write about 30,000 of the novel and then move on to something new. So yes, I know how it is.

I'm close to finishing the one I'm on now, though, but it's a juvenile novel and therefore shorter than an adult novel. The shortness and simplicity makes it easier for me to finish.

3. Naiyn

Naiyn Contributing Member

For me, oddly enough, when I was focused on short stories, this happened to me all the time. As a result, I've got around a hundred or more unfinished pieces while I need little more than two hands to count my finished stories. But once I started on my novel and the story began taking shape, this problem went away and I haven't thought about anything else since.

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

no...

could be:

lack of self-control
    lack of patience
    lack of perseverance
    lack of determination/passion to write
    the ideas weren't good enough
    writing skills aren't up to the job

any/all of the above... or a slew of other reasons...

5. Pook

Pook Member

As above really, seems like a lack of follow-through and an active, hurried mind.

6. VM80

VM80 Contributing Member Contributor

Not really so much these days.

I had moments like that as a teen though, when the thought of finishing something novel-length seemed impossible. I started a couple of 'books' I didn't complete.
    Looking back, it was all good exercise though.

Writing song lyrics meant note books full of scribbles and words, ideas and fragments, many of which I later used, to be fair. Fun times...

7. BillyxRansom

BillyxRansom Active Member

This, except I don't have anything finished.

8. Islander

Islander Contributing Member Contributor

Is it because you get stuck at the planning stage and are not quite sure how to start writing about it? That could cause loss of interest.

9. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

I don't get bored with my ideas. I think my ideas are fascinating. That's why I want to write them. I just have too many of them - not that I'm complaining. Come on, brain! Conjure up some more fascinating ideas!

10. Show

Show Contributing Member Contributor

Sometimes but that just means I need new ideas. I usually get bored with my ideas when I am in a dry spell of new ideas.

11. chasingepic

chasingepic New Member

Oh, you have no idea.

I'll write chapters and chapters of one story that I'm so in love with, but a few months later, I'll kick it to the curb. Sometimes I'm happy when that happens--usually the stories I forget about are crap--but no matter what it's still annoying.

I know how you feel!

12. ellebell16

ellebell16 Member

This is exactly right. I feel as though nothing I put down is going to be as good as what's in my head. It's like a paralysis :(

13. HeinleinFan

HeinleinFan Banned

The obvious solution is to write.

Look. Professionals have to take advantage of windows of opportunity. A farmer has to harvest his crop in the week-long harvest window. A carpenter has to finish his work by the deadline. Brick layers must finish before the concrete or grout dries.

Writers put their stories in tangible format (handwritten or computer, usually, although there are some typewriter fans out there) before their brains get bored and they lose the story. People will get bored at different rates, but it's not reasonable to think that if we would get bored reading a short story thirty times, we would magically not get bored thinking about a story every day for thirty days.

So sit down and write. There really isn't any other solution, save possibly writing a plot summary and filing that in the "to be written later" file.

The thing is, of course, that many people aren't actually serious about writing, and they ignore the window of opportunity when it comes. That's fine, but it is their choice. Someone who gets tons of ideas but who doesn't write them out isn't serious about being a writer. (This doesn't stop the person in question from thinking they're serious, of course. We all know someone who smokes but is going to quit "soon," and people who want good grades but don't do the homework. Same deal.)

So. Sit down and write. Don't "mentally plot it out," don't daydream, and close Wikipedia the next time you're looking up sword types for your story. Instead, open up your word processor and start typing. If you really find yourself stumped on some detail, write "He raised his ASIAN SWORD TYPE to block the oncoming spear" and then fill in the specifics later.

It doesn't do any good to daydream or research for a story that never materializes. So write the story, and do research to fix errors and fill gaps afterward.

Is this harsh? Yes. It's also the truth. In order to be a writer, you basically need to get ideas and then write them down. "Good writers" are people who do the writing down part with correct grammar, a coherent timeline, and sufficient detail that readers can see what is going on.

Many more people want to write than actually do, just as there are more people who are totally going to get in shape this year than will actually do so. Some of these would-be writers get stumped by a lack of ideas, and I don't know that there's any help for them. (How can you write without story ideas?) But the others are only held back by themselves: when they get their story ideas, they don't take the time to write the stories down.

