1. staceylouise

staceylouise Active Member

Do you post?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by staceylouise, Mar 6, 2014.

Hi guys just wondering, do you post back of book covers in the workshops? Like if you have already come up with one and you want to see if it entices your reader to want to read it when they pick it up and check out the back? And to give a feel of the story without giving much away? How many of you do this?

2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I think posting a synopsis like the one you find on a book jacket is an important piece to get critiques on. While I've not posted mine, I have taken it to my critique group.

3. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Contributor Contributor

Generally a publisher will work that kind of thing out, and the author's choice is rarely the one they stick with. But, as far as I know, you're more than welcome to post them. I'm not entirely sure where, as there's no dedicated section; your user blog, perhaps, with a link in your sig?

4. Jak of Hearts

Jak of Hearts Active Member

If I'm not mistaken your synopsis can be posted in the Query Letter area. That's where I see them posted (as well as where I posted mine).

5. FrankieWuh

FrankieWuh Active Member

D
    Do you mean the blurb? The couple of paragraphs inside the dust cover (if a hardback) or the back of a paperback?

6. staceylouise

Yes the blurb lol

7. FrankieWuh

FrankieWuh Active Member

I'd post this in the publishing forum as this is part of a book's publicity rather than the actual work.
    Just a thought ...

As for blurbs themselves, I always write one, occasionally at the beginning to distil the mood, plot etc into a few lines (kinda like a mini-synopsis), but mostly at the end. If I can sum up the story in a paragraph and make it compelling then I get a better idea as to whether the book is commercial enough.

Gallowglass is right that publishers usually do this themselves for traditionally published books, though I know of a few published authors who write their own blurbs (one editor pinched a blurb from the writer's own website for a book), and for self-published writers it's a key skill to learn.

8. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i also see this as a 'publishing' issue...

9. Mans

Mans Contributor Contributor

No, I didn't. Because I am not going to write a novel completely at present, so I haven't thought about the cover of the book that I have not written it yet. But I chose your idea :
    Have you finished writing a novel or you are planning for future?

10. staceylouise

Yes that's quite what I meant, the blurb, xx

11. staceylouise

I'm still very much in the process of writing, but because it's clear where I am heading with the story and exactly how it will end, who my mc is and everything it's just getting it down on paper.
    I've written a blurb already so that it can be reviewed as to whether it would do just that - be picked up by a member of the audience which it is aimed at, and whether it would be something they would 'want ' to read, and whether it intrigues them. I know as you say that the publisher will be the one to change this later, but what about an ebook? If you create the ebook yourself, I guess you can use whatever blurb you want to in an aim to entice your audience to read???

12. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

yes, if you self-publish in any form, you would write it yourself...