1. seixal

seixal New Member

Do you write in more than one language?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by seixal, Jan 7, 2016.

Due to my personal history, I happen to have a native-level command of Portuguese and French. However, having to the US some 6 years, I am now very familiar with English as well. Nonetheless I feel that when engaging in writing as an art, I am able to produce in much more natural and sublte ways in Portuguese or French, than in English.
    Do you write in more than one language, or just one? Do you think I should give up on English?

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Contributing Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I used to be able to write in French when I was younger. It wasn't anything good, however, so I chose to focus on improving my writing skills in just one language (English).

You definitely shouldn't give up writing in English. Being able to write in multiple languages is a good thing. From a practical point of view, you should write in the language you're most comfortable with and have the most command over. It makes the publication process a lot easier. But while you're writing in French or Portuguese, keep practicing writing in English. Hopefully one day you'll be able to publish works in all three languages. :agreed:

3. ArcticOrchid

ArcticOrchid Member

I started writing creatively to improve my english (second language) when I moved to the UK when I was 14. Now after 6 years of living and more importantly studying in the UK I need to start writing in my native language to improve the grammar (which is much more complex than English) in my native language.