Do you talk to yourself

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Leaka, Aug 20, 2009.

1. jonathan hernandez13

jonathan hernandez13 Contributor Contributor

No no, I know you were joking, I wasn't referring to you exactly, although I did directly quote you.

I took advantage of you to make a precedence for how the public is still ignorant of the peculiarities of mental illness.

I'm sorry that you love people affected by it and for misrepresenting your statements.

2. CharlieVer

CharlieVer Contributor Contributor

No problem. We agree, and I support your statements about mental illness and education, and I support any effort to spread the truth about such matters!

(I'm sort of glad now, that I made the joke, if only to provide the opening for what you stated!)

Keep up the good work!

Charlie

3. BillyxRansom

BillyxRansom Active Member

basically he made an example out of you ok

alright sorry that was a tad bit rude. i jest! no hard feelings!

4. I don't talk to my characters.
    But I mumble my sentences out loud as I write to hear how they sound...

5. Eddyz Aquila

Eddyz Aquila New Member

Always. :)
    It's really important when it comes to the dialogue.

And when I try to describe, I always "dream" and when it comes to action, I act it all by myself. Kind of weird, but gives me a better picture on how to put it into words.

6. Amo_angelus

Amo_angelus New Member

Not in the same way as the OP, but yeah. I talk to myself all the time. I'll be walking down the streets having enntire conversations between multiple characters, eneacting it in my head and developing characters as I go. I will do this for ages before ever starting a story. I like to know my characters very well before I write them, and I do that in my head and by talking to myself. Although I swear most of the people who see me, think I'm insane...and now y'all probably do too....

7. Seppuku

Seppuku New Member

I had to ask myself before realising. ;)

Normally I just imagine my characters in different situations and might even think about it during the day when I'm not writing, so I don't talk to them, but they follow me around and they may even talk to me and I might imagine a response, but that's as far as it'd go, normally it's just my character interacting with other characters.

8. stormy

stormy New Member

Yes i also talk to myself, have conversations with myself and now and then when i forget myself i have the tendancy to argue with myself, much to the amusement of my cat.

9. Bid my bood

Bid my bood New Member

I talk to my charicters out loud mainly when i am about to put a twist in its like someone is there going dont forget the why when where how what... but than i may belong in an asylum...

10. CharlieVer

CharlieVer Contributor Contributor

Although I don't "talk to my characters," sometimes (last night) I'm lying in bed, and parts of my book go through my head and I think of new approaches to various scenes (including dialogue...which could be thought of as me "hearing them talking.")

They don't "talk to me" in the sense that they say, "Hey, Charlie...what are you doing lying in bed thinking about me?" They talk to each other (as they would in the scene in my book) but of course, they're all "me" since none of them really exist...so in that sense, every time one of them talks, it's me talking to me, that is, a character in my imagination talking to another character in my imagination.

Charlie

11. Vagabond284

Vagabond284 New Member

Yes, I talk to myself. Only way to guarantee intelligent conversation XD

In seriousness, though, I sometimes will speak out the dialogues I've written to see if they have a natural feel to them. Of course, I will sometimes do this on the bus, walking through a grocery store, etc.... so I do get lots of odd looks :D

12. Etan Isar

Etan Isar Contributor Contributor

Sure, I talk to myself all the time. Speaking out lout is a great way to focus, and it helps organize your thoughts, because you can't skimp on structure by using visual shortcuts. And it's even usually about writing... though not always.:eek: