1. medioxcore

medioxcore Member

do you guys ever hate your work?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by medioxcore, Apr 25, 2009.

i'm attempting to write a novel.

some days, i love it. everything sounds perfect to me, and i get giddy about it.

some days.. more often than not, i absolutely cannot stand it. i read what i have and it just sounds so terrible to me, and i end up closing Word and walking away from my computer. i then go for days without looking at it again.

i've had this problem since the beginning. love/hate. so i planned on posting it here for a critique, because an outside viewpoint would be incredibly helpful for me. it would either validate or nullify my negative thoughts about what i'm doing. the only problem is that i want to post the entire opening because the ending of this opening scene is where, i think, it gets good. i believe you guys would call it "the hook"

blah blah blah. long story short- i want to post the *finished* opening for critiquing because i believe not doing so would be selling my writing short, problem is.. i can't finish the opening because i mostly think it's garbage, which is why i want to post it in the first place.

it's a vicious cycle. lol

halp?

my apologies if this was incoherent. it's 4am and i'm too exhausted to properly convey thought through text.

2. Dalouise

Dalouise Contributing Member

I never hate my work, but there are times when I believe some of it could be better and I may be frustrated while I figure out how.
    When you are *allowed* to post some of your work, throw it in as it is if you are going round in circles and perhaps someone will come up with what you need.
    Alternatively, walk away from it for a few weeks and start something else, when you get back to it things may be clearer. ;)

3. RIPPA MATE

RIPPA MATE Contributing Member

Yeah sometimes I think my work's crap, and it is. So i go make it better.
    I find i can tell what stories of mine are good and what are bad. And if Im nt sure i get other people to give their opinions.

4. writing4me

writing4me Member

I think everybody goes through a phaze where they love and hate their writing. But I think hate is too negative, frustration would be a better way to describe it. Writing a novel takes time and alot of work plus there are good and bad days as well. If you find you "hate" it just do something else and maybe when you go back to it, you might feel happy about it.

CJ

5. KP Williams

KP Williams Contributing Member

Some days I get bored with my writing, and sometimes I'll look back at something I wrote a long time ago and laugh until it hurts, but I've never actually hated anything I've written.

You might try to remember why you wanted to write the hated story in the first place. Maybe it'll get you back into it. Or maybe you hate it because you've been writing the wrong story and should try something else. All I know is that if you try to force something that doesn't want to come out, it'll end up horribly disfigured. In my experience, at least.

6. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis Contributing Member

Yep, constantly. Not the story, I love the story. My writing is just... not good enough.

7. ArckAngel

ArckAngel Member

It's called revision. You work is never going to e good enough the first time around. The first draft is always garbage The important thing is, you got the idea down on paper. Now work on the writing part.

8. Chaos Octopus

Chaos Octopus New Member

I would advise to finish the opening regardless of whether or not you hate what you have written, odds are its not nearly as bad as you think it is, besides, we can't help you if you wont show us what you have done. Even if bits of it are bad the good people here are always constructive, and maybe we can help you come up with new ideas or somesuch to get your writing back on track.

(Apologies for any probable spelling errors, my keyboard hates me.)

9. Alone And Tired

Alone And Tired Senior Member

I don't like my work all the time. I've very secretive about it and I'm not very confident about it either so I end up gauging my own feelings towards it based on the opinions of others. Not friends as much though as I always feel they are being nice.
    Even if others say they like it I still have my doubts but I trust them over myself haha

10. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

absoultely not!... never, ever have... never, ever will...

11. -NM-

-NM- Active Member

SOmetimes i hate my work because it's so plainly crap, and so i usually either try to make it better or go and have a good sulk for a while and then come back to it a few days/weeks/months later.

Other times i quite like something i've done, until someone reads it and then i tend to take their criticisms to heart and then hate it again.

I doubt i'll ever like my work much, but if i ever did get to a stage where i really liked something i'd written i would be worried anyway.

12. medioxcore

medioxcore Member

both of these. haha.

idk. i guess i set pretty high standards for myself, and since i am secretive over any creative endeavors, i never really get an outside opinion... which just leaves me always thinking "this is so sub-par"

but this is definitely the story i want to write. and i will finish it. eventually :)

thanks for all your responses, guys.

