1. Cacian

Cacian Banned

A story of stories

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Cacian, Jan 4, 2012.

I am thinking of joining say one short storie into another into another.
    Basically bringing two to three stories together to make a new story.
    I have never actually done it before and I am tempted to try it out to see what it would be like.
    The question is how do I do it?

I know there should be a link between them is one possibility.
    The link would be either through topic or characters.

2. spamalope01

spamalope01 New Member

I think you already hit on your answer....or at least in the general area of your answer. Topic or characters. Setting is another thing to consider....but I think the main thing you want to focus on is the overall theme or plot. What do all these stories have in common? Think about chapters of a book....especially when those chapters are told from different POVs and in different settings...yet they all relate to an over arching plot and each are moving the reader (and the characters) towards the climax/conclusion.

If these stories are just independent things and have nothing to do with each other, or if you have no overall plot that you're wanting to achieve with all the stories, then don't try to link them. Don't link them just as a gimmick....that will bite you in the butt.

You could consider ending one on some kind of a cliff hanger, then change into the next one....but keep in mind that you have to resolve the cliff hanger from the first one, either in the second story or one after that.

Some people may say that what you're considering is writing a novel, with each story being a chapter. That's one thing to consider....is that what you want? Or are you trying to create a collection of stories? If it's a collection then generally each story is going to be it's own standalone entity.

So really, the first question you have to answer for yourself is, why are you doing this? What's your goal for the end product? (okay, that's 2 questions....)

3. spamalope01

spamalope01 New Member

I think you already hit on your answer....or at least in the general area of your answer. Topic or characters. Setting is another thing to consider....but I think the main thing you want to focus on is the overall theme or plot. What do all these stories have in common? Think about chapters of a book....especially when those chapters are told from different POVs and in different settings...yet they all relate to an over arching plot and each are moving the reader (and the characters) towards the climax/conclusion.

If these stories are just independent things and have nothing to do with each other, or if you have no overall plot that you're wanting to achieve with all the stories, then don't try to link them. Don't link them just as a gimmick....that will bite you in the butt.

You could consider ending one on some kind of a cliff hanger, then change into the next one....but keep in mind that you have to resolve the cliff hanger from the first one, either in the second story or one after that.

Some people may say that what you're considering is writing a novel, with each story being a chapter. That's one thing to consider....is that what you want? Or are you trying to create a collection of stories? If it's a collection then generally each story is going to be it's own standalone entity.

So really, the first question you have to answer for yourself is, why are you doing this? What's your goal for the end product? (okay, that's 2 questions....)

4. MVP

MVP Member

This has been done about a million times. Its called the Novel.

5. louis1

louis1 Member

that's what i'm doing, in my novel there's 3 main characters with each a different goal and different story.
    that all links up at some point. it's not that hard.
    however it does get quite frustrating when you stumble upon a logical problem that you have to solve or else the whole novel becomes a mess.
    Good luck