1. g_man526

g_man526 Member

Do You Have a Writing "Jam"?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by g_man526, Apr 28, 2013.

I always like to ask fellow writers, don't know why. Personally my preferences change by the day, but do you listen to music or any other sort of white noise while you write? If so, what're your druthers?

As I said, my choice changes from day to day, but lately I've turned to turn-of-the-century Europop and ska. No, I have no reasonable explanation for that particular combination.

2. Nee

Nee Contributing Member

Anything that has no words to it.

Music scores for movies works well...though, mostly silence is best.
    That's probably why I write in the middle of the night so often.

3. Kaga

Kaga Member

Yep. Listening to AC/DC as I write this, and I've got a fair bit of metal and (hard) rock on my playlist. The only things I don't have are rap, electronic music (with a few exceptions), mainstream pop and black/death metal. I like music with a recognizable beat and someone who doesn't sound like they're trying to deepthroat the mic while they roar from the top of their lungs.

4. Nicki_G

Nicki_G Member

I LOVE music while I write. One art fuels another!

It really depends on what I am writing for what "jams" I listen to.

When I was writing my play, I listened to Eminem and Ellie Goulding. When I was writing my short horror story, I listened to bush and creepier music. And now with my most current project, it's songwriter/folk-y type songs.
    Sometimes I just put on a random mix and see where it brings me. I really do feel that music generates more writing for me than silence.

5. suddenly BANSHEES

suddenly BANSHEES Contributing Member

I have a hard time writing without some kind of music - I guess because I grew up with my father, who can't speak without shouting, so I always needed something to block him out :p

I like to listen to music that fits the setting or mood of what I'm writing because I am a huge dweeb. For my current story I set a Pandora station that plays Janis Joplin and Jimi Hendrix and all that fun stuff.

1 person likes this.
  6. Garball

Garball Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand. Supporter Contributor

I like JS Bach and Ludwig Van. The later romantics (e.g. Wagner and Mahler) are too distracting. I end up listening to the music too much and can't concentrate on writing.

My wife gets surprised when she comes home and hears Adiemus playing

7. TerraIncognita

TerraIncognita Aggressively Nice Person Contributor

Same here. haha

I've even gone so far as to make playlist for specific moods and characters. :p

In general it's not anything specific. I have pretty varied taste in music. If it has good lyrics or musicality I will most likely enjoy it.

8. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributing Member Contributor

I spend hardly any time on my own so I use music to block out the people around me. I often listen to one song or an album (if the track order flows well) on repeat until I'm finished with a section. I bounce around with artists and genre depending on what I feel fits that day. For my current WIP I've been listening to a mix of ballads, cabaret, dark wave, metal, rock, and 80s/90s pop.

Today I'm feeling rock ballads. :)

9. g_man526

g_man526 Member

Good point, never tried writing to rap or mainstream pop before (I have with black/death metal...that was very distracting). And today I think I will experiment with typing to rap. Hey, never know till you try.

10. Trilby

Trilby Contributing Member Contributor

I prefer silence, but it's not easy to come by.

11. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

I can't do movie scores, as much as I would love to. I start thinking about the movies instead of my work, haha.

12. Jhunter

Ever since I started writing, some years ago, I slowly started to only listen to classical music--while writing and brainstorming. Then, eventually, it began to be the only thing I listen to, period. Since I am always brainstorming my book, all day, everyday--no matter where I am. And, well, I love it. I used to fall asleep to it as a child--rediscovering my love for it a few years ago was easy.

I have been listening to a lot of Handel and Brahms lately:

You also can't go wrong with some Bach:

If anyone is interested, Amazon has insane deals on classical music.

I myself--even with the terrible cover art--love the "Rise of the Masters" collection: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=rise%20of%20the%20masters&sprefix=rise+of+the+mast%2Caps&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Arise%20of%20the%20masters

For some reason Amazon doesn't have the Brahms collection, I had to get that in iTunes.

13. jannert

jannert Contributing Member Supporter Contributor

I need music to write by, in order to drown out the ice cream vans that constantly circle our neighbourhood like a school of sharks. There are only so many times you can listen to the same two tinkly bars of 'Whistle While You Work' or 'Sail, Navy, Down The Bay, Anchors Aweigh' before losing the will to live.

I drown them out with classical guitar music or classical music (like chamber music) which is even in tone, and doesn't have a lot of loud versus soft bits. I find I can write to this kind of music. I would prefer silence, but chance would be a fine thing...

14. g_man526

g_man526 Member

So apparently today's jam is ten hours of forest and woods sounds on YouTube.

15. ChaosReigns

ChaosReigns Be Still and Know Contributor

i fing Progressive Metal helps me a lot with writing, especially bands such as Opeth, Dream Theater and Symphony X.

I do sometimes end up using lines in a slightly shuffled form as part of my writing, generally for a description or something.

16. g_man526

g_man526 Member

I'll admit, I've had pretty limited success with those three in particular (as much as I'm a fan of that second one). I found echolyn and Royal Hunt for some reason do the trick though.

17. ChaosReigns

ChaosReigns Be Still and Know Contributor

thats interesting, i seem to get quite a lot of pretty good ideas when listening to them three

and on occasion, Nightwish have been known to help some of my writing

1 person likes this.
  18. Thornesque

Thornesque Contributing Member

Can honestly write to just about anything. I really enjoy all the different kinds of music that's out there (or at least some bits of all of the different kinds) and I can write to any of them as long as they fit the mood of what I'm writing. I don't have that one song that I can write to no matter what. I can't write a fighting scene while I've got a slow song in the back of my mind. But I can listen to anything from Adele to Linking Park to Vivaldi.

19. suddenly BANSHEES

suddenly BANSHEES Contributing Member

I do the same thing! I feel so silly about it, but it's a lot of fun. I mostly just listen to specific playlists when I'm drawing my characters or brainstorming certain scenes. It helps me get into ~the zone~ so to speak.

20. blackstar21595

blackstar21595 Contributing Member

Video game and anime OSTs.

21. Jhunter

I listen to all the Final Fantasy piano soundtracks, loved them since I was kid.

22. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

I prefer silence, or ambient noise. You know those CDs you can buy with rain sounds or jungle sounds or the like? Those work okay for me.

I'm a musician, and that means if music is playing somewhere in the house, I'm paying too much attention to it. If I'm trying to write, the rhythm of the music spoils the rhythms of my sentences.

I can't stand rap or hip-hop or electronica. I guess I'm too old for that kind of thing. When I listen to music, it's usually classic rock, folk-rock, straight folk, blues, or jazz.

If I'm writing, and I have to tolerate music, it has to be instrumental. I like most classical music, especially solo instruments - classical guitar or piano sonatas work well for me. Some movie soundtracks are good, too. I've also had good luck writing to Miles Davis - Kind of Blue, Sketches of Spain, or Bitches Brew.

23. squishytheduck

squishytheduck Senior Member

Daft Punk is my soundtrack to everything. For lyricless electronica, try RATATAT and Deadmau5.

24. Selbbin

Selbbin I hate you Contributor

I like: The chatter of cafes, roads (kinds like ocean sounds), a fan running nearby. That kind of noise.

25. Suffering-is-Beauty

Suffering-is-Beauty Member

I listen to the same thing. the music seems to put me in a writing trance, and the funny part is that I don't play the games. just listen to the music when I write.