Do you have a super power?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Wreybies, Jul 10, 2013.

1. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

At least that's enviable! I have a very bad habit of dropping books and then picking them up months later. I always have to go back and re-read at least bits and pieces of what happened before, which is annoying cos there's a chance I'll drop the book soon after again, and then, a few months later, will have to start all over again. Stephen King's "Wolves of the Kalla" is a good example of this. I've been going back and forth for the past year. Maybe it's time to give up.

2. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

I have an uncanny ability to judge singing and dance competitions and to comment on tennis. My husband is always having hysterics when the commentators say things I just said. It comes from doing all those things for a long time, and watching performances, so it's not really strange, but to others it seems uncanny :D

3. mrieder79

mrieder79 Probably not a ground squirrel Contributor

As long as I get a cape I'll be happy.

4. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Trying so hard not to have an Edna Mode moment. :D

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i discovered that i can make a pendulum move in any direction i 'will it' to, which still seems pretty weird to me... :rolleyes:

and i found to my additional shock and surprise that i can take pain away from others with my hands, by 'willing' it to flow out of them and into me... the weirdest thing is that it leaves the sufferer and doesn't hurt me at all... :confused:

there's more, but nothing i care to air in public... ;)

6. Justin Ladobruk

Justin Ladobruk Active Member

I can stay awake and function for days on end.

I know the secrets to avoiding a hangover after being drunk (as this morning can attest, hooray for ex-girlfriends!).

I run faster than a missed bus.

I've never broken a bone in my body.

7. T.Trian

T.Trian Overly Pompous Bastard Supporter Contributor

I have three super powers:

1. I remember melodies and harmonies extremely well even though I don't have absolute pitch. Back when the internet wasn't quite as helpful as it is nowadays, we had to learn songs just by listening to them because we couldn't afford to buy the sheet music. Although back then I was the drummer of the band, I would immediately notice if the guitarists played a wrong note even if it was correct harmony-wise although I hadn't listened to the original tape except maybe once or twice.

2. I'm a "tolemonster," i.e. I have a naturally very high tolerance for all drugs / medicine / alcohol / caffeine / nicotine etc. My friend started drinking 6 months before I did and he drank every weekend. When we went to a party together for the first time, he boasted he would drink me under the table, but after three glasses of sparkling wine and 3 liters of beer, he started puking his guts out, so I finished my 4th liter as well as his last liter even though it was the first time I drank more than one beer and I was 14 at the time. Likewise at one point my daily dose of tramadol (a painkiller, an opioid) was three times the dose that would have killed an ordinary man (although at that point I had built up some tolerance to the drug, but whenever my doctor starts me on a new one, she has to prescribe the maximum dose or else it just won't work).

3. I only need to look at a girl / woman once, and I can immediately tell what kind of nipples / areolas she has (big, small, dark, pale, reddish pink, brownish pink etc). And that's when she's fully clothed. This is the only one I can't really explain, but I have a hunch it's got something to do with skin / body types and somehow I have an ability to read them accurately in this regard. How's that for a useless super power?

8. Justin Ladobruk

Justin Ladobruk Active Member

You're just Russian! :p

:eek:

9. T.Trian

I actually do have some Slavic blood coursing in my veins: my dad's from Bulgaria, so I'm only half-Nordic. Maybe that explains it. :D

No kidding. And I've never been wrong so far. :confused:

10. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I can find my husband's eyeglasses, no matter where he's left them...

11. Wreybies

She is Opti-Gal! :D

12. KaTrian

That's so cool!
    You are like a cat. You know, when you're in pain and then your cat comes purring next to you and the pain melts somewhere in the background...

13. Wreybies

We will create three different personas for you in three different universes. ;)

Here, your name is Melody. A classic style name. But with a name like that, this is the universe where you are one of those rare gay super heroes. Don't panic, you're a handsome fellah'. The world is your oyster, metaphorically speaking. ;)

Intoxaclese. 'Nuff said. :D

Here your name is Nipplor or maybe Mamoron. This could be an alternative universe version of Melody, because here there can be no doubt of your str8ness. :D

14. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

I was going to ask just how often you have the opportunity to ascertain that you are correct, but then I remembered about you Finns and all your nakedness....

Perhaps a lot of Americans might have this ability, too, but they just don't realize it.

15. squishytheduck

squishytheduck New Member

every time I laugh a fairy gets her wings.

1 person likes this.
  16. TerraIncognita

TerraIncognita Aggressively Nice Person Contributor

Haha okay I get what you meant now. :p I'm 5'1 1/4 and have an awful time keeping up with most people who are much taller than me. I can move fast but they have much longer strides.