:love:

13. lynneandlynn

lynneandlynn Contributing Member

I've never hated a single thing I've ever written. I've gotten frustrated and angry because I couldn't get started on a story, but when I'm actually writing, the whole world fades away. Nothing matters but the pen in my hand and the words on the page...I wrote for an hour the other night and it felt like five minutes. The act of writing is perfect, so why would I ever hate something I've written? I'll go back and see how I can make something better, because we're always evolving, improving as both writers and human beings...there's no shame in seeing the written works that were/are stepping stones to a better writer/a better person. Writing is like breathing to me...why would I ever hate something I need to live?

~Lynn

14. Wreybies

Wreybies The Ops Pops Operations Manager Staff Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

To the OP, medioxcore.

You need a fresh mind set.

First of all, ask Daniel to change that screen name. You've already told everything I need to know as to how you feel about yourself. Where is there to go from there??

15. Unsavory

Unsavory Active Member

In all fairness there might be a meaning to the name that we don't understand. If we took those things at face value I don't think either you or I would be very popular at parties. :p

To the original poster, I've definitely felt frustration in rereading my work, but only because I know I could do so much better. Shame crawls in if I've shown that work to other people prematurely...

But if you can see that something is wrong, you can fix it, and there are certainly people here who are willing and happy to help you with that process.

16. arron89

arron89 Banned

I'm usually pretty negative about what I write, but rather than getting bummed out by it, I just use that disgust at what is already written and do a better rewrite. Then give it some space, come back to it and repeat the process until you ca read and not feel bad about it anymore. Posting work here helps this process cuz you can write something, put it here, check back in a couple of days, realise you hate it and have a few comments uggesting other people's ideas on how to improve. Yay Team!

17. Agreen

Agreen Faceless Man Contributor

Maybe the odd line, but then I just replace it with something better. Does it frustrate me? Sometimes, but again if something's bugging me I read it over to find out what's off and try something else.

18. g1ng3rsnap9ed

g1ng3rsnap9ed Contributing Member

Sometimes, but only my early writings. How I see it is that I was a way different person back then when I wrote the pieces and my feelings on life/death/etc. have all changed. I still appreciate writing the stories though, because if I didn't write a bunch of steaming crap I'd never of gotten any better by realizing through my own mistakes. :)

19. medioxcore

medioxcore Member

no

ha!

no no no.

this username is a play on the current state of the hardcore music scene. It seems as though people have lost all creativity in coming up with new genre names; merely appending the word "core" onto the end of other already established genres.

metalcore, mathcore, grindcore, etc, etc.

this trend has also spilled over into everyday slang. everything is "core" now. fashioncore, radcore, nerdcore... it's become.. eh. irritating at best.

the x is a nod to the straightedge side of the hardcore scene, as X's are often worn on the hands of straightedgers.

no, i can assure you i am 100% comfortable with who i am, and that i love myself wholeheartedly. it's just my writing i get down on. lol.

20. Welsh Wizard

Welsh Wizard Banned

Well, you could shove it in a drawer and let it 'mature' for a few months. I have done that with my novel on several occasions. I have done it for as long as a year and gone back to it, read through it, realised that it still worked, that I still believed in it, and then carried on.

Or you can simply swap between pieces of work and move on to a poem, web blog, short story etc and go back to that difficult piece later on.

Whatever you do, never destroy your work. Even if, with time, your fresh and detached perspective makes you realise it doesn't work, there are often ideas and fragments that are salvageable, ready to be re-worked into a fresh piece of writing.

21. sophie.

sophie. Contributing Member

Do I hate what I write?

ALL the time.

22. Amor

Amor Member

I don't hate my work. Hate's a strong word. I may get frustrated at times and wonder who the heck wrote that sad excuse for literature, but that's what drives me to go back and revise what I've written. Really, I'm never completely satisfied with what I write...I'm never actually done writing a story confidently, I don't think to myself "oh, I'm finished now, it doesn't need anything else" because it does need something else.