?

Do you have goals like the ones mentioned in the thread?

1. Yes!

12 vote(s)
    52.2%
  2. No!

4 vote(s)
    17.4%
  3. Sometimes

7 vote(s)
    30.4%
  1. Cailinfios

Cailinfios Member

Do you have goals?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Cailinfios, Jan 22, 2014.

So I'm curious... do you give yourself personal writing goals? Not like "I want to be published before I'm 30" kind of goals, more like "I will write 300 words every day, except Saturday when I'll write 700." or "I'll finish this story before my birthday" kind of goals.
    I do, and I'm finding them to help me a lot!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  2. Poziga

Poziga Contributor Contributor

I don't have goals like this, especially now that I'm still in college, I don't always have time to write.
    I don't write every day. I wait until I get an idea, which I think is good, then I write every day until I finish.
    And even when writing, I don't have a daily goal, I write as long as I'm comfortable doing it. One day I can write only half a page, and the next day, I can write 4 pages. :)

But in the long run, I'd like to earn enough money to buy a sailing yacht/boat. That's my goal, to sail and write on the boat (and to have an Alaskan malamute, they are so damn beautiful :D ). :)

matwoolf likes this.
  3. Passero

Passero Member

I am just starting out. Not even written a story yet however I did set myself a goal of writing at least 1500 words a day.
    This can vary from free writing to some exercises. This way I will at least train my brain in writing.

4. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

I sometimes have these sorts of goals, but not very often, as I'm busy with my university work, which is also Creative Writing. I certainly don't have a 'write X amount every day' goal, but I know that works for some writers, and that's fine. I do, however, have goals like the one you mentioned, such as finishing a story before a birthday, or whatever. Because I have so many stories - novels, short stories, and not yet fully-formed ideas - going on in my head, goals like these are great because I can say that I've finished them and move along to something else, rather than just finishing them when I have the time.

5. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

Sometimes I might set a specific goal, like the ones listed, especially concerning first drafts and revision, when to get them ready. But as for daily wordcount, no. When I'm working on something I usually write every day until I'm ready, with maybe just a day off here and there, but I try not to, because that makes it harder to get back into it again. I'd say I have more goals of the other kind, the long term ones, like, I want to see my books translated into english one day, or I want book x to become a movie (hehe, no harm in dreaming big, right? :rolleyes:). But since those are a little harder to work on, they are more like dreams than goals, actually. And I'm a dreamer.

edit: Current goal for 2014 is to find a publisher for Novel #2 and write novel #3.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  6. xanadu

xanadu Contributor Contributor

I never would have thought that a daily word quota would work for me, but it does. So I make it a goal to hit no less than 800 words a day, preferably 1000. That lends itself well to a goal of taking only 3 months to write a 90K novel (which of course doesn't happen because I don't always meet my quota, but that's fine). Another goal would be to do an edit/revision of every project I have whenever I complete a new one, with the new one being last (to give space for distancing). Other than that, I don't have any goals set for publication yet, as none of my works are ready--still more drafts to come, I'm sure. Maybe I should set a goal there to avoid endlessly tinkering...

7. TDFuhringer

TDFuhringer Contributor Contributor

3000 words a day. Write every day.

I'm reaching my word count goal 1 day out of 3 right now. I'm reaching my write every day goal about 6 out of 7 days now. :)

EDIT: Before anybody says "Wow, you could write a novel in a month at that speed"... No. My real talent is revision. I revise a work between three to six times, each time making major improvements. And to those who say, "Why not write it right the first time?"... Have you ever tried building a really great wood table and only sanding it once? Doesn't work.

Tesoro likes this.
  8. Edward M. Grant

Edward M. Grant Contributor Contributor

I first read this as 'do you have goats?', and was about to say that goats do keep finding their way into my stories for no apparent reason.

Goals, though, I'm aiming to release at least one short book (short story to novella) a month this year, and finish and release as many of my unfinished novels as I can. Hopefully I can get two or three done by December.

9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

no... never have, other than that imposed by others, when I was under a deadline for a magazine or newspaper column...

10. Renee J

Renee J Senior Member

I'd like to finish my first draft before I turn forty in May.

TDFuhringer likes this.
  11. Alesia

Alesia Pen names: AJ Connor, Carey Connolly Contributor

Nope, and never will. Goals equal pressure and that sucks all of the fun out of writing.

12. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I often set goals. Not word-count goals, or write-every-day goals, but I'll-finish-this-story-by-the-Super-Bowl goals. I nearly always miss them, though. I often hit snags that take me a while to solve.

13. Mans

Mans Contributor Contributor

I confess I haven't any particular goal. The only motive to me is writing in English. I even don't think my stories are published one day. I suppose I am an able writer but an unknown and quiet writer. The cause that I have not written a complete story (even in my language) is that I have not any motive or goal for this propose. There is nothing to move me to do that. The only thing that I like to write is some humorous and short stories because they make me happy, joyful and remove my depression. I even haven't any social motive to write this kind stories (for readers ). The only motive to me is the readers' choice. When I observe some readers are happy of my writing, it cause I turn on the other motors of my mind. At present the all my mind motors are off except the one which it is working with a low thrust :D

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  14. Albirich

Albirich Active Member

My goal is to be done with the writing part when I'm finished at college, hopefully gotten quite the editing done too, which means I got three years to finish.