17. JCAC138

JCAC138 New Member

I have day-nightmares..

18. T.Trian

Nipplor... :D Now there's an idea for a short story. Perhaps it would be about three reincarnations of the same soul or one of them encountering his / her dopple(tripple?)gangers from alternate universes?

Yup, every Finn sees his / her fair share of naked people and if you're of the more frolicsome sort, the number grows exponentially, giving you the opportunity to, indeed, ascertain you have deduced the type of nipples / areolas correctly (note, I say "deduced" instead of "guessed" because there's definitely some thought process that brings me to a conclusion even though at the moment it's still all subconscious).

I'm determined to one day figure out just what gives me this ability so I can explain it and use it in a story along with the explanation of how the character is able to know what kind of nipples the ladies around him / her have.

The weird (an enviable) thing is, she never even practices sprinting and yet is capable of achieving times almost fast enough to compete on a national level. I'm pretty sure she's got some bunny genes or something. Well, makes me sleep easier because, after all, the best form of self-defense is the 400 yard dash. :cool:

19. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

If Superman can fly until he comes into contact with Kryptonite, then I can predict the winner of any big race until I put money on it. Seriously, the last eleven (annual) grand nationals I have picked the winner, put the name of the horse in my pocket and produced it at the end of the race as proof. Every other big race before that I have lost!

20. TerraIncognita

TerraIncognita Aggressively Nice Person Contributor

Haha I bet! That's nuts! Lol true true. I should probably work on at least walking faster. lol

21. KaTrian

Nipplor :D I almost lolled, good thing I didn't 'cause I'm at work and people would've looked at me funny...
    Gay superhero Melody sounds freakin' awesome too. T, this is a comic you'll have to draw.

That's a rather sucky superpower :( On the other hand, you could make your wife win...

22. jazzabel

Yup, it's exactly how it works. I can spot a woman that has endometriosis and a male paedophile (as long as he is over 40). It's a combination of traits I pick up on because I worked extensively with both (gynae outpatients and then with paedo group therapy in forensic psych). It's not a fact I advertise to others, but I have been right every time I checked.

23. T.Trian

Practice makes perfect. Just for the record though, I've never worked in the field of my super power or studied at the University of Nipple Recognition.

24. jazzabel

[MENTION=53329]T.Trian[/MENTION]: that just means you're a natural :D

25. T.Trian

We each have our talents. :D

This reminds me of one mystery that I've observed over the years in several people, seeing as how I've hung around a lot of athletes:

Some people seem to have a level of control over their bodies that, in comparison to yours truly, is almost superhuman. They're great at catching things thrown at them (like a ball) with barely a glance at it before they snatch it out of the air whereas I would've fumbled and failed. Or when they stumble mid-sprint, instead of ending up flat on their face like us regular joes and janes, they do a forward roll and end up rolling all the way back on their feet without thinking twice about it. Things like these are like second nature to them.

I'm wondering is this natural talent that some have and the rest of us would have to work hard to achieve, or are these just individuals who, because of an athletic background, have just developed the skill over the course of years of hard work?
    Now, I'm a firm believer in the notion that practically anyone with "normal" capacities can develop these skills with hard work and dedication, but I remember being 5-6yo and having friends who were like this: always picked first to teams during PE classes because they were good, if not great, at practically every sport from soccer to hockey to swimming and running. Nobody can have years upon years of experience at that age which sorta kinda makes me think that there is also such a thing as talent, a gift that gives these individuals a head start when it comes to all things physical.
    Many of them also seem to have stronger joints, i.e. they are less prone to injuries than some others. This, of course, might be the result of a different lifestyle: days spent playing outside, climbing, running etc. vs. the kid who spends his / her days sitting in front of a game console / computer.

I have about 25 years of some kind of training / sports (ranging from several different martial arts / combat sports to swimming, weight training, and running) under my belt, but my hand-eye co-ordination is still nowhere near these prodigies. I remember a guy from another class (we were 9-10yo at the time) who was one of these incredibly skilled / gifted bastards. He could toss a snowball 10 feet up in the air, seemingly casually, turn to grin at the rest of us, and it would fall on his head, smack center. Or he would hang from a branch with his legs and when the school bell called us back to class, he'd jump off with a somersault, just like that, and tag along with us mere mortals.

Is this a super power some just possess? Is it the result of diligent training? Or both? Does anybody here confess to being such a real-life spider man?