Do you tell people you a writer?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by huskies, Sep 4, 2014.

1. edamame

edamame Contributor Contributor

I say I write, but I don't really call myself a writer since I don't do it for a living or have something significant published. I think the word carries a lot of expectations.

Vandor76 likes this.
  2. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

Which dissolves into "You are" "You aren't" via "you should" "you shouldn't".

jazzabel and Fullmetal Xeno like this.
  3. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue...

DromedaryLights likes this.
  4. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

You want to be considered an "actual" writer? Don't waste the energy of this weightless argument and help yourself get further with where you want to be. We should all respect your viewpoint, but there's no need for this constant need to bicker with people who are only providing their way of seeing things.
    I was absent for over a year on these forums and sadly nothing has changed. More useless jargon that have almost entirely the same definition in one way or another.

jazzabel likes this.
  5. Selbbin

I thought I was having a bit of fun with it and not taking it very seriously. My mistake.

cutecat22 likes this.
  6. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

My discrepancy if you were not meaning it, but that's what i interpreted

7. elynne

elynne Active Member

it's part of my self-description, along with a lot of other things. it certainly isn't my sole identity, though it is a very important part of my core.

8. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I don't call myself a writer. If somebody asks what I'm doing these days, I say I've written a novel and am working on a second one, but that I haven't approached any agents or published online yet.

The thing is ...if you say "I'm a writer," the next thing folks are going to ask is "What have you written?" Or "Where can I get a copy of your book?" If nothing has been published yet, it just sounds stupid.

I do think of myself as a writer, but that's not how I describe myself to others. In fact, I try NOT to describe myself. I have lots of interests and hobbies, and have worked lots of different kinds of jobs during my lifetime. I would not single any one of them out as descriptive of me.

Okay ...if pressed ...I'm a Jack Of All Trades, Master Of None. But still learning all the time...

9. cutecat22

cutecat22 The Strange One Contributor

Then the listener would be at fault for making the wrong assumption, he should then ask another question to clarify, "which team do you play for?" "Oh I just play at the weekends, for fun ..."

People ask me what I do, I tell them my day job or I tell them I'm an author depending on who I'm talking to.

For four years, I organised and ran a Cross Stitch club at a local primary school. I was in charge of up to 15, 10-12 year olds where I would teach them the art of cross stitch embroidery. But I wouldn't call myself a teacher as I am not a qualified teacher.

But then that leads to the question, what makes you a qualified writer?

Publication? Recognition? Qualification? Fans? Just Writing?

10. Selbbin

For some it's important to be a writer.

For others it's important to write.

123456789, daemon, Komposten and 2 others like this.
  11. cutecat22

I've never had that reply yet. But I have had them look at me with wide eyes and say "Really? You actually sit and write?"

The mind boggles.

12. elynne

elynne Active Member

for some, it's important to be both... and for some, neither. but the point is well-taken here, at least.

13. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

It seems a few people don't do it because of expectations. I don't see any problem with this sort of conversation:

Q. Hey, what do you do?
    A. I wear a few different hats, but my main work is writing.
    Q. Really? That's awesome, where can I get your book?
    A. I'm currently working on a novel, so hopefully, in not too long, you'll be able to read it.
    Q. That's cool, good luck!

I had this sort of conversation loads of times with people, I don't see a problem in explaining, nor do I care if anyone wants to be condescending. People who don't write and who don't know a writer, often have misconceptions about the fact that if I spend four to eight hours most days writing, for several years now, and have several completed projects, means that I am a writer even if I didn't start efforts at publishing yet. Nobody said people can't have several jobs, and we just spent decades explaining to the world that being a housewife is a full time occupation, even if we do it for free. So...

14. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I've also discovered that once you tell people you're working on a novel, they start pestering you ...when will it be done, when can I read it, is it done yet, etc. I didn't tell ANYBODY I was writing a novel until the first draft was nearly finished. That was actually a fun period for me. That feeling of hey, I did it was unmarred by other people's expectations.

cutecat22 likes this.
  15. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

@jannert : I wonder if it depends on the attitude. I'm quite clear about whether I want to share it now or later, and whether I want to be asked about it all the time. People ask me 'how's your book going?" I reply honestly ( good, great, been in a backburner for a month etc), "When will it be ready?" - I give them a time-frame or answer non-specifically. I find people want to read the finished product anyway, so once they realise it won't be done for a while, they ask only occasionally.

