Do you see pictures in your mind?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Simpson17866, Oct 8, 2016.

?

Do you see pictures in your mind?

1. Yes

18 vote(s)
    90.0%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. Malisky

Malisky Malkatorean Contributor

Have you ever heard of solipsism? Ok. You'll read a definition of it and think you know what I mean when I say this. You've even stumbled upon this word in the past maybe, and started recollecting your memoirs upon it and made a fast assumption as to why I mentioned this specific word, upon what you have written. But what I really mean to say, which I would, with lesser words if I knew you "got" what I said, is that when you think that you "see" and "perceive" the world in the same manner that the rest of human beings do, because it's quite common and too damn obvious as to be analysed to this extend, you would probably fail to spot in which way your way of perceiving things might differ from another human being. Especially if it came down to quite "obvious" things. They would be deemed not worth of mention. And that's why a person that would not be able to optically imagine things in his mind, would be flabbergasted upon the first realization what the majority, so commonly practiced all time along. But I like your skepticism. Skepticism is a good thing. I'm not being Ironic. :)

But of course, this is only an assumption. To be sincere, I'm not 100% sure of what you meant when you said the above. I just hypothesize I understood. And that's philosophy from my distorted point of view. :p

2. Robert Musil

Robert Musil Comparativist Contributor

But that's my point: why would I think someone with this condition would be "marginalized/lesser"?

Simpson17866 likes this.
  3. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

Especially when a founder of Mozilla Firefox is like this

Malisky likes this.
  4. A Culture Mind

A Culture Mind New Member

There's this....uncanny....ability that creatures, particularly humans, have in being able to simulate the world to startling degree in their minds - for example, an author and their characters, especially if the characters are based on historical figures. It's called.....wait for it......empathy.

Oh, I dunno, maybe because it's an artifact of human nature across the millenia?

Dude, how old are you?

5. Malisky

Empathy has nothing to do with what I posted above, love. It's irrelevant. Images might lead to emotions. Emotions might lead to images. But emotions are not images and images are not emotions. Am I getting through to you?

I get the feeling that you don't know what empathy means though... Fascinating. :superthink:

6. A Culture Mind

I know what it's like for you to jones for a smog. Crippling.

7. Malisky

Jones for a smog? Lol. I doubt it. Furthermore, are you sure that empathy means what you think it means mate?

Spencer1990 likes this.
  8. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Eh? Empathy and the ability to recreate sensory input in one's mind are not the same thing.

Edited to add: are we headed for a debate on old-fashioned behaviorism?

Simpson17866 likes this.
  9. Malisky

Nah. I'll just quit. I hate debating in writing form.

Spencer1990 likes this.
  10. Simpson17866

How is describing sexual orientation as being the result of "childhood emotional trauma" neutral? Do you feel the same way about heterosexuality?

Early-20s, why?

11. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

From reading the second of the OPs posts, I got the notion that folk with aphantasia have a problem with memory that doesn't involve logical stuff like letters, numbers, concepts, etc. They can't conjure up feelings or sensations from their past. A blind person (blind from birth) won't have memory of any visual things, but will be able to conjure up smells, sounds, tastes, feelings, sensations from past experiences, and maybe imagine them. So yes, imagination is more than pictures.

I found it fascinating what the guy said about music. He can't hear it in his head, and for him there are no earworms.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  12. A Culture Mind

IT'S THA CHI-CKEN FREAAK! Chicken. Freak. Gorp gorp gorp. You gonna be my Huck...I maen chicken-berrae?

I think maliksy is saying she believes there's at at least significant degreee of solipsism in the human condition. When people don't just state things about themselves, I tend to blow off what they say till Big Mind says, 'OY, MAYBE DIS!' I typically don't care for poetry, neither, so......

@Malisky: your posting in the 'peace' thread say otherwise. Jon-ser, jon-ser. Humans tend toward addiction. And mostly, it's detrimental - unless it's for anal - an then they should come a ca-llin..... Ahm, but not those fisting freaks. Fuck.

@Simpson17866: Ah noo et. Ya read like a squirt. Goddamn smart, but quite green.

I ain't said nothin no way on that about what and how I feel, beau. Take the lesson.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  13. Simpson17866

What do you mean?

14. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I do see where you're getting that impression, but he did, for example, conjure up the feelings that he first had when he learned that people DO see pictures in their heads. So I agree that he can't conjure up sensations, but it does seem that he can conjure up feelings, in the sense of emotions, and the memory of feelings. And he writes fiction, so he clearly has an imagination.

I suspect that I simply can't understand what imagination is like without mental virtual reality. I'm confident that it exists, but I don't think that I can comprehend it.

jannert likes this.
  15. jannert

Yeah, it's very strange, for sure ...at least to those of us who don't seem to experience this state of mind. I had no idea this condition existed. I'll be careful about advising people to imagine scenes in order to write them, etc. Maybe some of them can't.

16. Simpson17866

Do you think you'll be writing any characters with this anytime soon ;)

jannert likes this.
  17. jannert

No, probably not. I can't imagine writing a character whom I don't understand to this extent. My imagination has limits, and I would no doubt do them a disservice.

18. A Culture Mind

In instances like this I keep looking off to the side and blinking, which brings to mind the image of Hawkeye.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016