This is why the golden rule of writing advice is "Write!" You have your ideas, and you have a month-long window to write them down. So take advantage of it.

14. finchgeam

finchgeam Member

Do I get bored with my ideas, yes!

I have written a bunch of short stories that are uhh... medium successful here in Iceland. But the thing is for a year I could only write in TV Script format and only comedy. Because If all you write is that, that becomes a standard.

Now at the age of 17, I actually can write anything.
    I stopped these comical stories because I want to write crime and mystery.

I fell in love with crime/mystery after seeing movies like Clue.

15. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributing Member Contributor

Writing is sometimes very fun, and sometimes it is work--hard stuff that has to be hammered out and refined to make it good enough.

Ideas are easy. It's getting them into story/novel form that is the hard part.

Find a good story, work in it, hang in there and get it finished. The experience and success will only improve your ability to complete projects, improve your writing and move forward.

16. HorusEye

HorusEye Contributing Member Contributor

Like they say, writing is 1% inspiration, 99% perspiration.

You seem to get stuck when the progress-bar is at around 1.1%

Start with smaller stories. Get used to the full process of writing a story. Once you know how much work a story takes for you, you'll likely also be more critical of your initial ideas.

17. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributing Member Contributor

No but I don't plan - the story is as much a surprise to me as it would be any story I was reading. Even on rewrites characters change, develop, appear etc.

For me it is exciting - I go on a journey with my characters.

18. cinnim0ngirl

cinnim0ngirl Member

For me new ideas are like falling in love. When it's new there is nothing better. This feeling that consumes you in every way. Over time that newness fades and you start having to remember why you still love it. I think we are addicted to that first rush. I know I am. It took me awhile to realize that it isn't boredom, it's just a that stage where the rush is gone and now it needs a little work. It's amazing how much we overlook while under the influence of that feeling. The hardest part of writing is getting that idea in the first place, everything else can be fixed or tweaked. Don't doubt your ideas, jump ahead to the next scene that gives you that feeling again. I did that and fell in love with my novel all over again. On my first novel it was like a roller coaster. Some days I would stare at the screen cursing it and myself. Others it was all I could do to keep up with myself, the words flew out of me. Like someone else said it's windows of opportunity. You can create them though, do it and take advantage. :)

19. Agent Vatani

Agent Vatani Active Member

That's a big probelm of mine too. I hate it too..
    I won't like 5,00 words and I really didn't like it so I trash it. My friend said, ''why did you that? I liked it, it couldn't have been a book. ''

Though on idea stays, but I am not wrting it until I know i can be a good Arthur. I wrote it onces before for publishing, I'm glad I said no. It could have ruined.

20. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I'm gonna have to agree with her.

If you want to be serious about writing, you have to get through it. You think carpenters love having to spend months on end building that building? Or that a professor loves reading through pages upon pages of term papers?

If you made a goal to write something within a month, you need to keep at it regardless of how boring it seems.

21. J_Jammer

J_Jammer Banned

I come up with so many ideas...I write them down or save them in a file. I have a lot of them. I refuse to touch them until I finish the trilogy I'm writing.

I suggest you look at what you have and push through and finish. It's not a matter of it being perfect when you're done, it's a matter of finishing. No novel or story is great first run. It takes edits.

Maybe the story won't rock the world, but you finished it. You can put it away and start something else. Never finishing something sets up an okay in your mind. Oh if I don't like this I won't have to finish it. It's allowing yourself an out.

Sometimes we have to be strict with others...and sometimes we have to do that with ourselves.

22. Allegro Van Kiddo

Allegro Van Kiddo Contributing Member

That's where the hunt is more exciting that the kill, so to speak. Growing up, I knew a lot of guys like that. They'd get excited about some girl, pursue for dating, then after success, suddenly, they're bored and it's time to hunt some new girl. I realized that was likely caused by a fear of real success, which is a relationship. Thus, the serial dating may fear the completion of the dating process.

If you buy that, then it's not hard to believe starting art projects and not finishing them may be about the fear of how you will handle the "adult" work of what to do with that completed project. I know I have a bit of that.