1. solarstarrkatt

solarstarrkatt New Member

Mockingjay

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by solarstarrkatt, Sep 1, 2010.

Okay, so I got it yesterday at 3:45, because I was at school, and I finished it (with some breaks for shower, dinner, and I can't miss TDWT [does that make me uncommited? I read during the commercial breaks]) at 10:12. A new record. And yes I was beat at school today.

I loved and hated the ending.

Spoilers ahead:

I [was] Team Gale (Very dedicated, by the way) and was slightly annoyed. Because one, my best friend lied to me about who died and who didn't. She told me the truth about... one death? [I almost don't want to say who, but I will anyway-] she told me the truth about Finnick.
    This is who she said died and who lived
    -Prim was alive
    -Gale got blown up
    -Haymitch died
    -Finnick died (was being honest 'bout this one)
    I forget who else. She told me during church service.

I had to re-read a lot with this one. I would read something, and have to re-read it because I was genuinely shocked. And I cried like a baby when it was over. I was reminded... of a death in my family... onto other things!
    When Prim died, I was so saddened. It was sudden, and really sad, and I was like, "This can't be real! Noooo!"
    And the pictures I imagined after...
    -A bronze haired, green eyed chubby baby in Annie's arms
    -Octavia (whichever had the mice) holding a mouse and tickling it's belly
    -Katniss's children playing in the Meadow. Camera rolls underground, and bones can be seen
    -A terrified Finnick getting eaten by the mutts
    -Johanna crying
    -Gale growing old with a strange person (or not at all. Again, I was Team Gale)
    -Cinna drawing Katniss's Mockinjay uniform

I'm confused, did Gale kill Prim? If he did, then I don't know... I'm angry, but not :mad: if that makes sense. If he didn't... then why's he living where District 2 was/is? Is it because of what Katniss did? Or were they never really friends? (This is all I want to talk about right now, what's up there. We can discuss other things when I think of them. I'm still shocked.) Oh, and I found what Snow did to the victors disturbing.

I think this one requires a re-reading.

2. JTheGreat

JTheGreat New Member

I read it. I was mostly satisfied by the ending....

I think Gale's and Beetee's traps killed the Capitol children (and in turn, Prim) because President Coin used them as retribution for all the killings that happened during the Games. Maybe. It was really unclear *Scratches Head*.

3. solarstarrkatt

It's sad to see a fantastic series end, but the ride was awesome. And emotional.

4. kaylynwrong

kaylynwrong New Member

Yeah I really enjoyed this book.

I don't know how to use the spoiler thing, so I'll answer your question in a non-spoilerish way, so someone who hasn't read it won't know what I'm talking about.

If he did do it, it was an accident. Or that is what it implied.

Can someone show me how to do the spoiler thing? I guess I'll go see if there's info about that somewhere on these boards.

5. JTheGreat

JTheGreat New Member

You use spoiler tags (the word "Spoiler" in brackets at the beginning, and "/Spoiler" at the end also in brackets).

Like this.

6. solarstarrkatt

Did do do it right?

Yes.
    Anyway
    I want to know the loose but not really important bits. Like what did Katniss and Peeta name their kids? What is of Gale? Mrs. Everdeen? Haymitch?

7. JTheGreat

JTheGreat New Member

Mrs. Everdeen works as a nurse in District 4, because it was too painful for her to stay in a place that reminded her of Prim. Gale works in District 2, probably as military or government. Haymitch... I think Katniss mentioned something about him still living in the Victor's Village, still drinking like a fish. If that wasn't mentioned, it's still highly likely that's how he turned out.

8. kaylynwrong

kaylynwrong New Member

Okay, hopefully this works:

I cried like a baby when I realized Prim was dead. For some reason, that entire section of the book was really confusing me. Either I read it too fast or it just went too fast. I feel like I had a harder time staying on track in this book-so much was happening.

9. solarstarrkatt

Me too! It was just way sad. But hey, at least Collins killed some people in the conclusion, unlike a certain young adult vampire romance novelist we all know about... but that's a different story. I shall miss Finnick. And Prim. RIP. We love you :(

10. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Don't forget to provide enough context around your spoilers so readers can decide if it is wise for them to peek.

11. k.little90

k.little90 Active Member

To be honest, I was kind of disappointed with the ending.... I felt like the author kind of squished a whole bunch of info/action into the last little bit. It all ended up being a little too much for me.

I will say that Suzanne Collins is like the QUEEN of surprises, though.

12. Squidget

Squidget New Member

I loved mocking jay, not as much as the first two, but still good

13. JTheGreat

JTheGreat New Member

Dude, this book has like 406 holds at my library. Good thing I boughts mine.