Do you intend to get published?

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by bruce, Nov 6, 2009.

1. izanobu

izanobu New Member

Sure do (already sold one story). I intend to make my living writing fiction.

2. MJ Preston

MJ Preston Banned

deleted

3. Manav

Manav New Member

Same here ;)

4. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I'm not sure yet.

Right now, I'm in a skill-building phase, to see if I can raise the quality of my writing from "better than average" to, well, better than better than average. :) So I don't yet have my eye on getting anything published. And for now, the desire for feedback and readers is being satisfied by my blog.

However, the fact that I'm reading blogs about publishing suggests that I'm preparing for the idea. And the fact that there are certain pieces of writing that I hold back rather than plopping them on my blog or submitting them for online critique suggests, again, that I'm holding them back for _something_, and if not publication, what would that something be?

So apparently I'm cautiously circling the subject, without clearly notifying myself that I'm doing so. However, even in my most ambitious fantasies, I don't see myself making a substantial portion of my income through writing.

ChickenFreak

5. Afterburner

Afterburner Active Member

I mean, I'd love to get my stuff published someday, but I don't know if that will ever happen. I write because I get an idea that I just HAVE to put down on paper. I want to tell the story, rather than just have it sit in my head. If that story astounds a publisher one day and they think other people will want to read it, then that's just another positive.

6. SilverWolf0101

SilverWolf0101 Active Member

Writing is mostly a hobby for me, I enjoy doing it and really could care less if my book ever goes farther then my hand.

However, I would enjoy the idea of being a published author. But not for the cash behind it. I love sharing the stories I wrote with others and seeing how it affects them, or how much they enjoyed it/hated it. After all, if you don't share your stories with someone, you'll never know if you need improvement.

7. linden

linden New Member

I am totally the next Stephenie Meyer.

Kidding.

I'm just starting to take my writing seriously, instead of using it as an outlet when I 'feel' like it. But it's always been a casual hobby.

Do I want to get published? Of course. Do I think, realistically that I will? No.

But I never was realistic.

8. bahloo

bahloo New Member

I'm in the same boat as a bunch of you guys. I would be ecstatic if any of my writing made it into a magazine or I actually got a deal with a publisher. However, I know that the chances of that are pretty slim, so I'll just continue to write for fun. I'm not banking on becoming the next best thing to enter the writing world, but if it happens, cool!

9. Mantha Hendrix

Mantha Hendrix New Member

Northern Ireland... the place I've taken for grant
    I would love to... I'd be doing what I love to do for a living, maybe... depends on the deal. I would also love to be a director, maybe even just an indie one.