1. Soodanim

Soodanim Member

Do you lose sleep?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Soodanim, Dec 23, 2012.

So, it's now 1am for me and I'm still awake with my mind racing with character and plot. I can't get to sleep because I simply have to write it out. I know that I have to do this because every time I try to instead sleep, I just lay awake thinking about it.

Stupid brain.

Anyhow, do you ever lose sleep because of your need to write?

2. capturedpotential

capturedpotential Member

For sure. Almost everyone looses sleep I imagine. The most frustrating is when you finally get up to write it, and then you stare at a blank page. Or you write something and can't finish. I stick to short storys for the most part so I don't loose to much sleep. :)

3. Show

Show Contributing Member Contributor

Yep. If my brain is too caught in the plot, it can keep me up. Although sometimes it relaxes me to sleep too, so go figure.

4. Hambone

Hambone Member

Writing makes me so happy that I really think it helps me sleep. Many times I do a little writing before bed, so I tend to go to sleep satisfied. If there is a loose end that I notice that needs more work than I am ready to tackle at that time, I jot it in my notebook for later. I may wrestle with a few things when I first try to get to sleep, but it usually doesn't keep me up.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i don't consider it 'losing' sleep... i keep a notepad and pen on the bed, so i can jot down anything that comes to me in or waiting for sleep... i've perfected a way to write in the dark, so i can go right back to sleep...

6. Tanner05

Tanner05 New Member

Yes, but I also don't look at it as losing sleep.
    I think a writer's mind becomes more productive at night, because everything is quieter and more still than the rest of the day.
    I normally write best at midnight until the sun comes up, although I can't do that much. Stupid real life getting in the way. Lol

7. prettyprettyprettygood

prettyprettyprettygood Active Member

Not anymore. I used to lose a lot of sleep over story thoughts and other things, but I've realised how vital sleep is for me so I've found a few ways of making sure I get a good 8 hours of the dreamless most nights.

I'm a morning person anyway, after lunch it's all downhill for me :p

8. peachalulu

peachalulu Contributing Member Reviewer Contributor

Same here!

9. Soodanim

Soodanim Member

Unfortunately I have severe sleep apnea so getting a good night's rest is vital for me as well. Despite this I only got four hours sleep last night. Between staying up and writing, the temperature being somewhere being Hellish and Unbearable, and this morning having doors slam because someone left them open when they left for work and the wind shifted over night to become quite wild, I think Dog might be conspiring against me.

No sleep for the wicked, right?

10. elbow27

elbow27 Member

Yes, absolutely! I think that's healthy though. A) As soon as you fall asleep your brain begins work processing all of the thoughts you've been having while lying in bed and B) it shows the passion you have for your project.

11. Jon Deavers

Jon Deavers Member

Been there and done that. Very frustrating.

I've also been at work and had an idea pop up and not be able to write it. If anybody's interested there's a really cool free iphone app (probably android too) called Evernote. It's a cloud based notebook app. I drive a lot at work and have ideas going down the highway so I can open this app and record a quick voice note and that way I don't forget. When I get home or to a PC I can go on Evernote's website and the voice recording is already there.

Might work for middle of the night inspiration too maybe.