My reason for this is because when I'm finished with college I'm moving to England to study, as well as following my dream as an author :)

15. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Contributor

I don't have small goals like that when it comes to writing.
    If I write, I write.
    If circumstances leave me unable or whatever, I don't mind.
    My stories and knowledge on writing will stay alert for when I can dedicate myself to it.

VM80 likes this.
  16. mrieder79

mrieder79 Probably not a ground squirrel Contributor

I have a 1,000 word a day minimum. This is a minimum count for days that I'm sick or get home from work late or the kids have leeched out every last bit of mental energy that I possess. Usually I can hit 1250 to 1500 words.

Cailinfios and TDFuhringer like this.
  17. Ice_Twin

Ice_Twin New Member

I'm also one who never thought goals would work, but setting small ones like writing 500 words a day helps keep me motivated as I feel I've achieved something :D

18. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I try to set achievable goals for myself. Currently, my goal is to write a polished and edited short story by the end of the semester, which gives me roughly 3.5 months. That may seem like a long time to write a story, but with school and all I think it's a fair goal.

19. marshipan

marshipan Contributor Contributor

I thought that was a great idea too. Little distraction, just me on the boat in some Caribbean island's bay. Then I tried it...there were some positive notes. Waking up and traveling over to a small french bakery for croissant and espresso every morning, swaying on the boat hammock in the sun and cooling wind while observing the nearby mountains, drifting off to sleep ever so often from complete relaxation, and being so unbelievable bored that it was either enact my plan to blast a hole in the bottom of the ship or write.

It was a preliminary trip, and after a few weeks of heat rash, sweaty and difficult sleep, and lack of all electricity except lights and the cooler box, I was craving the stench of fast food grease and the frustration of taxes. I got a taste of true boredom on that boat--nothing I could attain in my normal life. I became convinced I was in love with someone I didn't know (and who didn't actually exist) and wrote emotionally about the pain of how passionate and unfortunate my love was. I began forming plans on the most interesting ways to sink the boat and slowly hoping more each day that I'd just do it. I fantasized more clearly than I ever have about having sex and acted it out alone for hours--haha! Then I wrote essay on top of essay dissecting my personality by efficiently describing separate aspects of my thought process when processing concepts. Papers were everywhere, I looked like a schizophrenic.

Okay, in hindsight it can make some good writing material but when I set my foot back on land I vehemently told myself I would not be going back for the long stay (6 month minimum) I had planned. Personally, not the life/vacation for me even though some people could think of no other way to live! I hope--if you haven't already--you plan to do a test run before any long stays!

----

At the original topic: right now I'm trying to finish something fast (for me) and so my goal is 3,000 words a day until it's finished. Set that number to reach my main goal to finish writing it in a week (15,000 word essay). I generally don't have goals but I'm suddenly changing that in lieu of recent...law trouble (whoops). Playing every angle to earn some extra cash!

Poziga likes this.
  20. Poziga

Poziga Contributor Contributor

It looks like you could've used a company of a Wilson volleyball.:D

I believe you, I guess I too would get bored. But there is a little difference. I would sail on Adriatic sea, and during summer almost all of my friends are on vacation all over croatian seaside. So I wouldn't be so alone. I'd go to a gulf for a day or two and write, then I`d go to a nearest friend for some company.
    Of course I might be mistaken and this is all just an adventurous side of me talking, ignoring all the negative sides of this dreams, but if I'll ever have a chance of trying this way of writing, I'll probably take it. :)

Still, all that is just a wish, first I'd have to buy a boat and I'm not even near that. But like you said, it would probably be good to do a test run. Thanks for advice and too bad it didn't work out for you. :/
    But on the other hand, you accomplished something from your to-do list, I guess?:)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  21. DPVP

DPVP Active Member

yes i do goals a lot, for work and my personal life. i find that they really help and motivate me. Generly i set a goal and then the reach version of it, i shoot as hard as i can for the reach and if i dont get it i take the goal as consultation "you suck but you tried"

i have not done one for writing recently because work takes up most of my life, but last time i did i beat my target by two weeks.

Cailinfios likes this.
  22. Bryan Romer

Bryan Romer Contributor Contributor

I used to do 2000 words a day without fail, but now that I have a reasonable number of published books, I've reduced that to 500-1000 and even that not strictly.

23. iPatrick

iPatrick New Member

I can't function with goals like that. What I normally do, is take notes, and think about them.( This is my daily goal) and then I wait..and wait..and suddenly I can't stop writing.

24. Siena

Siena Senior Member

I give myself deadlines. So yes.

TDFuhringer likes this.
  25. Sheriff Woody

Sheriff Woody Active Member

I like to write a minimum of 500 words a day. That equates to roughly one book in 6 or 7 months. That leaves nearly half a year for revising, which is a lot of revising. One book a year seems like a reasonable, attainable goal.