Do you tell people you a writer?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by huskies, Sep 4, 2014.

1. DromedaryLights

DromedaryLights Active Member

Personally I consider myself more of a lexicography-mage, but that's just me.

Serious answer: Have never called self a writer.

123456789 likes this.
  2. daemon

daemon Contributor Contributor

That question has no context, but if he asks me if I am a basketball player, then I might say, "in my spare time."

3. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

If you did that, you'd be exploiting a technicality in the English language. It would be fair to say that, but the impression it gives is that you're a professional.

Alexa C. Morgan likes this.
  4. PensiveQuill

PensiveQuill Senior Member

Only if I want people to offer me indulgent smiles and assurances that one day when I'm good enough I might get something published.

This is one of those occupations where people love to pour cold water on your aspirations, for no other reason than they settled for being an accountant so when you grow up you should too. People offered me the same condescension when I declared I wanted to work in my current job but I go there anyway.

Best not to look for encouragement amoung garden variety people, you wont get it.

cutecat22 and matwoolf like this.
  5. Swiveltaffy

Swiveltaffy Contributor Contributor

I would say, to be fair, when the topic of classifying oneself in such a way (e.g. "I'm a writer.") it is likely rather informal. If you tell someone that you're a writer, I don't think they immediately assume that you've been published and therefore live off it. As well, I think addressing yourself as a writer is a personal deal. It's all baseless in the end (to do it or not to). It's like (not really, but I'm trying to poorly illustrate something here) questioning whether or not you should talk to someone about entirely personal problems. You could say doing so is selfish, and you should keep it to yourself and not burden others, and that's works on paper; however, sometimes people just need to do that kinda stuff.

Maintain an air that is devoid of arrogance (mostly) then you ought be good, I'd think.

6. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

I tell people I'm a writer. Why not? Not all people, obviously, because I have my other profession and another semi-pro hobby, so it depends who I'm talking to. Sometimes it can be hard to decide which of my jobs to admit to, when I meet someone new, though.

cutecat22 likes this.
  7. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

People who call themselves writers before other people see them that way are doing it to boost their ego. It's pathetic. Who cares anyway. Just get on with the writing.

8. daemon

Are you a writer?

9. DromedaryLights

Let's all go to our rooftops tonight and shout "I. AM. A. WRITER."

Renee J, jazzabel and cutecat22 like this.
  10. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

Or they're saying that because that's what they do and that's who they are?

cutecat22 likes this.
  11. Selbbin

I take it you didn't read my sig.

My answer is no, despite having the occasional feature film made and article published. But I do aspire to be considered one. Because frankly, it doesn't matter what I think. What do you think? Labels are not for me, they are for other people to use when referencing me. It's up to them.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
    123456789 likes this.
  12. EllBeEss

EllBeEss Senior Member

I tell certain people that I write but I don't tell people I'm a writer. I think of myself as a writer but I prefer to let other people make up their own mind whether they see it as a waste of time, a hobby or something more. As far as I'm concerned its what I love and that's all that matters.

13. daemon

Nah, I pulled a lawyer on you: never ask a question you do not know the answer to. ;-)

What do I think? I do not think; I know you are a writer: you are the writer of the occasional feature film and a published article.

cutecat22 likes this.
  14. Selbbin

Damn lawyers ;)

Anyway, it's all just my own opinion. In the end people can do as they like as long as it isn't harmful to others.

15. Jaro

Jaro Active Member

When you drive a car, you are a driver. Just because you aren't a NASCAR driver doesn't change the fact that you are a driver.

When you write, you are a writer. Be it for hobby or for money. The question would then become 'Are you a published author?' Big difference between those two. But just because you haven't been published doesn't take away from what you have done.

I consider myself a musician. I have written and recorded several songs. Am I on a label? No. Do I have an album on the music shelf in Walmart? Nope. Neither do I tour or do live shows. That doesn't take away from what I have done, though.

Renee J, Komposten, huskies and 2 others like this.
  16. LeighAnn

LeighAnn Member

I do call myself a writer, but I didn't before I actually made money at it. To me, that would have been disingenuous. If someone asked me what I did in my spare time, I'd respond with my hobbies at the time, which included writing, knitting, sewing, and drawing (stick people, but it's still a hobby). It wasn't until I published that writing moved from the 'hobby' column to the 'profession' column.

If you're going to call yourself a writer when in front of others, be prepared for the condescending smile followed by, "Oh? What have you published? Why don't I know your name?"

123456789, Vandor76 and cutecat22 like this.
  17. Selbbin

Well, that makes every literate person on the planet who's ever written an email or letter or just their name a writer. Not really worth making the distinction then, is it?

What's the point of the term if it holds no value?

18. DromedaryLights

One time I got really high and postulated that the universe as we know it is merely an illusion, so I'm actually a philosopher too.

An amateur writer is still a writer, of sorts, but will probably get some funny looks if he/she calls him/herself one.

123456789 likes this.
  19. Selbbin

Cool. And I once hammered a nail into a piece of wood, so tend to call myself a carpenter.

Komposten and DromedaryLights like this.
  20. DromedaryLights

We are such multi-talented people.

cutecat22 likes this.
  21. Swiveltaffy

Swiveltaffy Contributor Contributor

In all seriousness, though, it could be, and we'd never know the difference. One could even say that perception is merely the illusion of existence.

22. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

Gawd, not another "Yes I am!" "No you're not!" discussion. Dictionary says if you write, you're not only a writer, you're an author! OMG!

What I call myself depends on context. If someone is asking what I do for a living, I tell them where my paycheck comes from. Some day I hope to include writer/author as a source of income - but that doesn't mean I am not a writer/author. If others don't like the fact that you call yourself a writer/author - well, that's their ego problem, not yours.

23. daemon

There are plenty of more specific terms and phrases: "novelist", "full-time writer", "bestselling author", "professional screenwriter", "copywriter", "essayist", and the list goes on and on and on.

And a writer is not just something you either are or are not. You are a writer to a different degree than someone else is a writer. Someone who has written a million words intended for wide audiences in the last year and continues to write every day is more of a writer than someone who wrote an email last month.

24. Selbbin

There sure are, but that wasn't the OP's question.

And the analogy given was weak, hence my point.

25. Selbbin

I thought this was a 'do you?', 'do you not?' discussion.