1. robertpri007

robertpri007 New Member

Do you write the genre that you love to read?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by robertpri007, Oct 12, 2012.

It's been many years since I was first published, but my first attempt at a ms took place in San Francisco, as the Viet Nam War was winding down. This was the tail end of the hippie era, peace movements, sex, drugs and rock and roll. SF was a bizarre city. I sent it to perhaps fifty agents before one finally replied with positive remarks.

We talked on the phone and she said, "I love your characters and the drama, but I could never sell it." She then listed a valid dozen reasons.

She asked what I like to read, and I told her spy and espionage stories. Deighton, Le Carre' and the like.

She suggested that I write a spy story. I had no idea how, but then drew on a hundred books and movies that I enjoyed.

It worked, and I am ready to try again.

So, do you write the kind of stories that you love to read?

2. Rose Hunt

Rose Hunt Member

Definately!!! I love to read scary stories or disaster movies. So I write that genre better than others.

3. James Berkley

James Berkley Banned

yeah, i like science fiction and historical fiction. so i am writing a science fiction story.
    i think my English major wishes i was writing a historical fiction, she has a wicked low opinion of Science fiction.

4. Thromnambular

Thromnambular New Member

I do, only fantasy. Though I love sci fi too, just haven't approached it in terms of writing yet.

5. TheTrain

TheTrain New Member

Yep, only fantasy, I was mostly inspired by Tolkien. I read The Hobbit when I was eight, and by the time I was ten and read the LotR trilogy I knew I wanted to be a writer. I still can't write like he did, but I've tried my best.

6. A.L.Mitchell

A.L.Mitchell Active Member

Yes I do. I love crime thrillers, so I'm writing a crime thriller.

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I love to read a variety of genres. My favorite is probably science fiction, and that is primarily what I write.

Why would you expect someone to answer any other way? Would YOU put that much work into a writing genre you don't care about?

8. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Sort of. I like to read a lot of odd stuff. I like horror. But I don't primarily write horror. I think
    I like horror because it showcases ordinary people trapped in odd situations, which is what I
    love to write. But I don't necessarily write with a genre in mind too stifling.

9. robertpri007

robertpri007 New Member

No, I would not. But over the years I have attended writing workshops where some attendees wrote genres they believed could be more commercially successful.
    And others selected specific genres because they were more popular at the time, and in theory, more apt to be published.

10. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

There are far easier ways to whore yourself out. :)

11. captain kate

captain kate Senior Member

I stick to science fiction with a combination of military black ops and the spy genre thrown in. I've always preferred a more fast paced story, such as "In Fury Born" by Weber more then something like Tolkien-not putting him down.

12. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I love historical mystery books and history in general, so I like to write stuff set in historical times. xD You'd be surprised at the wealth of stories that exists in the annals of human history! xD

13. Michelle7

Michelle7 New Member

Ouch. But i have to agree. Write what you love to read. That is what you are drawn to. why would you write any thing else?

14. squirrelpen

squirrelpen New Member

I write stories that I love to read like inspirational stories and mystery but since I also want others to read my stories, I include events that will interest my readers. For example, I am not really into romantic scenes but since my books aim to target teenagers, I will try to include a little romance since I know that teenager love romantic novels. I also apply my knowledge and experience in my stories for it to be more realistic. Since I work in the hospitality industry, I try to include hotel as a setting or characters that work in hotels.

15. Elvee

Elvee New Member

I'll be brave and speak my truth: no. I don't love what I read in my genre, but I love the idea of it. I love what it could be. That is what I try to write. That is why I am also my own worst enemy. :)

16. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

I write 'commercial' genre screenplays, but not novels. My novels are all literary fiction and mostly unsellable. That's ok. The writing provides me with enough satisfaction. I've considered writing sci-fi and action novels because my screenplays are fun to read, or so I've been told many times (as opposed to most which are dull as grey mud.)

For me, commercial novels are far less satisfying to write than commercial screenplays. It's odd, because I can't write dramatic films, yet indulge in dramatic fiction.