1. The95Writer

The95Writer Active Member

Do you write in coffee shops or cafe's?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by The95Writer, Mar 10, 2014.

Just curious, I have read that they are a good place to write if one didn't want to stay home.
    What do you think?

2. Wreybies

Wreybies The Ops Pops Operations Manager Staff Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor

No. They're not what they were in Parisian or Andalusian days of old. I do sometimes go there to work, though. When I need to get out of the house and need internet access.

3. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Neither. I need to be near by books, and in the quiet, and preferably without any hipsters around.

Alesia, Glen Snow and Thomas Kitchen like this.
  4. Larissa Redeker

Larissa Redeker Active Member

When I have time and go to a cafe, I do. I bought a tablet just for write and read (well, only when I'm alone, but even when I'm with friends I had an idea and make annotations)

Saturday I was in the house of a friend, we made barbecue for lunch, and after it, when people was playing with Nerfs, I was writing! A little, only annotations, but an important part of the book (but when the host brought the bow my elf side forgot that I was writing)

I don't need quiet, or books, or music, or coffee. I can write at home, playing The Sims, at cafes, in the bus. I need only wake up my writer neuron, he like to sleep a lot :(

5. jazzabel

jazzabel Contributing Member Contributor

I wish I could write in caf├ęs, but before I started writing this time around, I got really bad asthma so I don't get to go out as much as I used to. But I used to write outside before, mainly in the beach-front cafes or the beach, and it's really wonderful. But it has to be a relaxed environment where I can sit tucked away somewhere, and feel like I have some privacy.

6. Foxe

Foxe Active Member

Even though there were negative comments posted about going to cafes to write (associating it with hipsters, which is not untrue), I don't mind admitting that I go to a cafe to write sometimes. There's nothing wrong with it if you get your work done.
    My family owned a cafe, and many authors had written their novels there -- including Margaret Atwood!

The argument is the same that students have about studying in public places, libraries or at home. To each their own.

Edit to add: The cafes I go to are within walking distance. I wouldn't go somewhere too far for it, unless it was some place exceptionally exceptional.

KatieValino likes this.
  7. Glen Snow

Glen Snow Member

The closest cafe/coffee shop with internet access is a good 30 miles away from my house. So I mostly write at home. When I feel like getting out I go walk around sit on a rock, climb a tree, act about 10 years younger than I am. I also prefer to do most my writing on paper which makes it a bit easier to write in a tree.

jannert and minstrel like this.
  8. Robert_S

Robert_S Contributing Member

Libraries. For the most part, they are quiet and have wifi.

9. David K. Thomasson

David K. Thomasson Contributing Member

No.

10. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributing Member Contributor

No! Can't focus on writing with all those things going on around me, conversations, noice, people watching etc.Plus I feel like someone is looking over my shoulder as I write and that makes me paralysed. Same thing with trains, libraries, etc. I only ever write at home/somewhere I feel at home and where I have a room of my own. I sometimes wish I was one of those who can write wherever they are, but fortunately I don't really need that ability, since I don't live with anyone.

11. Alesia

Alesia Pen names: AJ Connor, Carey Connolly Contributor

We don't even have coffee shops or cafe' where I live... unless you count the Waffle House.

Nightstar99 likes this.
  12. Wowzie

Wowzie Member

It seems to me that, if you're comfortable, and if the vibe is good, one should write at cafe's, so to be a part of your community.

13. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

It cost like $8 for a muffin and $10 for a cup of anything. No, absolutely no. When coffee shops start thinking about customers that might hang around for the atmosphere, and not the yuppies that care more about the logo on their coffee cup instead of the taste or price of their coffee...then, just maybe then...I might decide to get a laptop computer.

14. sunsplash

sunsplash Bona fide beach bum

Between the Magic City & the Conch Republic
    With the exception of the Starbucks's inside my B&N a few times in college, no. I much prefer privacy and no public distractions.

15. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Sometimes I just have to get out of my house to work. Don't know why, it just takes all the distractions away. I prefer a place I can get breakfast, doesn't matter the time of day.

16. Selbbin

Selbbin I hate you Contributor

I used to write in cafes all the time, but rarely do it anymore. Now I've switched to bars.

Another good place to write is the bars/cafes of five star hotels. You get the ambiance, have service, feel like you need to be busy, and yet it's also a private space with comfortable chairs.

jazzabel likes this.
  17. jannert

jannert Contributing Member Supporter Contributor

Well, there's JK Rowling ...who wrote the first Harry Potter book in a cafe in Edinburgh.

Me? No. I work on a desktop computer, and because my writing requires tons of research, I need my books and materials to hand. However, I can see where a laptop might be fun, if you liked working in a place like a cafe. I think the bottom line would be: is it the kind of cafe where you'd be constantly pestered, or is it the sort of place where they'd leave you to it?

Whatever works best, works best.

18. Macaberz

Macaberz Pay it forward Contributor

Whilst I haven't often found myself writing in either cafe's or libraries, I have no trouble working there. I actually do most of my writing on the train since I have to travel alot (3 hours total every working day). Good thing our public transport provides free internet access, otherwise I'd be at a loss for resources. Truth be told, I do also work a lot at home, but on a sheer hour count the train's going to win.

19. 123456789

123456789 Contributing Member Contributor

Can't. I would absolutely die if someone walked behind my computer screen and saw me working on a novel.

jazzabel likes this.
  20. Mackers

Mackers Contributing Member

Why is there such an aversion to hipsters? :D I'd used to see a lot of them about university. There's not much to say about them other than they wear quirky clothes...

jazzabel likes this.
  21. Burlbird

Burlbird Contributing Member Contributor

coffe shop, cafe's.... I choose kafana! :)

jazzabel likes this.
  22. vera2014

vera2014 Contributing Member

I read about one author who went to a cottage to write her first draft using pencil and paper. I wouldn't mind having my own cottage. I think her name was Jude Deveraux.

23. The95Writer

The95Writer Active Member

Wow, wasn't expecting this many responses. Mixed opinions. I am new to writing in book length so I have never gone outside to write my book, but it can be something to consider.

24. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Staff Supporter Contributor

No, never. There's crappy music --which is the biggest no-no -- too many people, expensive coffee and cake, sticky tables, smelly toilets, and browsing the internet is slower on my laptop.

Lemex likes this.
  25. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributing Member Contributor

I actually like writing in cafe's -- Starbucks or Panerra. They have internet connections, although I prefer not to use them too much, especially for any secure sites, so I tend to drift onto the internet less if I'm out. I'm less distracted than when I'm at home, so I often get a good chunk written.