Do you have someone who believes in your writing as much as you do?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by TuSlick, Jul 18, 2015.

1. C. W. Evon

C. W. Evon Member

Tucked into one of my writing journals is a red envelope with a card in it. I call it "the little red envelope that made so much difference." The best English teacher I've ever had gave it to me at the end of the year, and in it, she encouraged me to keep writing, basically not to rob the world of what I have to say. It came at a point when I was considering giving up, and now, whenever I get discouraged, I pull it out and read it.

GingerCoffee, OurJud and EdFromNY like this.
  2. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Reminds me of that 'lump in the throat' moment from the TV show The Office, when Tim buys Dawn a pad and a box of oil paints with the message 'Never give up' (her dream was to be a book illustrator).

C. W. Evon likes this.
  3. Foxe

Foxe Active Member

I write for many different mediums. I post poetry on Instagram for fun, and that has gained me a small following, including some friends of mine who absolutely love my poetry; who go out of their way to tell me it resonates with them and stands out above the rest (of whatever they know of poetry, which may be little).

My other medium is writing foreign affairs and political articles which are really enjoyed by my editors and the general readership of the publication.

Professionally, I'm a copywriter, and I've had nothing but success in that line (as shown by my continued employment at an agency, and happy clients).

Now when I want to get serious and write a novel or a book of poetry, I recoil in self doubt in spite of overwhelming belief in me by friends, loved ones, and strangers. How peculiar.