1. Cacian

Cacian Banned

do your stories have feelings?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Cacian, Jan 16, 2012.

After you have finished your story and read it to yourself, what feelings does it usually entails to you then hopefully to your reader?
    In other words
    what feelings do you wish normally to convery through stories from beginning to end?
    For example:
    emotions can be high/low/positive/comforting and promosing.

I usually like my stories to retain a constant jovial and slightley childish/innocent air to them.
    This is how I would like my stories to come through.
    Being aware and understanding your feelings is knowing who you are.
    The same should be said about your stories, or at least this is how I see it.

2. akexodia

akexodia Member

"Every author in some way portrays himself in his works, even if it be against his will" - Goethe
    I am more of a 'sharp eye' kind of guy. Keen observations under the veil of silent presence is how i normally am. This does reflect in the overal tone of my story. It has a mysterious, dark (trust/mistrust thingy) touch to it. I want the readers to be at the edge of their seats while they read it.

3. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

All of my stories have feelings, unless it's a parody of some sort it's supposed to be stupid lol.

4. Blue Night

Blue Night Active Member

My stories have very deep feelings.

5. TheWritingWriter

TheWritingWriter New Member

I think my stories have feelings, or generally give off a certain vibe. Some of my stories are suspenseful, dark, and mind-bending. Some are light and happy. Some are sweet and romantic. Some are sick and twisted. I love reading stories that make me feel, so I try to do that for my readers.

6. Kallithrix

Kallithrix Banned

Oh well, ya know, just love, lust, rage, hatred, revenge, fear, jealousy, betrayal, grief, remorse, more hatred and revenge... nothing heavy ;)

7. Cacian

Cacian Banned

as oppose to shallow?!!!:)

Lots of emotions you have there...I am not keen on siock and twisted as I do not understand that.
    Humm....what if a reader does not get all these emotions because the more complex and twisted they get the harder they may come across to those who only wish peace in their lives.

8. isnotgood

isnotgood New Member

Well, because my stories usually are about the economic situation here in Greece most of them have anger as feeling. Sometimes it has questionable feelings if we could say that as a phrase because i write about our wrong things as Greek citizens and not only about the politicians who really did shit on us.

To the other blog i have which is a sport one about news of my favourite team PAOK, the feelings goes as the team went in the last games. You know if it lost it will be anger and dissapointment if it won then it will be happiness.

9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

stories don't have feelings... they can only generate feelings in the readers... characters in the stories can and of course should have feelings, but since a story isn't a living thing, it can't...

and each story should ideally generate its own particular melange of emotions in its readers... some writers may only write stories that make their readers feel happy and contented while others may prefer to leave theirs feeling disturbed, or angry... and still others may not even think about how their readers are going to feel, wanting only to tell a good story, period...

but not every story will affect every reader the same way, since readers bring their own emotional baggage with them when they read and that will affect how the story will make them feel...

for instance, a woman who's just survived a very painful breakup may be angered by a story with a happy ending... or a guy who just got fired and is depressed may feel better after reading one about someone who turned their life around...