16. cutecat22

and then there are those who just ask one of the following questions which is one sure fire way of making sure we put you in our book as a character. (and then kill you in a most horrible way).

10. Have I read anything you’ve written?
    (simple answer if you want a good comeback "I don't know, do you read well written books?"
    9. Have you ever had anything published?

8. “How much money do you make?”

7. “Where do you get your ideas?”

6. “Will you write my great story idea and then split the income with me?”

5. “If you help me write my life story, I’ll split the income with you after we sell the book.”

4. “I’m going to write a book someday when I have time.”

3. “Will you read my manuscript?”

2. “Will you read the manuscript of my offspring/spouse/sibling/parent?”

1. “Will you introduce me to your agent?”

And the absolute worst thing a spouse can ask, is: "Have you nearly finished that book or what?"

jazzabel likes this.
  17. MustWrite

MustWrite Member

I am a writer. I know this as surely as I know anything. I write. I write because I have to, it is a need; like eating, drinking or sleeping. I write and I am a writer. I earn most of my money from other sources, but really I can do a great many jobs that do not define me. To myself I say I am a Writer, because I know it to be true. I can not imagine living without writing.
    Am I a good writer? I spend as much time and and focus and brains as I can on being the best writer I can be. It really doesn't matter to me what value others put on my writing, or what ridiculous assumptions they might make about me if I do choose to say 'I'm a writer'.
    How many lazy idiots have we heard say "I could write a novel if I wanted to/had the time/didn't have more important things to do like working at my dead end job and smugly sitting on my butt the rest of the time." Well, woopdeedo. I am writing. And some day I will hold my novel in my hands and at that moment I won't care about anyone's opinion but my own.

cutecat22 likes this.
  18. Mike Hill

Mike Hill Natural born citizen of republic of Finland.

I tell it proudly to almost everybody. But not in some situations where it might label me a nerd.

19. obsidian_cicatrix

obsidian_cicatrix I ink, therefore I am. Contributor

I've given this some thought. No... I don't consider myself a writer. I'm someone who happens to write, but I also compose and play music. I draw, paint and photo-manipulate. I also dance. Do I consider myself a composer/musician, an artist, a dancer? Nah... I'm just someone who has an active interest in all these things. I suspect my hobby net is flung so wide that I'm a Jack of all, but Master of none. As long as I'm loving what I'm doing, a label doesn't mean anything to me.

Komposten and jannert like this.
  20. daemon

daemon Contributor Contributor

Yup. The "writer" label is descriptive, not prescriptive, at least to me. It is not even important that I write per se; I have started writing something and it is important that it gets written. (i.e. I did not decide to write and then find something to write about; I encountered something, decided it needed to be written about, then decided to take on that responsibility.)

21. Renee J

Renee J Senior Member

I'm waiting until I feel like I know what I'm doing before I call myself a writer.

Komposten likes this.
  22. Nightstar99

Nightstar99 Senior Member

You can tell people you are whatever you want them to think you are. But better be ready to back it up.

Personally I would rather not identify myself as something in which I have as yet had no critical or commercial success.

But I would really like to!

23. ChaosReigns

ChaosReigns Ov The Left Hand Path Contributor

ive had that conversation a couple of times, people tend to look at me like im crazy when i tell them that the project im currently working on is a series, and that im about half way through it.

their response normally is when are you getting the first one published
    my reply is always: when ive finished writing and editing the series, which i believe is going to be 3/4 books
    then i get the thats cool part,

i seem to hang out with the people who ask a little about it, then dont pester me again on it, which is nice...

jazzabel likes this.
  24. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I've got about twenty novels either published or contracted, and I don't call myself a writer. I have a day job and it's my 'public' face, so I call myself by that profession.

And I don't even mention writing as a hobby, to be honest, because I think it would lead into a much larger conversation than I'm generally interested in having. It's strange, having a secret identity, but kinda fun, too!

jannert likes this.
  25. cutecat22

this is one (but not the main one) reason why I have a pseudonym. Whatever I'm doing, I can decide which person I am at that moment in time. The one with the day job or the writer.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
    BayView and jazzabel like this.